Terrible performance inside cabin, single threaded on Ryzen

Geamandura

Terrible performance inside cabin, single threaded on Ryzen

#1 Post by Geamandura » 21 May 2017 16:10

On Ryzen 7 1800X + Radeon R9 390 I am getting pretty terrible performance in this scenario: on the truck that I have, I added 2 external mirrors. External camera, I get 50-70 FPS. Internal camera I get 20-30 depending on weather and location.

Everything is maxed out, resolution is 1200p, and setting scaling 100-200% only makes 5 FPS difference.

If I set mirror quality to low I only get 10 FPS increase, so maybe 35 FPS.

I had to go to truck dealer and remove those 2 external mirrors and framerate increased ~15 FPS. With that, and with mirror quality low I finally have 40-45 FPS inside the cabin.

This is pretty inacceptable performance on this kind of good hardware than can run any new demanding game on high to max settings. It seems be because it's very single threaded, I'm not always keeping an eye on it but at least this time when I ran the Open hardware monitor to check CPU+GPU usage.

I will attach a screenshot that shows the usage of CPU+GPU. My question is, does SCS have a plan for parallelizing their engine? It's not fair to have to buy an expensive Intel CPU overclocked to 5 GHz just for this game.

Yes, I do have the latest BIOS, drivers, Windows 10 performance power plan, etc. so I don't have any Ryzen launch-specific issues, every other game runs really, really well for me.

I have to mention that ETS 2 runs a bit better with everything maxed out (including mirrors), even in France DLC where the map graphics are more demanding. Somehow I am getting 10-20 FPS lower in ATS than ETS 2. Maybe there is some really wonky coding regarding the mirrors implementation.

(Edit: have to mention my ATS+ETS are full vanilla installs.)
Attachments
ats.jpg
ats.jpg (249.06 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Last edited by Geamandura on 21 May 2017 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
VolvoFHfan

Re: Terrible performance inside cabin, single threaded on Ry

#3 Post by VolvoFHfan » 22 May 2017 02:37

i am so glad that i went with i5 7600k instead of ryzen. feelsbadman
SabR

Re: Terrible performance inside cabin, single threaded on Ry

#4 Post by SabR » 22 May 2017 04:05

Time and again it has been said, the mirrors (rendering the world again; two additional mirrors, twice the hit) are the primary cause of performance loss in these games (ETS2 & ATS). SCS knows about it & hopefully, the work is in progress. Till a solution is out, remember, every additional mirror you put on your vehicle (HUD mirrors inclusive) would lower your performance further.

As to why your ETS2 experience is better than ATS? As I've experienced it, ATS cities are more detailed than their European counterparts. You also have a couple of hood mirrors on your ATS truck which, now as you know ..... In ETS2 you don't have these mirrors which explains the boost in the performance.

Lastly, please don't compare simulation games to other genres, on your machine & then come out all guns blazing. Simulation games are more taxing on the system compared to other genres. That being said, SCS are in the process of optimizing their codes (DX11 & possibly Vulkan W.I.P.).
JASMAZ77

Re: Terrible performance inside cabin, single threaded on Ryzen

#5 Post by JASMAZ77 » 01 Jul 2017 12:45

use intel chips insead of AMD that is your problem.

Return to “Technical Problems”