FFB plugin (v2.6 upd 08.02.2022) / AT plugin

supric

Re: FFB plugin (v2.5 upd 30.01.2017) / AT plugin

#1091 Post by supric » 21 Feb 2017 18:40

i think it can work, but range 240 degrees is not good.
Cadde

#1092 Post by Cadde » 22 Feb 2017 01:33

Should work, same API right?
But yes, 240 degrees is going to be difficult to control. You are going to have to use an insane amount of steering nonlinearity to keep a straight line.
On extended hiatus.
supric

#1093 Post by supric » 22 Feb 2017 10:16

Cadde wrote:But yes, 240 degrees is going to be difficult to control. You are going to have to use an insane amount of steering nonlinearity to keep a straight line.
You can set in plugin's ini "steer_range" between 5 and 10 (i'm using 20 for G27)
and set up steering curve in controls.sii, for example, linear between -90/+90 and high-non-linear outside.

and it will be ok on straight line ))
Skeleth

#1094 Post by Skeleth » 22 Feb 2017 18:31

supric wrote:
Cadde wrote:But yes, 240 degrees is going to be difficult to control. You are going to have to use an insane amount of steering nonlinearity to keep a straight line.
You can set in plugin's ini "steer_range" between 5 and 10 (i'm using 20 for G27)
and set up steering curve in controls.sii, for example, linear between -90/+90 and high-non-linear outside.

and it will be ok on straight line ))
Can i see somewhere my nonlinear settings i use ingame because the polishing took me a lot of time and i could use it for this plugin.
mekjolle

#1095 Post by mekjolle » 22 Feb 2017 20:17

RE:
Suddenly my plugin stopped working from one time to another. Only about 1 hour break. Haven't changed anything.
How can this be?

Running 32 bit version.

Supric can u help?
sketch

Re: FFB plugin (v2.4 [rel] ATS compatible) / AT plugin

#1096 Post by sketch » 28 Feb 2017 19:50

supric wrote:
And if it's a side impact on the trailer, you feel it in the wheel because it pulls the truck askew.
You feel it by hands on steering wheel? I think no. You feel it by your ass mostly. And all the body feels high slowing accelerations. Head and neck too. But steering wheel doesn't shakes left or right. Except one case, if other car hits you exactly in forward axle from left or right.

So, plugin will never support "crashing accidents" FFB.

1) (main one reason) Telemetry doesn't send any info about collision.
2) Crushing FFB support is just a waste of my time. This game is not for crashing. Drive safely & enjoy.
It would also be nice if you felt something when going over speed bumps. Such as in some towns to slow you down or when entering/exiting business lots.
I already post here a videos of my own exp. I can repeat it.

frontal speed bump: diagonal bumps (tram rails) So, there is nothing to "feel" by driver's hands, steering wheel doesn't turn left or right ))
The wheel doesn't need to turn side to side for you to feel force through it... It's connected to the wheels directly through linkages and rods. So a bump in the wheels is transmitted through the tie rods, steering rack, steering column, all the way to the steering wheel, and certainly bumps are felt through the wheel in addition to through the seat of the pants. They may not make the wheel turn, but they do make it vibrate. And rumble strips DEFINITELY will shake the wheel.

And from experience, some bumps, potholes, etc., indeed do make the wheel turn, as do many crashes. It's simple physics.

I've never managed to get your plugin to work, but I must say that, despite the default FFB leaving much to be desired with steering feel and centering, I'm going to keep using it, because feedback of the road is important, in real life just as in the game.
supric

#1097 Post by supric » 28 Feb 2017 22:04

sketch wrote:They may not make the wheel turn, but they do make it vibrate.
G27 SW controller cannot vibrate. It's only can TURN wheel to the left and to the right. That's all. If it's turn wheel fast left & right you've got something like vibration emulation, but it's not a pure vibration at all.

