Switching versions in steam

Highflyernl

Switching versions in steam

#1 Post by Highflyernl » 30 Mar 2017 10:21

I'm using different profiles for different map mods and for testing. Some mods already updated to 1.27 while other (map)mods will stay on 1.26 for the foreseeable future. When I switch from 1.27 to 1.26 or visa versa in steam it will download the complete game again, not ideally when switching profile all the time. Is there a option in Steam for fast switching or does that require 2 licences on 2 different steam accounts?
Reinhard

Re: Switching versions in steam

#2 Post by Reinhard » 30 Mar 2017 14:37

The only real option I know of, to have two different versions of the game at hand simultaneously, without using different Steam accounts, is to use a non-Steam version plus a Steam-version.

Combined with the "-homedir" plus "-nosingle" parameter, I have two completely independent ETS 2 installations. The Steam-installation I usually let update itself, when a new patch arrives. The non-Steam version I often left untouched until everything is converted. This approach is also very nice if the map is extended, I can see all the differences side-by-side, on a second monitor.

Of course this is only possible because I bought the original, non-Steam game versions, plus DLC. The fact that some smaller DLC will not work without Steam doesn't bother me, this is for modding only. Oh, I had to buy the France-DLC twice, because Steam doesn't allow the old key-registering scheme anymore, for new content. But I'm fine with that. Hope that SCS will keep this policy for future map-DLCs.

If there is any trick to have two independent, concurrent versions of the same game using the same Steam account, I'd really like to know it.
Tarso
Beta tester

Re: Switching versions in steam

#3 Post by Tarso » 04 Apr 2017 14:36

In fact there is a tweak you can make to use 2 Steam versions of ETS2 on same PC with only 1 license.

It's nothing too TECH savy but will require the knowledge and patience to don't get lost in the middle of the process.

In a short version:

1) Double your STEAM folder under (Programs and Files) and make a shortcut for the "new install folder"

2) make other folder for profiles under Documents folder.

3) points the second STEAM installer to the new folder using "-homedir" startup parameter (keep in mind if you want play MP with one of those, the MP one need to be the one that makes use of default profile folders only)

This is mine startup parameter for reference: -homedir "C:\Users\Tarso\Documents\SCS beta profiles"

Return to “Help center - player to player”