Other users giving hints for useful technical upgrades (FPS)

Paulebaer1979

Re: Other users giving hints for useful technical upgrades (

#11 Post by Paulebaer1979 » 25 Apr 2017 17:15

As Max wrote: go for faster CPU.

I changed from AMD FX 8150 @ 4,5Ghz to an i7 4790K @ 4,4Ghz and got 20% more fps. With AMD my GPU-load was about 60% - now it´s always at 99-100% and CPU-load is about 7-20%.
Playing with 3 displays and superscaling via hardware in 7680 x 1600 px. Ingame all settings on max/ultra and 100% scaling.

When buying a new cpu take a look for singlecore-performance.
Andre Santos

#12 Post by Andre Santos » 25 Apr 2017 18:04

Mirrors are great villains in ATS and ETS. The difference in GPU usage from camera 1 to 2 is absurd. But anyway I don't like to play with the mirror with low settings. But this is necessary.
WoT YOUTUBE FLICKR I5 13600KF - 32gb RAM - RTX3080Ti
Tomsun

#13 Post by Tomsun » 20 Apr 2018 08:13

Max wrote: 15 Apr 2017 07:30 i would go for CPU as it is bottle neck most of the time.
[/quote

I can't confirm this!

GPU is maxed out (overclocked 1290 MHz and undervolted +50% Power draw allowed) running at almost 100% load, The CPU is on stock Values as overclocking was bringing no benefits FPS-wise, Core 1 between 60% and 80%, Rest of the cores/threads (2-8) ridicoulous low overall CPU Load 15-255.

I now found settings where i have 60 FPs overland (fixed limit) and drops in town to aroung 40 fps (to be honest i've not beeing to Barcelona with these settings, perhaps next week).

The Bottleneck is the GPU respective the Not-Use of available CPU. I decided to wait until a new GPU will take place in my board, only if i see the CPU is bottlenecking the new GPU, then i will look for a better CPU.

Perhaps in other games the CPU FX-8320 can Bottleneck the RX470, but in ETS2 or ATS definitely not, i would assume that even a 1080ti would not be bottlenecked by the FX-8320 in ETS2 or ATS (i don't believe that someone would have this combo 1000€ GPU paired with 100€ CPU, but it would be interesting)
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Other users giving hints for useful technical upgrades (FPS)

#14 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Apr 2018 08:45

the game is hugely CPU dependant not GPU, ETS/ATS cant utilise the power of an GPU to 100% and just recently SCS has moved calculating stuff from CPU to GPU so for the games the CPU is mostly the bottleneck

but the games cant handle newer hardware anyway, so upgrading already good hardware just to get a few FPS is, imo, pointless

we have to wait for SCS to optimise the engine further to use newer hardware better
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Tomsun

#15 Post by Tomsun » 21 Apr 2018 08:03

CARL1992 wrote: 20 Apr 2018 08:45 the game is hugely CPU dependant not GPU, ETS/ATS cant utilise the power of an GPU to 100% and just recently SCS has moved calculating stuff from CPU to GPU so for the games the CPU is mostly the bottleneck

but the games cant handle newer hardware anyway, so upgrading already good hardware just to get a few FPS is, imo, pointless

we have to wait for SCS to optimise the engine further to use newer hardware better
But why didn't i see any improvement if i overclock the CPU (even if i reduce graphic settings, so the GPU has more headroom)?

I do not see the CPU utilized to 100 % on one core (that leads to my conclusions), from my understandingif the Game is bound to CPU it should utilize at least one thread/core to the max if it is not multithreaded (as far as i know). If i overclock my CPU from 3.5 GHz to 4 GHz (IMHO + 14,3%) it should lead to a measurable if not noticable improvement (i think noticable perhaps at an improvement of 30% upwards).
I don't understand the strategy to put calculating staff from CPU to GPU if in most cases the CPU is utilized at a level far below 50%, while GPUs are utilized in the high nineties, even if the GPU is better suited for that type of calculations, why don't put the developing power into enhancement of multithreading. The Enhancement of single core performance is at a relatively end, i don't think we will have CPUs calculating at speed in the range of 10-100 GHz in the near future (at the moment i think the actual end is at 5.1 Ghz let it raise to app. 5.5 GHz in the near future) the number of cores/threads is constantly raising.

If the engine is not able to be heavily modified towards multithreading, than it is a fact to be accepted, but that would lead the discussion towards ETS3.
My wish is that they are able to go on the way for heavily multithreading so the users having 2 cores can utilize there cores to the max in the same way the users having 32 threads utilizing their 32 threads.
Reinhard

#16 Post by Reinhard » 21 Apr 2018 09:22

Well, my wild guess is that many performance problems are about distribution of workload between CPU and GPU. If the CPU is waiting for something the GPU is doing, waiting "faster" will not help you much. And vice versa.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”