Double Trailers

xDope

Re: Double Trailers

#61 Post by xDope » 06 Sep 2016 03:30

Thanks for the clarification!
If it is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
Space_Night

#62 Post by Space_Night » 22 Sep 2016 18:31

if i remember rightly, they used to have Turnpike doubles in 18 wheels of steel. they were interesting to drive but managable once you got the hang of it
Big_Blade

#63 Post by Big_Blade » 16 Dec 2016 00:41

lod_model_hookup_u

Can someone tell me what this means? it was also added in ats but my question is?

Is that so modders can make dowble trailers with more then one pivot point?
Big_Blade

#64 Post by Big_Blade » 03 Jan 2017 05:40

elitegamer0611 wrote:
Also note that most 25m+25m drivers in real life dont drive at all like he is.
In real life there are no 13.6 + 13.6 meters [Yes you were wrong they were not 25 meters] trailers on EU or USA highways [But maybe on Australia roads]

But there are 7.8 + 7.8 meters.

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/roa ... p_acea.pdf

Sorry to say but you are completely wrong here in Canada you have 53 ft traillers but here we can only pull 3 of those across Canada

another note USA allows 2 48ft trailers thats max yes there are some 25-28ft trailers that are pulled as triples in some states i live in Canada but you need to pay attention sir and do your homework and research

3rd note person driving the trailers in the youtube video has no clue and 2 100% a kid driving you can tell by how the truck steers and how trailers act. if you dont believe me try it on Farm Simulator 15 or 17 some time might due you some good for learning :P
room217au

#65 Post by room217au » 03 Jan 2017 06:12

TwinShadow wrote:With the way how the games are set up, one would not be required to back up doubles
I too, said as much in a related post.
Also, the trailers could be permanently attached. The "double" could essentially be one "trailer object" and all you need do is hitch it up like normal.
Some of the company prefabs are large enough with ample in and out space to accommodate doubles already.
I'm with you, I want these larger trailers.
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Space_Night

#66 Post by Space_Night » 10 Mar 2017 15:38

I had 18wos haulin a while ago, reversing a pike double was interesting, doable but not easy.
TheDriver959

#67 Post by TheDriver959 » 19 Jun 2017 15:56

Big_Blade wrote: 03 Jan 2017 05:40 Sorry to say but you are completely wrong here in Canada you have 53 ft traillers but here we can only pull 3 of those across Canada

another note USA allows 2 48ft trailers thats max yes there are some 25-28ft trailers that are pulled as triples in some states i live in Canada but you need to pay attention sir and do your homework and research

3rd note person driving the trailers in the youtube video has no clue and 2 100% a kid driving you can tell by how the truck steers and how trailers act. if you dont believe me try it on Farm Simulator 15 or 17 some time might due you some good for learning :P
You can only pull TWO 53' trailers, actually. Triple 53' trailers was on trial in Alberta between Calgary and Edmonton ONLY, and they were a very specific triple-B-train setup that was never legalized or approved anywhere else. And there are two major gaps in the Trans-Canada Highway where LCV's cannot be pulled. Highway 17 in Northern Ontario, as well as Highway 69 between Parry Sound and Sudbury, and Highway 1 between Calgary and Kamloops. And you must be specifically qualified to pull LCV's, not just any driver can do it. So your assertion that three 53' trailers can be pulled across Canada is completely false.

And the USA does NOT allow two 48' trailers. Turnpike doubles are known by that name for a REASON. They are only legal on very specific routes, same as LCV's in Canada. Turnpike doubles, which began as double 45' trailers before growing to double 48' trailers, are legal on the Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90) from Boston to the state line, where the New York State Thruway takes over. They continue to be legal across the Thruway, via I-90, along the Berkshire Connector to I-87, south to Yonkers and north to Albany, then back across I-90 through Syracuse and Buffalo to the state line. At this point, the sets must be broken as Pennsylvania does not allow turnpike doubles on I-90. Though I-190 through Buffalo is no longer part of the Thruway and I-290 never was, turnpike doubles are allowed by the state to proceed until the Grand Island toll booths, at which point they must exit the highway.

The gap started in Pennsylvania continues to west of Cleveland, Ohio, at which point the Ohio Turnpike switches from I-80 to I-90. Turnpike doubles are legal on the entire Ohio Turnpike (encompassing I-76 at the state line, picking up from the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the I-80 junction, I-80 to the I-90 junction after which they run concurrently), though they're uncommon there compared to triples (3 28' trailers), and this continues right through to the state line where it meets the Indiana Toll Road. Indiana allows turnpike doubles and triples from the Ohio Turnpike to continue on the Indiana Toll Road right through to the state line, at which point the sets must be broken because Illinois does not allow them.

From there, state to state continuity regarding turnpike doubles varies widely. Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri seem to have some sort of mini-network that allows them, with Oklahoma City acting as a hub and extensions along I-44 to Joplin and I-35 to Wichita and up to Kansas City, with Oklahoma allowing them on all interstates within their borders. North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana also have a network, encompassing I-29 from the Canadian border to Sioux City, I-94 from Fargo to Billings, I-90 from Billings to the Montana state line, I-15 from the Canadian border to the Montana state line, ans I-90 across South Dakota. Many of the surrounding states allow Rocky Mountain Doubles (RMD's, 48'+28') so the turnpike doubles aren't as common out there either. Colorado allows turnpike doubles on all interstates except I-70 between Denver and Glenwood Springs, though being confined on all sides by more restrictive states limits their use there as well. Florida, rather uniquely, allows 53' doubles on the Florida's Turnpike for it's entire length between I-75 and I-95, though they are not allowed onto either of the interstates and thus cannot leave the state.

In closing, you should probably do your homework before telling someone else to do their homework. The only double trailer configuration that is legal anywhere* in North America is 2 28' trailers with a dolly between them.

*Anywhere being anywhere a standard 53' trailer is legal. There are some roads that do not allow trailers over 48' or even 45', with signs that even warn RV's and campers as well as truckers away from using them. And obviously there are roads trucks are prohibited from using entirely.

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”