Resume: G27 cannot emulate vibration right way. But i know, there are some ThM wheels that can do it (they have independent vibro-unit inside the controller's base).
And from experience, some bumps, potholes, etc., indeed do make the wheel turn, as do many crashes. It's simple physics.
You wrong. Wheel turn on speed - it's just a driver's hands reflective movement, a simple driving mistake. If you will drive too fast - not a bumps, not a potholes, nothing can move your steering wheels from a straight way, except your own hands.

THIS is the simple physics )))

So, the same with a tyre blowout on the run. Faster you drive, smoother you'll turn to damaged tyre side. But a lot of drivers will reflectively press brake and turn SW if something go wrong.
natvander
SCS Software

#1098 Post by natvander » 01 Mar 2017 23:37

Hey Supric, just a heads up that there may be an issue with the plugin and 1.6/1.27. When I start a new profile with the plugin installed, the game freezes. Without the plugin it runs fine. Once the profile is created and game has started, I can quit the game, reinstall the plugin and it runs fine.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
sketch

#1099 Post by sketch » 02 Mar 2017 03:57

supric wrote:G27 SW controller cannot vibrate. It's only can TURN wheel to the left and to the right. That's all. If it's turn wheel fast left & right you've got something like vibration emulation, but it's not a pure vibration at all.

Resume: G27 cannot emulate vibration right way. But i know, there are some ThM wheels that can do it (they have independent vibro-unit inside the controller's base).
I understand that, but the normal force feedback does a pretty good imitation of vibration by moving back and forth rapidly and very short distances. But all vibration is, anyway, is rapid small-distance motion. A wheel that is rapidly oscillating back and forth over 1/1000 mm is "vibrating".

I understand if your choice is not to include this type of "vibration" feedback, but it is more important to me than realistic steering feel, so I will keep using the default. No harm, no foul.
You wrong. Wheel turn on speed - it's just a driver's hands reflective movement, a simple driving mistake. If you will drive too fast - not a bumps, not a potholes, nothing can move your steering wheels from a straight way, except your own hands.

THIS is the simple physics )))

So, the same with a tyre blowout on the run. Faster you drive, smoother you'll turn to damaged tyre side. But a lot of drivers will reflectively press brake and turn SW if something go wrong.
I watched about 2 minutes of this and cannot find any point where it shows whether or not a blowout will make the wheel turn if your hands aren't on the wheel.

Well, in your own video in the previous post, the diagonal speed bump does make the steering wheel move back and forth at 0:06... so I'm not sure what you are saying.

But I recorded my own video just to make sure... Yes, the wheel moves "by itself"! Actually, it's the forces being transmitted from the speed bump, to the tire, to the wheel, to the steering mechanicals, and up to the wheel...

Even small bumps and imperfections in the road can be felt through many steering wheels, in real life, through the nature of the vibrations transmitted through the system to the driver's hands. This is called "steering feedback" and it will not take long to find several mentions of this in any car enthusiast magazine.

If you want, I can drive on a rumble strip too, and take a video of the vibrations (moving back and forth) of my steering wheel. The physics is the same.
supric

#1100 Post by supric » 02 Mar 2017 19:42

3 km/h? )))) Are you joke? ))))) I'm telling you about real driving at 30 km/h and higher. So, plugin works completely the same at low speed. Amplitude a little less because of big vehicle wheel size.
A wheel that is rapidly oscillating back and forth over 1/1000 mm is "vibrating".
I think you mess "oscillating" and "white noise", "vibration" and "SW rotation". Completely different force types. You cannot just replace it by each other.
I understand if your choice is not to include this type of "vibration" feedback, but it is more important to me than realistic steering feel, so I will keep using the default. No harm, no foul.
I understand your choice, but i don't understand what are you trying to tell me here ))

Even more, i was thinking the same as you, almost 3 yrs ago. Now i learned a little more about steering, some effects IRL are not like i've think about them before. But you are just in the beginning of this way.

AFAIR, vibrations was there in plugin in early versions. It was not too bad with a early primitive centering force physical model. When centering force physical model becomes more advanced, vibrations begin to break SW feeling and i removed them.

Return to “Steering wheel + pedals”