Non synchronized transmission & double clutch

stgpascal

Non synchronized transmission & double clutch

#1 Post by stgpascal » 21 Aug 2016 05:29

Hello everyone,

I recently found out this AWESOME game but Im a bit confused about double clutch technique & non synchronized transmission.

I have played advanced shifting but I think my truck still has a synchronized transmission since I just need to hold down the clutch change gear and wait for the tranny to get in gear.

I also tried to disable the uset g_hshifter_synchronized "0" which, for the small infos i could gather, gives you a real non synchronized tranny.After some practice I got quite good with this turned off but by trial and error I found that I could change gear without double clutching with the right timing. I just needed to depress the clutch about halfway/

So my question is does the last option really simulate a real unsynchronized tranny since I can "cheat" my way without double clutching. I really begin to appreciate this challenge mode and I am willing to share my trick to play it and I really want to learn from other playing it.
Centrino2

Re: Non synchronized transmission & double clutch

#2 Post by Centrino2 » 21 Aug 2016 08:32

It's not cheating, it's called gitting gud.

You just got the tranmission in gear at the right revolutions (not on engine rpm gauge).

Look up floating gears (something like that) which is pretty much clutchless shifting which is something quite a few truckers do.
Max
SCS Software

#3 Post by Max » 21 Aug 2016 11:22

g_hshifter_synchronized is experimental, and although it works somewhat, it is not completely correct yet.
IRL, double clutching is needed for getting input shaft and connected gears into correct rpm when downshifting. this simulation is not done yet as it heavily depends on specific construction of each transmission. so one long clutch press with throttle blip works now while it should not.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
stgpascal

#4 Post by stgpascal » 21 Aug 2016 13:23

Thanks for your feedback Max & Centrino

I really appreciate this game. I know you surely got a lot of work building the other states and the rescale thing. I know this experimental feature is probably not the top #1 priority but I hope in the future it will be fully implemented :D
asullenger

#5 Post by asullenger » 22 Aug 2016 23:36

I never use the clutch for up shifting or down shifting. Only time I ever use it is to get it in gear to take off. If you get youre rpm's right it will fall into gear every time, with no grinding
RiftFlyer

#6 Post by RiftFlyer » 16 Dec 2016 17:30

Are you doing this with uset g_hshifter_synchronized set to "0"? I've been practicing this for days and find it extremely hit and miss. I have the gearbox set to Eaton Fuller 13spd and advanced with Ron Pauls physics mod installed. I can do it easily with uset g_hshifter_synchronized set to "1" but that's not realistic as the box synchros automatically.
Last edited by Unco on 16 Dec 2016 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote of entire previous post
Murph

#7 Post by Murph » 17 Dec 2016 03:13

asullenger wrote:I never use the clutch for up shifting or down shifting. Only time I ever use it is to get it in gear to take off. If you get youre rpm's right it will fall into gear every time, with no grinding
I'll start by saying that it's only a game, so please do play it any way you prefer.

Frankly, I see no-clutch changes as unprofessional, unless the transmission manufacturer has explicit instructions saying that they can be done (Eaton explicitly say you should always use the clutch on their manual transmissions). No matter how good the driver thinks they are, it's very difficult to reliably and perfectly match speeds 100% of the time. All those grinding noises when you don't quite get it right are big $$$ being slowly sucked from your wallet as you destroy the expensive cogs and block the transmissions's oil filter with shavings.

Some people in the real world seem to think "floating" is cool and a sign of skill. My opinion is that it's lazy and unprofessional when it goes against manufacturer's recommendations. No driver is good enough to get it perfect all of the time, so there's only drivers that are damaging their transmissions more slowly or quickly, and those who avoid it by following the correct procedure. It's not just grinding the gear you are going into, there's unnecessary wear on the faces of the teeth of the gear you were previously in as it disengages.

E.g. Eaton's Driver Instructions for the RT-13 and RT-18 families say "Always use normal double-clutching procedures when making lever shifts."
RiftFlyer

#8 Post by RiftFlyer » 17 Dec 2016 11:20

Murph the problem with double clutching in the default configuration is the game synchronizes the transmission for you. At least floating you have to match rpms which adds to the skill and sense of accomplishment a bit. By turning uset g_hshifter_synchronized to 0 in the config it means you have to match rpm irrespective of whether you float or double clutch. I'm finding it a lot harder this way (even floating seems more difficult for some reason). I know it's only a game and without feedback on the shifter it will always be more difficult. I'm just curious if asullenger has mastered driving with this setting in config and if it's just a matter of more practicing. I'm using VR and try to make it as much of a simulation as possible. It's just the way I like to play.
Murph

#9 Post by Murph » 17 Dec 2016 16:09

RiftFlyer, sure, those are valid things in-game. SCS have done a great job with the simulation, but it's always going to be imperfect relative to the real world (at least for the immediate future, without some super-expensive control devices which feel like the real thing). Hence why I say play it any way you prefer.

I just wanted to counter the real world bad practice of real drivers thinking they know better than the transmission manufacturer. People here should be aware that floating gears in the real world is actually a bad thing, and do it in-game for reasons other than believing it's the correct way to do it. Using it as a way to work around the imperfections of the simulation and the controllers we have available is ok.
Frank

#10 Post by Frank » 07 Mar 2017 16:37

Hi all.

Have you guys had a change to test uset g_hshifter_synchronized set to "0" with the new ATS 1.6 update?

I find it impossible to double clutch now. Floating the gears feels amazing and I've managed to get it right on multiple transmissions and diff ratios. I'll grind the first few gears till I get the timing right and from there I float up and down shifts smoothly.

I do however want to double clutch now and then when driving slow or maneuvering around a company yard. I just can't get a gear when using the clutch unless the wheels are not rolling.

How do you experience it ?

Return to “General discussion about the game”