ETS2 or ATS with earplugs

Jaikstheuggle

ETS2 or ATS with earplugs

#1 Post by Jaikstheuggle » 27 May 2017 21:42

ETS2 or ATS with earplugs...anyone have experience with this? and is this doable at all?
Its not like putting volume down is a solution, because things like keyboardclicking, mouseclicking or gamepad etc can really amp up anxieties....
(long story i shouldnt get into but it has a name)

I tried silent keyboards or mouses , but they simply fail at doing so.
Still, i am a gamer , and ANY solution that helps me could keep my hobby alive while enjoying both trucksimulators.
Axel Slingerland

Re: ETS2 or ATS with earplugs

#2 Post by Axel Slingerland » 27 May 2017 22:02

I know what you're talking about, and I can't think of the name of it either. My solution is to play my favorite tunes on my stereo and turn the computer speakers off. I miss the sound of the truck engine, but all that misc. noise the game makes drives me batty, so I just turn it all off. I've tried ear plugs but then I can't hear things I need to hear, like the boss hollerin' at me.

Perhaps you could read the Feature Wishlists and Suggestions Guidelines for ETS2, which the only difference for ATS is the name of the game, and write up a post suggesting a change in the sound options to make the truck sounds (engine, trailer coupling, etc.) separate from all other game sounds. And don't forget the Poll... I know I would vote yes for that! [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Elmer BeFuddled

#3 Post by Elmer BeFuddled » 28 May 2017 02:37

I'd like to know if or how I can disable the mouse "click" sounds. I mean, my mouse clicks, I can hear it, I don't need a sound to tell me what I can already hear :evil:
I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.
Nothing is foolproof to the talented fool.

EBF ETS2 Satellite Map For ProMods, RusMap etc..
ETS2 v1.18.x Satellite Map Background
Road Atlas Map Backgrounds
Drive Safely

#4 Post by Drive Safely » 28 May 2017 02:55

@Elmer BeFuddled - To mute them you have to modify the sound files to be muted in sound/ui/click.ogg and sound/ui/click_soft.ogg
Jaikstheuggle

#5 Post by Jaikstheuggle » 28 May 2017 03:16

Apparently neither of you really realise what i am talking about and my question is sincere.
I am talking about central auditory processing disorder which ends in anxieties. To get back at the question , does anyone have experience with earplugs? The mechanical soundclicks of the mouse and keyboard can not be undone.
Last edited by Jaikstheuggle on 28 May 2017 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
marcel-dutch

#6 Post by marcel-dutch » 28 May 2017 05:09

Most of the time I drive with headphones. So I set the volume at a level it conforts me. And the neighbours can't enjoy my driving. ;)
Jaikstheuggle

#7 Post by Jaikstheuggle » 28 May 2017 05:53

I`ve tested earplugs and they are pointless, they still let in sounds, they are not soundproof at all. They Dim sounds yes, but they still let through...OR i just happened to have crap earplugs....

Marcel-dutch : ive tried headphones , i just so happen to fear hearingdamage with too loud sounds. thats why i tried to ask about earplugs... and i need total soundproof areas. And too much sounds really makes me hypersensitive.

I guess there is no solution, ive thought about it for a long time now.
Even though my gametime is 740ish hours and ive been gaming since childhood (i am 44 now) i fell into this trap over and over...
I am stubborn and persistent, i can achieve anything in my life besides this.
I won 3 prizes in 1 chesstournament, i won a cup in my chessclub. Ive survived a lifetime of climbing out of nothing to the life i have now , ive grown in so many things. but i cant overcome this handicap.
:x

Edit : I am getting whiney and i shouldnt ,apologies.
marcel-dutch

#8 Post by marcel-dutch » 28 May 2017 07:21

Jaikstheuggle wrote:
Edit : I am getting whiney and i shouldnt ,apologies.
I accept no apologies! ;)
Because you have a problem. And it IS a problem.
I understand youre problem.
But do not blaim yourself. It is not youre fault.

For the headphones: there are to kind of phones: open and closed.
You need the closed one.
Therefore: go to the headphoneshop and ask for advice. ;)
Wolfi
Beta tester

#9 Post by Wolfi » 28 May 2017 07:38

I can kinda understand what you're going through mate. I personally don't have any serious issues with sounds, noises, still I like to hear only the things that I have to hear and as such I have some experience in silencing PC and it's components. From my experience I can tell you that earplugs won't do. They are designed to reduce noise, not eliminate it and they mostly affect distant/ blunt sounds and don't really work for close/sharp (clicking) sound sources. (not to mention, they are quite unhealthy, you would be better using a full-sized earmuffs, but they aren't very effective either and quite uncomfy in the long run)
Reading your post I assume you're playing with keybaord+mouse combo, (which is kinda reasonable since steering wheels can be really loud) you do have a few options to reduce their noise.

First I would highly suggest "gaming", or even better "audiophile" headphones, they may get preety expensive, but good headphones can really reduce (or kill entirely) external sounds even if you don't set the volume too high. You may even get headphones which create their own soundwaves to dampen external sounds, but those can get seriously overpriced and not as efficient as their manufacturers claim.

On the other hand you can always try and change the controlers themselves. You mentioned you have tried and I assume you went for more traditional solutions.

Biggest problem with keyboards is: even if they are membrane ones (I assume you eliminated mechanical "clikies" right away since they are loud as quack), but they still have other mechanical parts that interact with eachother and produce noise. Here I can only suggest you a silicone keyboard. They are fairly cheap and they don't contain mechanical parts at all. It's generally a rubber mat with rubber buttons. They aren't very comfortable (unless you build or get a special stand for them) and require some time to get used to unusual button behavior, but they don't make any sound. You may also get a touch keyboard, or emulate it via a tablet or spartphone with a propper app. Those produce no noise at all, since they have no physical buttons, but they require alot of getting used to.

Mouse is slightly more problematic. Most models offerred are purely mechanical, thus they click loudly. You can get a membrane-only mouse, but they are very hard to find and overly expensive. (not to mention the lack of button precission). However, you may always try a touchpad (presumably graphical touchpad, or just a basic usb mini-touchpad with touch "buttons"), or you may try and get a "mouse-emulating" app for a tablet (or smartphone). Now this is very hard to get used to, but in the end it offers quite a good precission, with no sound whatsoever.

You may also replace the above with a gamepad controller. The most silent one currently available on the market is probably "Steam Controller" (thanks to touchpads), still it does have some mechanical buttons, triggers, etc, but at least on the one I have they are silent enough to be killed entirely by budget gaming headphones. Xone controller is reasonable aswell, but from my experience I can tell it may get abit squeeky with time. (You also need to keep in mind, that due to lack of buttons, gamepad limits you to only the basic game functionality, unles you use a keyboard with it)

And as marcel said, don't appologise, you do have a legit problem and as such I do hope you will find at least some of the above suggestions usefull. Also I highly suggest trying any of the above suggestions in a shop before you buy anything, because everyone is differrent and the things that work for me, may not work for you.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Jaikstheuggle

#10 Post by Jaikstheuggle » 28 May 2017 10:18

Thank you both, so many options to consider apparently. Its worth checking out even though the actual `steering` may actually get clumsy at start.
I will bring your list of options to the places that actually sell therm and pre-test (if possible there)

Return to “Help center - player to player”