Logitech Driving force GT rattling

Leen

Re: Logitech Driving force GT rattling

#11 Post by Leen » 11 Apr 2014 11:02

I know now were it comes from, it's the white gear who is driven by the gear of the FF engine, I have place some pics from the gear and gear bar.
After I was done with the crease thing the gears are almost silent, just a little tiny rattling you can hear but it's almost nothing, so now you know how you can solved this point.

The white gear
[ external image ]

The gear bar
[ external image ]

The teflon crease
[ external image ]
Turt213

#12 Post by Turt213 » 11 Apr 2014 13:22

Thanks Leen, to easy :)
Leen

#13 Post by Leen » 11 Apr 2014 13:30

The rattling went back, this evening I gonna do a new research to it, I'll come back to it later ;)
Leen

#14 Post by Leen » 12 Apr 2014 09:04

After a lot of research if found a ball-bearing with a tiny clearance, this taps of the ball-bearing will be enchanted true the case of the steering wheel.
The only thing you can do about it is isolate the case around the ball-bearing with bitumen which you can buy by the local car-parts store.
Bitumen they use to isolate doors and compartment of your car especially when they install a sound system, bitumen are thin and black and stick ferry tight.

I have done it and the rattling is there but acceptable, the sound of the engine overrule the rattling so it's fine by me and it does not irritate me anymore.
Turt213

#15 Post by Turt213 » 12 Apr 2014 09:26

Is it the big ball bearing in your picture Leen? And did you pack the ball bearing in grease? Also do you have a picture?
Leen

#16 Post by Leen » 12 Apr 2014 09:41

It isn't the ball bearing on the picture but the one closest by the steering wheel, it's the same model ball bearing who not can creased because they are closed ball bearings unfortunately.
So that's why I isolate the case of the steering wheel around this ball-bearing, I don't have another solution for it,
the ball bearings are not wearing out because of the tiny clearance but it's a normal clearance like a new one.
Turt213

#17 Post by Turt213 » 12 Apr 2014 12:53

Oh sealed ball bearing :(

Can you post/PM me a picture of your bitumen fix?
Leen

#18 Post by Leen » 12 Apr 2014 14:32

That could be difficult becourse I have to reopen the steering wheel, but I will try to describe how I did it but it is on your own risk.

1 loosen the cover, screws are underneath
2 loosen the metal plate in the centre
3 with a little screwdriver you can loosen 3 connectors, see the picture
4 loosen screws between the steering box and clamps
5 you can lift of the steering box
6 loosen the screws on the metal plate on the steering box
7 this will be the hardest part, with a little screwdriver you can loosen the metal plate above the gears, but beware of the little gear which you can pull out the steering box. If it happens don't panic course the black cover on the other side you can loosen with a little screw driver.
8 Pull the big white gear out of the steering box
9 loosen the screws from the back of the steering wheel, you can easily remove the unit with buttons and after that you have to loosen the connector of the cable inside.
10 Now you can pull the plastic cover of the steering shaft
11 place little pieces of bitumen on the plastic cover around the side and inside
12 you can place al the parts back, before you place the steering house back on his place, stick bitumen on the bottom around the gear bar and the gap of the steering shaft. (don't forget connect the connectors)
13 Now you can place the steering box back but beware of the white gear bar, the little gear on the end of the steering shaft have to be exactly on the middle of the gear bar, from the left you count 13 tooth.
14 after you screw on the screws of the steering box you connect all connector but beware of the cable from the steering shaft, after you connect this cable turn the steering wheel left and right, the cable may not touch the white gear bar otherwise the cable will be worn out in a matter of time.
15 stick pieces bitumen on the inside of the cover and place the cover back.
16 If after calibration the steering wheel will not comes back in the middle, reopen the cover and loosen the screws of the steering box a little and try to place the gear bar to the middle by pushing on the gear bar.

I have drive a while now and in game I do not hear any annoying rattling, sometimes when the steering wheel is on the dead spot but it is not that loud anymore, let's say more than acceptable.

[ external image ]
Leen

#19 Post by Leen » 12 Apr 2014 17:56

Now the rattling is gone at last, they can hear the rumbling downstars :o :D

When I drive away the I feel a vibration in the steering wheel, the pedals and especially in my chair, so I drive with a big smile on my face :)
Turt213

#20 Post by Turt213 » 13 Apr 2014 03:46

Huge thanks Leen for the step-by-step. That's one great tutorial/how-to-do. No way did I expect that ;)

I'm glad it has worked for you. I just need to get the stuff from the shop & I'll be all set, to rip my wheel apart...with care & gentleness :lol:

Return to “Help center - player to player”