ATS 32 bit or not

xr6fa

ATS 32 bit or not

#1 Post by xr6fa » 02 Jan 2016 14:20

Hi guys

Will ATS work on a 32 bit computer :?:
Last edited by Deemer on 02 Jan 2016 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to ATS forum.
plykkegaard

Re: ATS 32 bit or not

#2 Post by plykkegaard » 02 Jan 2016 14:23

Nope. not if it's 64 bit only as said

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Cadde

#3 Post by Cadde » 02 Jan 2016 15:03

In case anyone wonders (assuming it's even true) why a game is released in 64 bit only.
It's because making the game compatible for 32 bit is extra work and maintaining TWO separate code paths for 32 vs 64 bit is a pain.

Those people who hasn't upgraded their PC's since 2005 (eleven years!) really need to get going by now.
On extended hiatus.
Centrino2

#4 Post by Centrino2 » 02 Jan 2016 22:00

There is also one more thing,

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880
Additional Notes: System requirements aren't final
thebigbadonion

#5 Post by thebigbadonion » 02 Jan 2016 22:38

It amazes me that 32 bit is even a thing on anything but legacy software any more. The PC I bought in 2008 was 64bit, same with an old PC i have lying around, which is actually even older.

Most games now require 64bit, so it wouldn't be much of a surprise if ATS was one of them. I agree with Cadde. It might be time to upgrade, its not like 64 bit is some cutting edge technology. Besides if the game REQUIRES 4gb, its going to need to be 64bit.
xr6fa

#6 Post by xr6fa » 03 Jan 2016 01:14

My computer was only built in 2011,i'm 60 years old unemployed can't afford another computer
is a way of upgrading my existing computer :?:
Axel Slingerland

#7 Post by Axel Slingerland » 03 Jan 2016 04:29

Cadde wrote:It's because making the game compatible for 32 bit is extra work and maintaining TWO separate code paths for 32 vs 64 bit is a pain.
But if it causes you to lose customers, specially a lot of customers... Is it worth it? I would have to give that some serious thought if I were them, specially if I was planning to go Steam only and would possibly lose a lot of customers from that too. However, all that said, they have also said more than once that ATS and ETS2 will be essentially the same in the game engine department, and ETS2 runs on 32bit. So if that is actually the case, ATS would have to be 32bit too. Not to mention, they're telling people to watch the ATS Steam page, which says that "System requirements aren't final", and the current ETS2 system requirements don't mention XP anymore, yet it still works. So I say the same thing I have all along. I'll wait until they release it and see what it's really going to be like.

Cadde wrote:Those people who hasn't upgraded their PC's since 2005 (eleven years!) really need to get going by now.
You buyin'? PM me and I'll send you my address. We'll take three, please. [ external image ]

It isn't necessarily 2005. I've bought seven computers since then and all of them came with XP. Three for me, and two each for Missus and #2 son. (#1 son prefers cellphones and buys his own.) And until a newer version of Windows comes out that works as well as XP, or XP simply stops working, I'm not upgrading. Period. It costs too much to replace three computers at a time. Not to mention, I didn't stop using the computer that I put together in 2002 that had Windows 2000 Professional on it until 2012. I wish I had put XP on that when it was released, as Win2K was lame in comparison. But in contrast to popular belief, computers actually last a lot longer than the average user owns them for.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Cadde

#8 Post by Cadde » 03 Jan 2016 07:07

Of course they are going to lose customers. But like i said, maintaining two separate builds is a pain if they are using 64 bit specific features.
Sure, they can probably just compile it and the compiler does the "right" thing for them but then they can't debug it properly. At least that's my assumptions.
All i know is, if you have to consider both situations when coding then it's a PITA.

As you say, requirements aren't final and the only place i have heard about it only being 64 bit is here on the forums. A rumor in other words.
Hence why i say "If true".

I can however give you another example. EvE Online used to release a Linux build and they had quite a few customers (don't know exact figures) subscribed using Linux.
Then one day, CCP decided to drop Linux support because it was a PITA to maintain it alongside their regular Windows client.
In case you weren't aware, EvE Online is a monthly subscription of 15€ a month (rebates for 3, 6 and 12 month subs) which is $16.29 according to google. So every EvE account that was on Linux was a potential loss of that amount per month... Per ACCOUNT. Many Linux users ran several accounts.
This is unlike ETS / ATS where customers buy the game once and very few buy twice for whatever reason.

Compare that to the current Steam sale on ETS 2 at 4€... Or 20€ normally... EvE Online is 15€ a month!
Why did CCP drop a not so insignificant number of players? Because it's actually a PITA to maintain! And ETS 2 runs on Linux still!

EDIT: Oh and EvE still works on Linux through Wine and users say it runs better in Wine on Linux than the Windows client.
On extended hiatus.
plykkegaard

#9 Post by plykkegaard » 03 Jan 2016 08:35

XP best OS ever? The same was said about 3.11, 95 etc
Can't afford an OS upgrade? Wel no offence but you shouldn't be buying games

The transition from 16-bit to 32-bit caused the same problems
I have games in my savings which I can't play anymore

Moving towards 64-bit is a natural step and quite a few games does not have support for XP because of DX requirement
I've been using Window 7 64-bit at work for a couple of years it's nice and stable

Stepping up to 64-bit is a natural step due to lack of memory on the old platform as one of many reasons
Lots of people complains about an outdated engine ...

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Unco

#10 Post by Unco » 03 Jan 2016 09:13

xr6fa wrote:is a way of upgrading my existing computer :?:
Post your game.log.txt. This will tell us what OS/CPU/RAM/GPU you have and we should be able to tell you what you need to upgrade. It may be as simple as just installing a new OS.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”