Non synchronized transmission & double clutch

jdkelley93

Re: Non synchronized transmission & double clutch

#11 Post by jdkelley93 » 10 Mar 2017 20:57

@Frank

With `uset g_hshifter_synchronized` set to 0, I find it nearly impossible to double clutch. Like you said, the floating mechanism work really well. After a couple minutes in a truck, i can shift up and down with minimal to no grinding. Wish they would fix the double clutching game mechanic tho.
Software dev by day, virtual trucker by night
Flapjack09

#12 Post by Flapjack09 » 16 Mar 2017 02:04

Beta 1.6.xxx
It does not seem to work for me with setting of "0" or "1".
I have two config files. One is config.cfg and the other, which has the uset g_hshifter_ settings, is preview_config.cfg. I'm making the changes in the preview confg file.
Am I doing this correctly?
Thanks
IonutL

#13 Post by IonutL » 16 Mar 2017 10:09

That option you are looking for is in the config.cfg file located here: "C:\Users\your pc name\Documents\American Truck Simulator\profiles\different letters and numbers\config.cfg". So the one inside the profiles folder.
Verloc

#14 Post by Verloc » 26 Mar 2017 06:21

Since 1.6 you have to time the second clutch for when the RPMs match. If you try to shift like you would when floating, except clutching before you complete the shift, you will end up clutching too early,- at least that was the problem for me. Since I corrected for that I can double clutch shift fairly reliably.

What I'm still having a lot of trouble with is catching gears at low speed and low rpm (<1000). Especially when going from low to first,- I can't complete this shift even while floating, unless I rev up all the way to 1500. Matching RPM seems to be most unforgiving in that low RPM range, while from what I understand it should be quite the opposite.

In this video for example, a tractor with a 10 speed is double clutch shifted through the entire low range without even touching the throttle, just creeping forward with an idling engine. The gears simply pull themselves in place while the clutch is disconnected at those low RPMs.
theclumsygeek

#15 Post by theclumsygeek » 26 Mar 2017 15:20

Verloc wrote:Since 1.6 you have to time the second clutch for when the RPMs match. If you try to shift like you would when floating, except clutching before you complete the shift, you will end up clutching too early,- at least that was the problem for me. Since I corrected for that I can double clutch shift fairly reliably.
Does that mean the second clutch and shifting from neutral to gear should happen simultaneously?

If we take a typical upshift scenario for a full gear in a level road, how should it work?
1. Increase rpms to until 1500.
2. Clutch, go back to neutral, release clutch.
3. Wait until rpm falls to 1100 (step on gas if rpm falls too much).
4. Clutch and shift into gear at the same time, release clutch.

I've been trying this but have found no consistent pattern when it accepts it and when it grinds. On the other hand, floating gears work almost perfectly and clearly follow the matching rpms requirement. I'm thinking we're either missing an essential part of this double clutching mechanic, or it's bugged right now.
Verloc

#16 Post by Verloc » 26 Mar 2017 18:37

Don't try to rush the shift, just concentrate on catching the right RPM with the second clutch depress. Once the clutch is depressed, the input shaft stays at that RPM (or decays slowly, if that's simulated). The engine rpm shown on the gauge doesn't matter beyond this point, it can and will keep dropping.

At that point you just drop it in gear in a timely manner. Do it like one, two. Catch RPM with the clutch pedal, then drop in gear; one, two. If the RPMs match, the gears will mesh and as you release the clutch pedal the RPM gauge will rise back to the now connected input shaft's RPM.

Of course while the input shaft RPM stays (relatively) the same as long as the clutch is disconnected, the road speed will keep dropping and can still throw you off if you wait too long with the shift.
theclumsygeek

#17 Post by theclumsygeek » 26 Mar 2017 21:36

Cool, makes sense! Let me try that. Hope it works in-game.

Update: It works PERFECTLY! That was the "ingredient" I was missing. Thanks super!

So here is how it goes based on what's been working for me. Assuming we take a typical upshift scenario for a full gear in a level road:
1. Increase rpms to until 1500.
2. Hold clutch, go back to neutral, release clutch.
3. Wait until rpm falls to 1100 (step on gas if rpm falls too much).
4. Hold clutch (to lock in revs), wait ~1sec, shift into gear, release clutch. For the timing, think about the 1-2 snapping in the Adams family theme song.

For sure there are variations depending on speed, slope, etc., but this should be the fundamental concept. I plan to make a vid on it soon for better visualization.
hainan

#18 Post by hainan » 29 Mar 2017 08:51

Hi to all,

I have something to say about double clutch procedure.
  • 1. Increase rpm to until 1500.
  • 2. Hold clutch, go back to neutral, release clutch.
  • 3. Wait until rpm falls to 1100 (step on gas if rpm falls too much).
  • 4. Hold clutch (to lock in revs), wait ~1sec, shift into gear, release clutch.
This driving operation is not clear in game. I want to share you a paragraph from Eaton Fuller Driver Instruction. You can download it here. (PDF File)

Quotation from Double-Clutching Procedure Section
Depress clutch pedal slightly to break torque enough to move the shift lever to neutral.

Note: Avoid depressing the clutch pedal too far and contacting the clutch brake.
This section is very important. Game wants full press to the clutch. Slightly press clutch did not work when I tried yesterday. Full press working but not effective. Driver needs to change gear very quickly. But I was afraid I would break the gear lever. Sometimes i was missed the gear because of quick shifting. Even so I was able to change gears up shift by making very little noise between 1L and 8L. (LL to 1L is an other problem.) But I could not make it quiet (without grinding sound i mean). I also tried to shift 1H -> 2L; same result.

You can see all the procedure (up shifting & down shifting) in this video.

L to H shift is working perfectly. Game offers you two choice; Clutch and Throttle. But Eaton Fuller Driver Instruction says
.. single-clutch during split shifts while the shift lever is in the same position.

in procedure section
Pre-select just before making an up shift by moving the button for-ward while maintaining accelerator position. Then, immediately, release the accelerator,depress the clutch pedal once to break torque, release the pedal to reengage the clutch, allow the engine to decelerate until the shift is complete. Continue driving or up shifting. The transmission shifts from "L" to "H" when synchronous is reached.
So split shifts using clutch not throttle.

Engine rpm slow down quickly. Shifting must be very quickly. I push the gear too hard for quick shifting. If I continue to play like this one day I will break the gear lever. :D

Best Regards
natvander
SCS Software

#19 Post by natvander » 29 Mar 2017 09:19

You can reduce your clutch range in the controller settings. I have mine somewhere around 30% of the full range. With that I only need around 50% clutch depression for a gear change. Not perfect but it is better than 100%.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
hainan

#20 Post by hainan » 29 Mar 2017 09:25

natvander Yes i know that setting. I guess I tried it at 20%. I will try %30 or different values. Thanks.

Return to “General discussion about the game”