ATS 32 bit or not

thebigbadonion

Re: ATS 32 bit or not

#81 Post by thebigbadonion » 18 Jan 2016 08:47

I keep out of the whole windows 10 privacy arguments, its futile, and those who have made their minds up aren't going to be swayed. If your really that worried about your privacy and people monitoring you, you might want to disconnect your internet, and throw your cellphone away,Your isp already knows everything your doing online, and as for cellphones..... I can assure you, if you attract enough attention that the "government" take an interest in you, Windows 10 or not they're going to know every move you make, regardless of what VPN your using, even your using TOR or any other such things. As they've proven time and time again.
Solo_Kamen

#82 Post by Solo_Kamen » 18 Jan 2016 09:46

Axel Slingerland wrote:
Dude, If you cant afford PC upgrade, gaming should not be your priority. Trust me, I was there, I was using half-broken 9 year-old machine and worked my [bad word] to get out of it.... computer was only a little part of the problem. My knee still hurts and makes funny sounds even 3 years after the craziness ended but im on the way to make things only better.

P.S. Sorry for the pyramid quote.
Last edited by Solo_Kamen on 18 Jan 2016 09:53, edited 3 times in total.
plykkegaard

#83 Post by plykkegaard » 18 Jan 2016 09:46

Axel Slingerland wrote:(..) a lot of people can't upgrade their computers (..)
I really don't see what is so hard to understand
No arguments as it's quite obvious, I have some older games I can't play as they won't run on XP

What should SCS do? Abandon ATS as it won't run on 32-bit systems?
Sorry for your loss but really there is nothing we or SCS can do to help in this case
Pavel have stated it quite clear

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Zakxaev68

#84 Post by Zakxaev68 » 18 Jan 2016 23:04

"Dude, If you cant afford PC upgrade, gaming should not be your priority."

...erm? Hilarious, haterish reasoning, Solo_Kamen brother. An upgrade in some occasions turns out assembling a brand-new PC, components in some markets, like the eastern markets, are intolerably overpriced, and second hand isn't righteous decision - parts used years on years under heavy-load, traded as "fairly new". It may sound cliched, but realize, isn't.

Apropos, claiming gaming a priority for some you met online is mildly haterish.

For the most part of what people charge at each other - the upgrading for little cost - indeeeed, you can get on seducing deals by searching lil' continuously. For several euros, you can update your PC for 3-4-5-6-x years ahead at no headaches.
Hard truckin' on the virtual roads since 2002...

The Big Rig Rock is under indefinite hiatus!
Axel Slingerland

#85 Post by Axel Slingerland » 19 Jan 2016 02:26

Not to mention, if Micro$oft took that "64bit CPU's have been available since 2003, so everybody should be using them" stuff seriously, why are they still making 32bit versions of Windows? Every version of Windows that you can buy today, including Windows 10, has a 32bit version. Why would a company as big as Micro$oft make "obsolete" operating systems? Also, why was SCS still making a 32bit version of ETS2 as of 1.22?

The answer to both questions are the same. They both want to make software products that will sell the most copies. That is the whole point of being in business, to make and sell products. And whether anyone likes it or not, there are still a lot of 32bit systems in use.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
thebigbadonion

#86 Post by thebigbadonion » 19 Jan 2016 03:47

Just about everybody is using a 64bit CPU. Even some of the pentium 4s were 64bit Amd processors have been 64 bit even longer. Part of the reason why its not caught on that rapidly is because up until the last few years 32bit was never that much of a bottleneck. Plus you do lose functionality with some programs when using a 64bit OS, which was obviously a much bigger problem in the earlier days than now. So quite often companies. Would still ship computers with a 32bit operating system if the machine only had 4gb or less RAM.

