How to Create a Map?

0Artur0

Re: How to Create a Map?

#11 Post by 0Artur0 » 14 Mar 2013 08:33

Reinhard wrote:The map editor doesn't mind if objects are "new" or "old. Nor does it support the construction of such.
If you want new 3D-models, you have to create them with a 3D-Editor. Or convert them from other games. Zmodeler is the buzzword.
I know that. I know how to do that.
Reinhard wrote:Then, these objects have to be integrated in the various lists of /def/world, by a dedicated mod.
That's what I don't know how to do and can't find any good information about it.
Reinhard

#12 Post by Reinhard » 14 Mar 2013 09:05

0Artur0 wrote:
Reinhard wrote:Then, these objects have to be integrated in the various lists of /def/world, by a dedicated mod.
That's what I don't know how to do and can't find any good information about it.
I doubt you will find any explanations of it.

But theses lists are very simple. Just study the old entries of a category, copy it, create a new number (better with a huge offset, don't use 367 if the last old was 366, because a future patch may go up to, say, 398) *, insert the name of your files, overwriting the old. If your entry is applied properly, object name appears in the according list entry of the editor, when placing new items. If not, check he log, it should tell something about it.

(* EDIT: Text in color above is out of date, with the latest patches the use of a new alphanumerical, independent per-user numbering scheme is is introduced. And strongly recommended)

Most file names in /def/world are self-explanatory. And you won't touch the most of it anyway.

"model.sii" is the most common to use. This is for all plain, dumb models without any function or trigger. Mostly houses or assemblies of that. But could also be a map model for a car, or anything like that. Chances are high you want to use this.

"building*.sii" is not what you may think. These is not really for "houses". It is for any kind of object that can be laid out in a consecutive manner, and stretched. Walls, fences, some types of buildings. Just to have it explained, I doubt you will create own or convert anything of this type soon.

Hint: the names of these files reflect the object item type you are able to insert with the map-editor: road, prefab, model, building...

For any other, I guess, your question would be way more specific if the category is really in charge. And it would make no sense to fumble with it if you aren't familiar with its kind of entries, anyway.
Last edited by Reinhard on 29 Oct 2013 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
0Artur0

#13 Post by 0Artur0 » 14 Mar 2013 12:44

Thank you, this info is very helpful! I'll start with model.sii and go from there (if needed at all - all I want is to add bunch of custom buildings and static landmarks for new cities).
It surprised me that there are a lot of Youtube videos explaining how to extract files and how to use Editor but not a single one about adding custom objects and stuff like that.
europecargo001

#14 Post by europecargo001 » 29 Oct 2013 19:35

What program do you use to make maps?
InterTIR32

#15 Post by InterTIR32 » 29 Oct 2013 19:59

Map editor is integrated in ETS2; you can access it by modify file name config.cfg in ETS2 Documents folder. You need to adjust "uset g_console 0" to "uset g_console 1". Then launch ETS2 and press "~" (next to 1/! key) and type edit europe.

Now you are in editor ;)
Join EMT (EuroMapTeam)!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=185112
glenn52

#16 Post by glenn52 » 28 Nov 2013 22:21

Reinhard wrote:an old, partly outdated, but nevertheless very good tutorial for HAULIN. Made by Glenn on http://www.glenn52.com.. (Site currently defunct, but guide is still to be found here)
:D The site is alive & well - has been for years! :D

My SCS Truck Series Game Map Editor is available there, now in PDF download. The guide was originally made for 18WoS Haulin', and has had some updates for other games since. Anyone map modding in any of the SCS truck games should find it a useful, if not the most up-to-date, reference. The editor does not change all that much ;)

The guide is a WIP and now a big document, and I struggle to find time to bring it up to the latest game versions. I did call for volunteers some time ago on my forum to keep the guide up to date, but that call received NIL response. So be it...

Check with me in the forum on my site if you need map help.
:D
Unco

#17 Post by Unco » 28 Nov 2013 23:23

Welcome to the forums, glenn52. Hopefully your presence here will generate more interest in the development of your document.
a03345678

#18 Post by a03345678 » 24 Jan 2014 17:08

Hi, what happened to you now, did build your own map.

Me too, I started to build my own map.

did you finished your map if yeah, plz help how you did it.

I want to create UAE.
see my topic and you will understand what I need.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=127225.

PLZ help me. Ok, plz
My first and best map; that I am going on, is to build UAE, as it is with the same names with same cities.
Visit and give ideas or help:- viewtopic.php?f=32&t=127225
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ets2uaemap
M95

#19 Post by M95 » 28 Jul 2015 13:05

InterTIR32 wrote:Map editor is integrated in ETS2; you can access it by modify file name config.cfg in ETS2 Documents folder. You need to adjust "uset g_console 0" to "uset g_console 1". Then launch ETS2 and press "~" (next to 1/! key) and type edit europe.

Now you are in editor ;)
There's an easier way to open the map editor. Just make a shotcut of ETS 2 and add the following tags in the goal (for me called "doel") section right after your path:
-unlimitedlog -nointro -homedir -force_mods -edit europe
[ external image ]

Benefits:
- You don't have to type edit europe every time
- You don't need to enter a profile since the mod files are forcen anyway
- Your log will be complete which is convenient when tracing bugs
- The intro will be skipped

Return to “Help center - player to player”