New here.

Speeno

Re: New here.

#11 Post by Speeno » 25 Feb 2017 00:24

Thank you for all of your feedback. I have been using a keyboard and a mac touchpad to steer, its not too bad. I will probably but a controller or wheel after I look through all your feedback again. One more question, I can't seem to find the keyboard button to look left and right out the cab window. A few fender benders have ensued! Thanks again for your help.
Cadde

Re: New here.

#12 Post by Cadde » 25 Feb 2017 09:37

The great thing about gamepads is they are inexpensive. Not all of them are durable though, so don't go looking for 3rd party/aftermarket stuff is my advice. Go for the stock gamepads for XBOX and Playstation.
I personally prefer the XBOX controller because it's beefier and has the controls in the right places for my hands.
You can probably find a used XBOX 360 controller for pennies online or even free if you have friends nearby. But even then, brand new they are practically nothing compared to a wheel. Hence, it really doesn't hurt to have one AND a wheel later.

Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have expensive stuff like the T500 RS (which is way better than the G29) and TH8A shifter which again, beats the logitech shifter by leaps and bounds.
There are plenty of threads on this very subject already and i've posted in many of those so i won't repeat myself here.

And finally, one device that many people "forget" to mention is head tracking. Such as the TrackIR.
When driving with a wheel, the TrackIR is a godsend as it bridges that final gap that otherwise bothers most players of the game. Namely looking around.
I'd say, it's almost impossible to look around while steering with a wheel and using a shifter for manual shifting. It ruins the experience something immense if you have to combat with the mouse just to look in the direction you want to.

But as a starter, i can wholeheartedly recommend you get a gamepad. It can be used for many different games, not just ETS/ATS.
Just like a wheel can be used in many different games of course. But a gamepad covers more ground and costs nothing basically.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”