Edited map after map update.

natvander
SCS Software

Edited map after map update.

#1 Post by natvander » 24 Mar 2017 10:24

Seems a basic question so I must be using the wrong search terms.

If I edit the US (or Europe) map and the base map is later updated, what happens to my edits? To use a specific scenario, I edited road signs all across the US map (1.5). If I want to continue to use a map with these signs am I stuck with the 1.5 map or can these signs be transposed to map 1.6.

Note that when I say signs, I don't mean the physical model, but the sign placed on the map, text edited etc etc.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Flemming V
Global moderator

Re: Edited map after map update.

#2 Post by Flemming V » 24 Mar 2017 10:28

Whenever you edit a section on etc. SCS map and save this in a mod, this section will never be updated again, unless you update the section with what SCS has updated it with.
If I would take the Eiffle tower and place it in Paris, my Paris (or that section) will never see any new updates from SCS again. (Before I deactivate the mod)
Worst case, you took the whole map and saved it in a mod and not only your modified section, then you will never see any map updates from SCS, no matter which part they updated..
natvander
SCS Software

#3 Post by natvander » 24 Mar 2017 10:35

So if I place a sign on a section that SCS later updates, my edited map won't get that updated section? Another specific example - I place a sign and SCS later fixes a bit of scenery nearby. The only way to get the fixed scenery is to start afresh?
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#4 Post by Flemming V » 24 Mar 2017 10:40

Yes, AFAIK. But I think that you can copy your edits over and into the updated SCS version.
The game can only show one version of any map section, either yours or SCS section, and yours could pretty fast be outdated..
But I am not the greatest map modder, so if others can confirm what I say, I would be happy.
natvander
SCS Software

#5 Post by natvander » 24 Mar 2017 12:44

I would think that you could copy at least some edits across (there are more than one map mods that do update when the base is updated) but the how is beyond me.
Reinhard

#6 Post by Reinhard » 27 Mar 2017 16:29

The map is basically a big table of objects, nodes, and a plan where the nodes are located and what bearing each node has. Each modded sector stores what *you* told the game where things are. So a new, updated sector of the base will be naturally ousted by your mod.

The usual way to copy changes from a new update to an existing, already modded sector is - literately - to copy and paste objects. This can be done by loading the unmodded map into the editor, select something you want to transfer, copy it (CTRL-C), and leave the editor. Then start the editor again with your mod, go to the same location, paste (CTRL-V), and incorporate the changes.

If you do such copying regularly, you should develop a setup which enables you to you change modded vs. unmodded editor sessions quick. Hint: there is a "-pure" option which will bypass mod-loading.

Such copy-action can be easy. Or very, very difficult. Depends how severe the changes in the update are, and how extensive your previous modding changes were. Worst case are old sectors located next to new DLC content. These may have such gross changes that you decide to sacrifice all your previous moddings of such a sector, and do everything again, from scratch.

Modding a map and keep it alive through all the versions plus added new content from SCS is a long-term project, way beyond casual modding.

Return to “Help center - player to player”