New Mexico? More boring long flat sand roads. Oh boy!

Roadkill

Re: New Mexico? More boring long flat sand roads. Oh boy!

#51 Post by Roadkill » 03 Mar 2017 12:46

jaws quote "But seriously, dont complain about them doing new maps for this awesome game, just take it and say thank you SCS."

There is no thank you necessary for something I have to pay for. The thanks is given from those receiving the money.

No one is complaining about them making new content.

Suggest you read this blog and the response made by Max.

http://www.toistersolutions.com/blog/20 ... t-complain
---- Rockies Back. This time HE'S at the wheel. Look out stoopid hoomans.
Immense7771

#52 Post by Immense7771 » 04 Mar 2017 01:35

"There is no thank you necessary for something I have to pay for. The thanks is given from those receiving the money."

^ You couldn't be more wrong. :roll:

Anyway, who really cares what state is added next as long as new content is coming out for the game? To SCS NM was the next logical step in their map expansion, I'm sure they thought about it a lot instead of just drawing a name out of a hat. I for one am looking forward to new roads to drive and sights to see. If you're truly bored to death of ATS take a break getting burnt out on games is something that happens. It's natural.
Roadkill

#53 Post by Roadkill » 05 Mar 2017 12:08

Immense7771 wrote: ^ You couldn't be more wrong. :roll:
If you live long enough you may find that other peoples opinions may vary from yours, but from your response it sounds like you just assume you are always right. Sad. If you expect your point of view to be respected you need to learn to do the same for others. Otherwise you end up sounding like a self righteous opinionated bore .

Burnout is not necessary or inevitable if there is enough diversity. Case in example, I have played ETS and ETS2 since the day they were released and
4000+ hours of game time later I still enjoy the game even more than when I began because of the many improvements. Content and improvements for ATS by comparison has been sparse from the beginning and required many re-dos to make it playable.

Why does it matter what state they release next you ask. If you had bothered to read the thread you would have your answer, and not just my opinion either.
---- Rockies Back. This time HE'S at the wheel. Look out stoopid hoomans.
Sora

#54 Post by Sora » 06 Mar 2017 15:37

canuckster wrote:What I do wish SCS had done though which I suggested before was to not have so many cities in each state. This would have likely sped up the development process. I mean how many times do I like to go to Show Low Arizona fore example? Or Ely NV? I stick to the highway cities myself, but I guess there are drivers who like the small roads too, so, there's that.
One thing to consider, though, is that places like Show Low and Ely are at least partially as out-of-the-way as they are because they're currently on the edge of the map. When you're at the end of the main highways, or in a rather unfortunate corner of Nevada, it's perfectly natural that you'll be seldom visited.

But if we add New Mexico and Utah, these small towns suddenly become a good bit more relevant. Show Low is now one of the routes into New Mexico and will be important for that reason alone. Ely, similarly, will end up becoming more important once Utah is added and it's suddenly in a relatively accessible and central location with respect to that state. Likewise for Jackpot/Idaho and Hornbrook/Oregon, among other examples (like Page/Kayenta and San Simon.) This is one of the major reasons why map expansion, especially with respect to the remaining Four Corners states, is so crucial: just by existing, states like Utah and New Mexico would not only add new territory themselves but improve accessibility for the current map by providing more reasons to justify going to distant regions off the 5, 10, and 40 that aren't just "get 100% map completion".
vuurdraak

#55 Post by vuurdraak » 13 Mar 2017 08:48

ETS2 has many large high quality maps for free that allow enough diversity to prevent this boredom
Those "free" maps sadly only work in Windows, lucky for most players they use Windows of cause, so they enjoy the hard work of modders giving ETS2 a lot of free extra content which also partly made the game popular.
I'm how ever playing the game in Linux, and the maps/objects (Like TSM) are bugged in OpenGL, partly because they reversed engineered objects when they started the map, and they didn't bother if it worked in OpenGL as long as it worked in DirectX which is faster anyway then OpenGL (OpenGL runs up to two times slower then DirectX 12, Vulkan should replace it but ETS2 & ATS do'nt support Vulkan), only things like Jazzycats car mod works, as its objects are not bugged in OpenGL.

I have only bought ATS last week, after holding out for a year, as it didn't have enough content for my taste, after I noticed that 2 extra states where added for free. (I own ETS2 with all map extensions)

I agree that ATS seems like a game with a lot of strait roads and highways and dessert, it's fun in the sense that it has a different feel to it then ETS2, but I fear that it will become boring very soon, specially if more states are added with basically the same kind of lay out.
One of the charms of ETS2, is that it has a lot of different kind of roads and scenery, I'm sort of missing the small winding roads that twist and turn while going up and down steep hills, or the annoying (but fun) deep mining pit that your truck is unable to pull out off with a heavy load and weak engine like in the basic ETS2 map, it is fun when you have to really work to get a load past a difficult point, rather then just drive on a strait highway with tumble weeds passing by, regardless if the whole USA looks like that, I can imagine it has a charm of it's own driving through the whole USA in the future from the East to West coast, but please put in some difficult terrain along with the strait roads.
gigawert

#56 Post by gigawert » 15 Mar 2017 02:07

I do remember in one of SCS's blog posts that they had a team working eastward and another team working northward. So why didn't they announce Oregon with New Mexico?
gigawert

#57 Post by gigawert » 15 Mar 2017 02:09

tbar wrote: You also need to start adding more activity than just driving from point a to point b such as more pickup/delivery along the way using tandems. More diverse delivery points. ETS2 has many large high quality maps for free that allow enough diversity to prevent this boredom. For whatever reason those same map makers are not interested in ATS. May have originally been because of the map scale and an unfamiliarity with the scenery and signage. Hopefully this year we'll see something more from them.
Yep, for example, we should have pickup trucks in the simulator as they are often used to haul stuff that doesn't quite justify using a big rig for. Things like hauling 1-3 cars, a horse trailer, or an RV attachment/trailer.
TwinShadow

#58 Post by TwinShadow » 15 Mar 2017 08:17

gigawert wrote:I do remember in one of SCS's blog posts that they had a team working eastward and another team working northward. So why didn't they announce Oregon with New Mexico?
Likely not even close to being ready. So, nothing to announce basically.
Murph

#59 Post by Murph » 15 Mar 2017 09:26

With two map teams, it makes far more business sense to arrange things so that they are perfectly out of sync with each other. It's much better all round if only one of the teams is going through QA and release at a time, as efforts can then focus on giving a really good polish to a smaller amount of product. I.e. a double rate delivery of releases spread evenly over time rather than two releases at once then a long gap until the next two releases.

I have absolutely no concerns about New Mexico being the next release, and absolutely don't care if it's "more of the same" in terms of long straight desert roads. I have great confidence that the SCS map team(s) will do a great job.
Last edited by Murph on 15 Mar 2017 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#60 Post by Flemming V » 15 Mar 2017 09:28

gigawert wrote:they had a team working eastward and another team working northward
If this is true, I would guess it could be because working eastward is much more easy as most of needed prefabs has already been created for these surroundings.
Northward would require more green prefabs and so on.

Often, many people think that making a map is so easy and just a question of copy and paste, and yes it is for us, but not for SCS.
SCS need to make all these prefabs that we copy and paste, this is why it takes them so much longer than us to make a state.
If SCS could make maps as modders do, they would have been in NY by now.. :)

Return to “General discussion about the game”