As for the whole argument about upgrading, I personally think its run its course now. SCS have announced the system requirements, many would deem them reasonable, and even quite low, 90% of those playing ETS 2 probably have nothing to worry about, those of you who's main barrier is the 64 bit OS, have already been told what you need to do. If your PC doesn't meet the other requirements you have 2 choices, upgrade and play or don't upgrade and don't play. Its up to you to make sure your computer is compatible with the game, not up to the developer to make sure the game is compatible with your computer. PC gaming as always been the same, its not like this is suddenly a massive shock. When new games and software come out they're designed to take advantage of the computers at that time. If they didn't design games to take advantage of newer hardware, we'd all still be playing games designed for the original IBM PC. Considering you could buy pretty much any new off the shelf computer these days, and throw in a video card like a GTx 750ti and it would run ATS fine, this isn't a huge barrier to entry, unlike a lot of other games. If you don't have the money to do that, then your going to have to wait until you do. Thats it, surely?
Axel Slingerland

#87 Post by Axel Slingerland » 19 Jan 2016 05:34

thebigbadonion wrote:So quite often companies. Would still ship computers with a 32bit operating system if the machine only had 4gb or less RAM.
Exactly... They do still ship them, because a lot of them are still being sold. They do that because it costs them less, and there is still a market for lower end systems. And where there is a market, there has to be products to sell or you'll have no customers from that market. They also believe that if you want a better system, such as one with a 64bit OS or higher quality video, they can sell you one of those too. For a much higher price, of course.

A few months ago I asked one of the guys at my local shop how much a good gaming system would cost me. He said it all depends on what I want to play. If all I wanted to play was Solitaire (a computer tech joke since I can remember) I could buy a run of the mill, low end, bare bones system for about $400.00. But I could also spend as much as $10,000.00 or more and I still might not have the perfect gaming system. So I laughed and asked him how many of those they have sold, and he said not very many. Their average sale is about $1,000.00 for a slightly better than run of the mill, low end, bare bones system. [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
thebigbadonion

#88 Post by thebigbadonion » 19 Jan 2016 06:13

Thats very true, which is why netbooks did so well for a while. Although more and more PC's are coming with more than 4gb RAM now, so they have to have 64bit operating systems, 8gb seems to be the norm now, only the very cheapest machines have 4gb.. Take this basic bottom of the range Lenovo from a large retail store here in the UK http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 909925.htm The thing about that though, is for most users who just want to browse the net, write documents, listen tom music, watch movies and other things people often use their computers it would do the job just fine. Computers are so much more powerful now even the lowest end machines are perfectly acceptable, if it wasn't for playing games, I'd likely have something along those lines.

As for gaming PC's it depends how crazy you get, but a lot of people get carried away! A decent mid range cpu like an i5 (you can actually get away just fine with an i3, or a similar priced AMD chip for most games) a decent mid level video card such as a GTX 960, and 16gb RAM would be more than enough, especially if your only going to be playing in 1920 X 1080. if you put that together your self (which I know is something that bothers a lot of people) it wouldn't cost that much. But then again some people do get carried away, and spend.. well 10k like you said to play the same disappointing AAA games you can get on a PS4.
plykkegaard

#89 Post by plykkegaard » 19 Jan 2016 06:38

XP 64-bit didn't sell well in the business due to issues mainly with elder 16-bit software
Check the historical facts allthough very expensive 64-bit processing have been around for more than 2 decades
Last edited by Cadde on 20 Jan 2016 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for cleanup purposes.

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Cadde

#90 Post by Cadde » 19 Jan 2016 10:28

If i added up everything (including peripherals) that i have for my current PC in dollars it would bust $4,000 easily. And that's how some people would assume i have a lot of money to throw around, which i don't. Quite the contrary, i have almost no money to spend on anything.
I just value my home entertainment more than wasting my money on other overpriced stuff.

With that said, if there's something i really hate. It's certain decisions to NOT implement something because it might not work well for users who wouldn't (or even couldn't) spend that little extra on staying up to date with technology. This is the sole reason i hate consoles and their users. The machines aren't that bad when they are first released and their cost is unbeatable but a year later they are holding back further improvements because they don't allow upgrades where it matters.

Now, imagine if the tables were turned Axel. What if i was still playing on Windows 98 and i complained about not being able to run ETS 2. Telling everyone else to bite the bullet and use DirectX 6 because i am still using a graphics card that won't support DirectX 9.
How would you respond to such a request Axel? Would you fancy the game looking like Half-Life 1 so i could play on a system that could easily be upgraded for free.

And that's my final point in this post. There's no money involved in upgrading to a 64 bit CPU today. I have several motherboards and CPU's lying around that's 64 bit capable. It's just a matter of finding out which of them still runs and i would give that hardware to anyone in need for free. I hoard stuff "just in case" and even the most random person who asked would get the stuff if they said they needed it. I am sure there are people around where you live Axel with a similar outset to hardware that's clearly served it's purpose.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”