The Correct Way to Place Speed Limit Signs

TruckerKid

The Correct Way to Place Speed Limit Signs

#1 Post by TruckerKid » 07 Apr 2016 06:48

Now this isn't a complaint, but more of a guide for SCS showing how speed limit signs are placed in the US.

Speed limit signs in the US are placed every 1/4 mile or so from each other before entering a zone that requires a reduction or increase and should be 10mph either higher or lower from the previous sign.

When entering towns (non-interstate) the signs should go as follows: 65>55>45>35 (mph)

With the above deceleration zone, each sign placed roughly 1/4 of a mile apart should theoretically allow a driver in a car to let off the accelerator at the first sign and coast down and match the next speed reduction at the exact moment or before they pass it.

Accelration zones are set up the same way in terms of distance from each sign, except (obviously) the speeds are increased. Like so: 35>45>55>65 (mph)

They are placed on a road like so:

Also another note regarding speed limits in construction zones: the speed limit should only reduce to a minimum of 45mph or 55mph on interstates depending on the location.

If anyone else would like to contribute to this or correct any mistakes I've made: please feel free to do so.
Last edited by TruckerKid on 24 Oct 2018 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
jarvik79

Re: The Correct Way to Place Speed Limit Signs

#2 Post by jarvik79 » 07 Apr 2016 11:54

Although I agree (from memory of what little driving I've actually done in the States), there's a small problem with this though. The rate at which you physically accelerate is roughly synonymous with real time, but the scale of the map is 1:34.

So the signs would have to be placed at either:
  • 1/34th of a quarter mile to each other on the map, i.e. almost literally on top of each other, or
  • a distance at which the truck naturally coasts to decelerate - which would be 34 times the distance of reality in the map. In other words, you'd leave a town, accelerate a little, and virtually immediately see a sign telling you of a lower speed limit.
And of course, if they were placed at some point in between (so neither), you'd inevitably have all the fanboys screaming "THESE SIGNS AREN'T PLACED CORRECTLY!!!1!!!!!! WHERES MY RANGE T AND DOUBLE PIVOTS???!!!?!". :)
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#3 Post by Mohegan13 » 07 Apr 2016 12:03

That would be one slow drive from Vegas to Primm.

We'd never see a sign for 65 let alone 80. :lol:
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
TruckerKid

#4 Post by TruckerKid » 07 Apr 2016 14:46

Yes I do agree the scale would be an issue with the sign distance, however, i would be satisfied if they at least set it up in the same manner but with signs closer together to compensate the smaller scale.
LeafeonGold

#5 Post by LeafeonGold » 07 Apr 2016 15:03

Or maybe atleast a "Reduced Speed Limit Ahead" Sign. They would come in one of two variants.

http://www.safetysupplywarehouse.com/v/ ... 4550-2.jpg

or

http://www.clrp.cornell.edu/images/qa/038-w3-5.jpg
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW |//| 32GB RAM
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#6 Post by Mohegan13 » 07 Apr 2016 16:18

I think RiXeN has a good alternative there, taking into account realism vs game scaling limitations.

Just as an FYI I have added it to Mantis as 'feedback' so ya never know. One of the devs might like it too. :P
[ external image ]
packersfanmw87

#7 Post by packersfanmw87 » 02 Aug 2016 06:12

Hopefully the new scale will help a little. More room to play with.

My biggest gripe is when they turn the Interstates into city streets and the speed limit changes drastically without warning. Put up a sign and tweak the A.I. to gradually slow down and not just slam on the brakes.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#8 Post by Mohegan13 » 02 Aug 2016 08:08

As soon as you see a bunch of cars flying over your roof you know the speed limit has changed from 75 to 25, quite easy to tell, I really don't see a problem. :D
[ external image ]
theluckyone17

#9 Post by theluckyone17 » 04 Dec 2016 18:56

TruckerKid wrote:...Speed limit signs in the US are placed every 1/4 mile or so from each other before entering a zone that requires a reduction or increase and should be 10mph either higher or lower from the previous sign..
Not exactly in New York State. The 1/4 mile-ish rule is in effect, for varying definitions of ish. First sign gets placed as close to the line of the speed limit change as reasonably possible. Next sign is a maximum of 1,100 feet away. Following signs can be placed further away, but at a maximum of 100 times the speed limit in mph. For example, a 40 mph zone would have subsequent signs placed a maximum of 4,000 feet in between. Reference https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operat ... dopted.pdf

There's no restriction on the amount of the change, either, as far as I know. I've seen 55's drop down to 30's; 45's into 40's. Seems to be a bit of a preference for a single drop from a linear speed limit into an area limit. Unless there's a school zone exception, that area limit is generally widespread; it's not like MA where there's multiple nested zones within a relatively short distance.

But this is Upstate NY... we're usually doing things differently than the rest of the country...
Myeager

#10 Post by Myeager » 12 Jul 2017 22:53

the real problem I have is with basically no speed limit signs on US95 between I40 and I10. Going south, the speed limit changes to 15 for some reason and never goes up again. But when getting close to I10 there are signs to reduce speed ahead and the next speed limit sign is 40! That really grinds my gears

Return to “American Truck Simulator”