Copy and use alternate save profile

Aardvark892

Copy and use alternate save profile

#1 Post by Aardvark892 » 14 Jan 2017 18:42

Hi all.

I've come here today to ask about my save profile in ETS2. I've been working hard with my un-modded, stock profile, and I've finally managed to upgrade my first garage to full size. Now that I'm here, though, I've discovered and am really interested in the ProMods packages. What I would like to do if possible, is copy my current profile under a different name (so that it's at the same progress level), and enable ProMods with it, while keeping my original profile stock (for hopeful future use in multi-player). Is it possible to save my profile under a different name and use it like this?

Thank you for any help in advance. Hopefully I'll be around here more to meet and greet, and learn more about this oddly addicting game!

Tim Schuster
ohaha

Re: Copy and use alternate save profile

#2 Post by ohaha » 14 Jan 2017 19:05

What you can do is create an alternative home directory for the game (copy of current one), and use -homedir parameter, to use it.
e.g.

create a folder on your hdd, called <something> (let's assume the path to it is D:\<something>)
copy the folder Euro Truck Simulator 2, from current location (most likely in My Documents), to the new folder
make a new shortcut for the game and right click on it, then choose Properties
in the target box, add (after a space) -homedir "D:\<something>

Now, when you start the game from this shortcut, it will use the home directory from there. You can put any mods in there, just like you do in your original home directory.
The old home directory will remain untouched and available to play, just like before.

Of course, the progress in the two profiles will take different paths, so you won't be able to re-merge it, at a later moment.

Another advantage of this method is that you can create the second home directory on a different drive, leaving your system drive with more available space for windows and other programs.
Retired, but still loving it.
Aardvark892

Re: Copy and use alternate save profile

#3 Post by Aardvark892 » 15 Jan 2017 15:29

Thanks for the info, and the quick response. I'm off to try that out now!

Tim

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”