ats a little small?

angrybirdseller

Re: ats a little small?

#61 Post by angrybirdseller » 22 Jan 2016 13:10

The scale is sufficient for American Truck it's smaller, but the is fact far more detail in ATS than ETS2 had. The size of the map is far larger than the old 18 wheels of steel map. With 18 wos you had 48 cities across North America. Arizona provides additional 10 to 12 cities at least and Nevada and California already have 30 total 42 cities.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#62 Post by Mohegan13 » 22 Jan 2016 13:55

Magnus is correct.

I compared Flemming's 185 mile journey (9mins20s real time) against a 184 mile ETS2 journey (Euro not UK) and it took me eight minutes longer and I was travelling faster than he did in ATS for the most part. So the map is certainly smaller. I took the liberty of not counting the time spent on Company grounds, essentially gate to gate, no loading manoeuvring on site or parking times included.

Maybe they chose to go with a smaller map size due to the fact a lot of it is boring desert between cities in some states.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
MagnusOpium

#63 Post by MagnusOpium » 22 Jan 2016 14:14

Moh1336 wrote:Maybe they chose to go with a smaller map size due to the fact a lot of it is boring desert between cities in some states.

That is a valid point, and I guess I could understand the design choice from that perspective, but for me personally, I think including more of that boring desert would really have helped capture the sense of scale, thus adding to the overall experience.

At any rate, what was going to be a day 1 purchase for me will now instead be a "wait for youtube vids and see if I think it's bearable" potential purchase, which is a shame because I was getting pretty hyped.
plykkegaard

#64 Post by plykkegaard » 22 Jan 2016 16:46

Scale is 1:32 IIRC

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
SiSL
SCS Software

#65 Post by SiSL » 22 Jan 2016 16:49

Moh1336 wrote:due to the fact a lot of it is boring desert between cities in some states.
Thank you! Someone has to say it :D
mcpish

#66 Post by mcpish » 23 Jan 2016 12:10

I'm looking forward to ATS but just like ETS, I'm going to wait, as I do for almost all video/computer games these days.

The thing is, unlike 10-20 years ago, game companies can't seem to help themselves in not rapidly de-valuing their products after release. You know how much I paid for ETS2 including the Going East expansion pack? $5.80 Total! It was during December of 2014 on Steam.

Back when I was a kid a copy of a game say like, Super Mario Bros would retail for $50 in 1986. Guess what the price was if you waited 2 years? No difference, $50. So there was no incentive to wait. It seems with digital, these companies can't help themselves and need to "show growth" so they can point to steady sales increases on a line graph to fool their investors. They accomplish this by rapidly devaluing their games/software as soon as the early adopters buy-in. In this day and age, the nice thing is if you're at least even a little bit of a patient person, you can amass huge quantities of games (legally) for almost no cost. I have a PS4 with PS+ and they practically give away any game that's more than 4 months old on that service.

So my advice to my friends is to really take advantage of the impatience of most gamers and the silly need companies have to show "growth" (however artificial it is). You can really benefit greatly from it. I have no doubt that by Dec 2016, you'll probably see a steam bundle for only a few dollars with ATS along with whatever DLC is out by then. Until that time, I'll just play ETS2 and the other tons of Free games that PSN delivers and the hugely discounted backlog of games I've picked up Steam over the year for a few dollars. I really pays to be patient in this day and age.
Zakxaev68

#67 Post by Zakxaev68 » 24 Jan 2016 02:18

I deem the map of ATS average-sized, yep, it is not up to par with ETS2's world or way whopping, I myself have been skeptical until very now, anyways, as Nevada and Arizona will not cost a cent, I am fine at the base content. For what's further down the road, and the price tag of paid DLC's I won't jump the gun at that early stage.

There's that I am pretty convinced in SCS aren't those ordinary corporate roaches would thoughtlessly trade us, deffo not. It's in everybody's interest they keep the price fair for our wallets. Or... I might hope. That's me, however!

03 Feb cannot come soon enough, here y'all "presenty" I done for own usage today I thought it would be handy to the ones anticipating ATS in excitement like I do, hence I present it for everyone to delve on:

an ETS2 - ATS world map compare I spent 2-~3 hours on of zooming, re-sizing, mirroring, bending, fitting, adjusting, insulting... so to "tighten the screws and bolts onto the framework". I think the efforts are paid, glad if you figure it useful for your purposes, feel free guys!

[ external image ]

CLICK HERE for full-size (3187x1576)
Hard truckin' on the virtual roads since 2002...

The Big Rig Rock is under indefinite hiatus!
fredbull

#68 Post by fredbull » 24 Jan 2016 23:26

Zakxaev68 wrote: insulting...
i allready see the scene from here

:lol:
angrybirdseller

#69 Post by angrybirdseller » 09 Feb 2016 05:49

People seem to forget about the 18 wheels of steel truckers that what ATS is replacing not ETS2.

Return to “American Truck Simulator”