[Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

EvgenKo423

Re: [Guide] How to package an .scs file mod

#21 Post by EvgenKo423 » 26 Feb 2016 15:41

Cadde, I know there are a lot of noobs, but there are also a lot of good modders.
The easier is to create a mod, the more noobs start to make them. Why, do you think, there are a humongous amount of almost useless cheat mods? Because there are tools like ETS2 Studio which makes their creation very simple. Yes, maybe it makes life easier for some good modders, but it also makes it easier for noobs. I bet most of noobs would never create a single mod without such tool!

Properly doesn't mean perfect. You should just maintain a good level of quality. Yes, the mods are free, but there are, however, many mods which have the same or even better quality than the game itself (like ohaha's trucks, for example; like grimes's weather mods). Modders owe nothing to the users, but it's not about being owed. It's about enthusiasm/devotion/passion. It's about reputation. It's about respecting yourself and the others. You should make your mods like you want them to be in general. You're making them because it's your hobby and you like it. ;)
Of course you have a finite lifespan and free time, but you should aim for the best you can afford. That's how all in your life should be done!

Cadde wrote:Please, be considerate. There's NOTHING wrong with telling people to NOT compress mods while they are in the process of learning.
But someone have to tell them about compression finally or the learning will stop here. They will not ask themselves about things they already have been told not to do. The amount of uncompressed mods tells people either all using the same tool which doesn't compress mods or they just don't know that compression is allowed.
Cadde

#22 Post by Cadde » 26 Feb 2016 18:44

And again, all that really matters is you have a choice whether you want to use a mod or not.
For example, ohaha's mods are excellent but i don't use them myself as i see no need to. The same goes for "cheat" mods. The only time i use cheat mods (made them myself) is to get a testing profile up to speed since i don't have dev hax (console cheats) because i assume that's something only beta testers have access to.

Sure, i don't mind quality but if the learning curve to even get into modding is too steep then you will have fewer modders who are willing to learn the basics to move on and become better as time passes. I doubt even ohaha would have gotten to where he is (read, no releases because he wouldn't want to learn it all in one go) if he was flooded with information that he couldn't process.

I have suggested a modding wiki with an official stamp (i.e, hosted on scssoft.com or elsewhere with developers stamp of approval) but it was not to be. Interest was too cool for the project.
That being said, nothing is stopping you from writing a better guide than this. I am sure Reef would happily let a better guide take precedence over this one should one be made.
Just remember, a guide that covers EVERYTHING is a guide that nobody want's to read. Just look at my guides, they generally cover TOO much or are TOO in depth / advanced for a newcomer to process.
I try to cover everything just in case but i know some people will just see a wall of information, get lost and not bother. So there's a fine balance.
On extended hiatus.
davidzoli

#23 Post by davidzoli » 26 Feb 2016 18:56

Cadde wrote: I have suggested a modding wiki with an official stamp (i.e, hosted on scssoft.com or elsewhere with developers stamp of approval) but it was not to be. Interest was too cool for the project.
That being said, nothing is stopping you from writing a better guide than this. I am sure Reef would happily let a better guide take precedence over this one should one be made.
Just remember, a guide that covers EVERYTHING is a guide that nobody want's to read. Just look at my guides, they generally cover TOO much or are TOO in depth / advanced for a newcomer to process.
I try to cover everything just in case but i know some people will just see a wall of information, get lost and not bother. So there's a fine balance.
Cadde, my fried.
Have you seen the last blog post? Or the image in that? I think that idea is not cold :)
Cadde

#24 Post by Cadde » 26 Feb 2016 19:44

Ah, that's great! I had no idea...
Thanks David!

EDIT: Also makes me wonder why SCS haven't invited me to their Wiki yet. I could have written a guide or two. :P
On extended hiatus.
davidzoli

#25 Post by davidzoli » 14 Mar 2016 16:11

Cadde wrote:EDIT: Also makes me wonder why SCS haven't invited me to their Wiki yet. I could have written a guide or two. :P
http://modding.scssoft.com/wiki/Contribution :)
kartal2339

#26 Post by kartal2339 » 03 Oct 2018 07:33

is it always necesery to convert .zip mod file to .scs?
and which mod file is works better because of .zip is 33 mb but when i am unpack and pack for scs is about 485mb
George2

#27 Post by George2 » 28 Oct 2018 12:20

No, it's not neccesary to have it as a .scs file. All my mods are now converted from .scs to .zip especially because of the size difference issue.
Thank you, SCS, for adding ROmania to ETS2! :idea:
xXCARL1992Xx

#28 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 28 Oct 2018 12:27

so basically, you reconverted a .zip file to a .zip file again?

.scs files for mods (not the ones from SCS themselfs) are just renamed .zip archives, if the modder does it right and uses the best compression you wont see any difference at all
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
SannNiz

Guide How to package an scs file mod

#29 Post by SannNiz » 11 Jul 2019 20:14

This is great info, however what if you screw up on the import, I do not see an option to delete the created game import. If i import again with the same file name will it over-right or double the stats?
AadK

#30 Post by AadK » 16 Aug 2020 11:50

Well, i use W10 / 2020 , but wen i collect the def and other files and rightclick i don't get the 7zip menu for extracting anymore.
In earlier versions of W10 it was there.
What do i wrong, or is it Windows?

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”