ATS 1.6 with xbone controller - understeering/overbraking

eddiehead-01

ATS 1.6 with xbone controller - understeering/overbraking

#1 Post by eddiehead-01 » 14 Mar 2017 21:02

i can't be the only one with this problem and i don't know if there's a solution but i can't find one so i guess it's just in the programming

biggest problem i have with the game which has been present for a long time is understeer using a controller. Obviously with a wheel you can just not steer as much but with a controller the steering seems to be fixed at an insanely small amount. It makes turning so painful

Not only do I have to go 5mph (and before you ask, I know you won't take corners at 50 in a truck, I don't want that either) but I usually also have to swing extremely wide, sometimes having to mount the pavement on the wrong side of the road coupled with backing up a few times to get out of depots or make tighter turns on to/off of roads. There seems to be no speed adaptation for steering at all. At speed yeah, the steering is perfect, but slowing down should make the wheel turn a lot more than it currently does with a controller

I've played around with steering sensitively and non-linearity settings which all seem to do nothing with a controller. Anyone have more suggestions or are we just stuck because game says no

The other problem I have which is since 1.6 is that braking seems to be on/off instead of progressive. I tap the brake and it takes 15-20mph off almost immediately. Extremely frustrating considering it's then a chore to get going again from what is essentially a full stop. It's almost like the brake has become a handbrake! Using engine braking helps but doesn't solve the problem. I have brake intensity down as low as it goes and again this seems to make no difference. Is this a known issue with the game or do I just have some conflicting settings that I'm not aware of since 1.6 dropped?
Cadde

Re: ATS 1.6 with xbone controller - understeering/overbrakin

#2 Post by Cadde » 14 Mar 2017 23:10

Sensitivity does affect controller but it's still a linear function with speed. That is IF you have selected gamepad rather than steering wheel as the controller type.

[ external image ]

Non-linearity is not really going to help you here.

If the sensitivity options isn't enough for you then you need to make a mod for /def/vehicle/physics.sii

Code: Select all

# These coeficients are used for computing autocentering wheel speed.
	# The faster vehicle moves and the more steering wheel is turned left or right
	# the higher autocentering speed is.
	# Given value of speed_coef is for 100km/h velocity (linear raise).
	# Given value of angle_coef is for maximum wheel turn (30degrees, linear raise).
	# Returning speed coeficient is computed by multiplication of both coeficients.
	# When result coeficient is 1, returning speed is exactly the same as full
	# turning speed. This balance points define natural limits of steering
	# dependent on vehicle speed.
	# Ratio_coef defines upper limit of result coeficient (ratio against player).

steering_speed_coef:	4.0
	steering_angle_coef:	2.0
	steering_ratio_coef:	0.95

# Maximum allowed rotation of the front wheels (degrees)
	max_visual_rotation:	35

# Modification of base steering sensitivity depending on truck speed.
	# Used only with relative steering (keyboard, joypad).

steering_sensitivity_multiplier_0kmh:		1.0
	steering_sensitivity_multiplier_100kmh:		0.4
	steering_sensitivity_multiplier_minimum:	0.2
	steering_sensitivity_multiplier_maximum:	10.0
On extended hiatus.
eddiehead-01

#3 Post by eddiehead-01 » 18 Mar 2017 12:48

ok so thanks for the code. I've managed to unpack the def.scs file and work my way to the physics.sii file. I applied the new numbers to the sensitivity multiplier, then repacked all back into the def archive. However when I now try and run the game I get

"The game filesystem failed to initialize, aborting now"

going back to the original restores the game to working. So I guess I'm doing something wrong when repacking the file? I've never really had to mess about with the extracted game files for this one. I've done it on other games which has normally worked fine

any hints?
Cadde

#4 Post by Cadde » 18 Mar 2017 20:27

You only included physics.sii right?
If so, upload the archive somewhere and i will have a look.
On extended hiatus.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#5 Post by Wolfi » 18 Mar 2017 20:41

It looks like you try to replace original game archive instead of making the changed file into a mod.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
eddiehead-01

#6 Post by eddiehead-01 » 22 Mar 2017 15:53

my n00bness to modding of any kind got he better of me lol. I tried to pack the mod physics.sii into a zip file then renamed to .scs - yeah it didn't like that

I also tried to leave it all unpacked in a folder and took me half hour to find out it doesn't like underscores in the top folder name. We're all good moving forward now.

For the record Cadde I found some of your youtube vids on modding which is where I found my answers. very handy :)
Cadde

#7 Post by Cadde » 25 Mar 2017 07:16

Yeah, i made them for some kind of purpose i guess. :P
On extended hiatus.
bowserchomp

#8 Post by bowserchomp » 28 Mar 2017 12:25

I've been tweaking and refining the physics.sii file myself, trying to make the game more playable with gamepads in general. I've had the same issues, with not enough turning at lower speeds, with too much turning at higher speeds, and too much brake force too quickly.

But there is speed sensitivity in ETS2 and ATS, just nowhere as good as, say the Forza series.
treed889

#9 Post by treed889 » 03 May 2017 13:18

I just started playing with an xbox controller and, i can agree to the braking i simply cut the brake sensitivity in half and also have the engine brake set to my left trigger and the actual brake set up as an E-brake button because i always thought it was too sensitive. as for the steering ive probably just gotten used to dealing with it form playing with keys only. but ive never had to mount the opposite sidewalk, and car lot pickups were the worst, going through the garage in the building and out the far exit is only way i can get out easily. hope this helps

Return to “General discussion about the game”