Will SCS ever fix that funky ramp and area at San Francisco

Centrino2

Will SCS ever fix that funky ramp and area at San Francisco

#1 Post by Centrino2 » 11 May 2017 05:59

One look a Google Maps and you see the ramp into San Francisco is not like that crazy loop SCS put in.... uhhh... how long ago?

[ external image ]
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa ... 22.0307963

Plus they set up U.S. 101 to run out of Santa Cruz, when U.S. 101 is several miles away from Santa Cruz.

So will these areas ever be fixed or are they just permanently........ ducked?
wolfedg

Re: Will SCS ever fix that funky ramp and area at San Franci

#2 Post by wolfedg » 11 May 2017 12:18

I wouldnt expect too much to be done with the old areas anytime soon other than general bugfixes, but I could be wrong. As far as map inaccuracies some of them may be leftovers from the pre-rescale map, but I dont think SCS ever intended a 100% accurate representation of the map as it is scaled down massively to begin with. What they have done is to create a map that gives the general feel of driving in the represented area, and for a foreign company, I tbhink they've done a wonderful job so far.
foamfollower

#3 Post by foamfollower » 11 May 2017 12:55

I would disagree with the last post. The map, particularly California looks like a blind guy threw it together in 5 minutes. Not even slightly close to reality other than the highway names. It is called American Truck SIMULATOR isnt it? But we got liftable axles and Valentines day paints, teehee.
Centrino2

#4 Post by Centrino2 » 11 May 2017 16:31

Do I even have to mention how badly ducked up the toll plaza is (I know they did the same mess elsewhere). If the toll plaza is not on your side of the road then it should not unrealistically affect your side of the road..... good lawd....

Just to let you know (who ever it is I'm talking to), Rig'n'Roll did that area way better.

... now I see Oakland is nowhere near right either...... Imma just leave this be before I blow a fuse.

..... okay couldn't help myself...

San Jose is totally not represented at all in ATS even though it is to the south of San Francisco and the overwhelmingly underrepresented and misbuilt Oakland (I mean come on this place got an international airport too), it should all really seem like one big city... according to Google Maps.

San Jose is instead replaced by an unnamed possibly unrealistic "fun route" (not mocking it as I do like this route), I would say that the route would have to be cut short to place San Jose there or replace with another way to get into San Jose via CA 1, I have found a 39.2 mile route that could be just as fun and realistic..... if legal: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.0027 ... m2!4m1!3e0
Added: This route is legal... till ya hit Jamison Creek Road (downloads PDF: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... CPLIW195zw)

US 101 should run into San Jose but as of now it runs into Santa Cruz... even though in real life US 101 is several miles away from Santa Cruz, that is just one flaw I see with Santa Cruz other than that everything else seems fine.

And as for CA 152 that runs into I-5 to US 101, there is a truckstop there that is not represented at all in game.

Whether this could result in a severely cramped area with the 1:20 scale or not is what I wonder that only SCS (and other professional map makers) can figure out.... if SCS ever decides to do it.
Last edited by Centrino2 on 16 May 2017 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bit more info
angrybirdseller

#5 Post by angrybirdseller » 11 May 2017 19:53

Never drive along the coast as it seem would be illegal and would of not have added Santa Maria to the map instead San Bernadino or Long Beach where major cargo ports. Overall, scs did good job with resources they have on the map it's Europeans building the map not North Americans.
Axel Slingerland

#6 Post by Axel Slingerland » 11 May 2017 20:03

foamfollower wrote:I would disagree with the last post. The map, particularly California looks like a blind guy threw it together in 5 minutes.
I'll say the same thing to you as I have many other people who have made similar derogatory comments about SCS's work. If you can do better, then do it. Then release it as a map mod. I bet you can't do it in 5 minutes, even watching what you're doing.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
Centrino2

#7 Post by Centrino2 » 16 May 2017 07:04

One final note about the US-101...... how in de heterosexual hell (Squidbillies reference) does the US-101 stop in Santa Cruz (which it actually goes through as a double lane) and then reappear again leaving San Francisco going northbound?

Good lawd... (Trevor reference)

Which revealed to me that you should see more of San Rafael from US-101 and I-580 and their intersection than what it is in game but is not what I mean to focus on

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

I-580 that runs through Oakland leaves Oakland heading east and joins up with and becomes I-5.... but there is I-880 that continues it's run through Oakland, intersects US-101, and ends, becoming CA-17 in San Jose... but after it leaves Oakland and right before it enters San Jose.... and I'm sure certain SCS employees will love this landmark of I-880... which by the way, it may produce the second or third electric semi truck in the world:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/San+F ... 22.4194155

That's all the nagging I got (for now) for the San Francisco, I hope I don't find another area in game that is supa funky.

I have never been to the west coast in my entire life.... or even mid east... furthest I have gone west is Alabama. Furthest north I have been is Boston, MA, also where I was born... but was not raised there, but did visit in the summer time.

As much as I would like to see these areas fixed... that is up to SCS to decide.... although this is probably wayyyy too much to ask for unfortunately.... and on that depressing bombshell, this topic ends. :(
canuckster

#8 Post by canuckster » 17 May 2017 03:26

I try to avoid San Francisco as much as possible, which kind of sucks because it's a nice place. Just takes too long to get anywhere in game there. But I understand it at the same time, I mean those bridges are iconic.

I still think they should get rid of the winding route south of SF and replace it with the San Mateo bridge, put all of SFs industries in the actual industrial areas that lie between the San Mateo and the Bay Bridge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone mention that SCS was going to tweek SF a bit?
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Pining to drive the Trans-Canada Highway... some eventual beautiful day.
flight50

#9 Post by flight50 » 21 May 2017 13:27

I agree with the second post. I understand that we all want our cities to mimic real roads, but look at it this way. Do you want every single area to be 100% accurate right now, or do you want more states. I vote more states. They can add and tweak things later. After all, just like the other comment stated, they are not North American. So to even give us attention, is a treat in my humble opinion.
Last edited by flight50 on 27 Oct 2017 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
gigawert

Re: Will SCS ever fix that funky ramp and area at San Francisco

#10 Post by gigawert » 03 Jun 2017 22:07

Yeah the Bay Area is a bit weird. San Jose is non-existent in ATS, US-101 doesn't go through Santa Cruz, and Oakland is bigger than a port village.

Return to “General discussion about the game”