[Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

Axel Slingerland

Re: [Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

#11 Post by Axel Slingerland » 05 Jun 2015 21:09

I've been writing tutorials for about 20 years now, and there is a problem with them that I have yet to find a way to fix. Tutorials are great for those who can read and understand written instructions. But you can't teach people reading comprehension over the Internet, because all you have to work with is written instructions. Illustrations are a big help, but if people can't understand written instructions, tutorials will be all but useless to them. This may be partially due to the nature of a tutorial, such as information about computers, etc., but whatever the reason is, I have yet been able to find any way to help people who just don't understand what you write. It's a very frustrating situation.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
godzyla

#12 Post by godzyla » 01 Dec 2015 19:12

Just as a simple bump.

Since the last versions, the mechanics have changed.
You can create a simple zip file, with classic compression and it works, you can keep "zip" extension. The aim is to save space on your windows partition (that is very important).
florence3099
Global moderator

#13 Post by florence3099 » 01 Dec 2015 19:29

^^ Always been like that for ETS2
Cadde

#14 Post by Cadde » 01 Dec 2015 19:35

The only file type you can't (or maybe couldn't, things do change sometimes) compress are the .ogg files A.K.A sound files. This because they are being streamed from the ZIP archive straight into the sound engine. (or so i believe)
The reason doesn't really matter though, if you compress (again, if that still applies) sound files you will get a warning in your game logs and the sound might not even play. I don't know what happens exactly but the warning/error is there and that's enough for me not to compress sound files in mods.
On extended hiatus.
florence3099
Global moderator

#15 Post by florence3099 » 01 Dec 2015 19:38

The sound will not play and there will be a ton of errors in the log.
davidzoli

#16 Post by davidzoli » 12 Jan 2016 19:01

So if a mod doesn't contain sound file, I can zip that with "classic" compression.
In Total Commander that means "Normal ratio (6)"?
plykkegaard

#17 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Jan 2016 19:39

Cadde wrote:The only file type you can't (or maybe couldn't, things do change sometimes) compress are the .ogg files A.K.A sound files.
As well as .ogv (video) but it lies implicit in your answer
Game can't stream the data from a compressed file

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
ohaha

#18 Post by ohaha » 12 Jan 2016 20:56

I use maximum compression on all my mods. Of course, they don't contain sound files.
Retired, but still loving it.
EvgenKo423

#19 Post by EvgenKo423 » 26 Feb 2016 11:22

Reef wrote:As for the compression, I assume you understand the concept of keeping things simple and uncomplicated for the novice? So why would I add varying factors into a beginners tutorial?
Because that way people don't know at all that they can compress their mods, it's you who need to teach them. People who don't know much about PCs are following blindly to the guides. There are a lot of mods for ETS2 which are not compressed at all, and it really annoys me when some mod have a size of 100 MB and it turns into just 10 MB when compressed... :?

I think it will be better if you will teach people to compress their mods.
There is no place for noobs in modding. If you want to make mods, you should make them properly. If something is hard for you - don't do this (or don't release at least until it's good enough to be used by other people)! You can't create a good mod if you have problems with simple operations like text file editing or archiving things...
Cadde

#20 Post by Cadde » 26 Feb 2016 13:26

EvgenKo423 wrote:There is no place for noobs in modding. If you want to make mods, you should make them properly.
There are noobs everywhere. With that ideology, nobody would make anything.
A lot of mods have "noob" mistakes in them that could easily have been avoided but in the end, nobody would release mods if they had to be perfect. In fact, there are many "noob" mistakes in the game too. And yet you PAY for the game but expect modders to live up to the same standards while releasing for FREE?

Please, be considerate. There's NOTHING wrong with telling people to NOT compress mods while they are in the process of learning.
If you don't like uncompressed mods you still have a choice. The choice NOT to download.

The choice you shouldn't take is that of complaining about FREE content.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”