1.6 Beta double clutch implementation.

natvander
SCS Software

1.6 Beta double clutch implementation.

#1 Post by natvander » 08 Mar 2017 11:09

I asked this elsewhere (in the 1.6 beta discussion) but it quickly got swallowed up in other posts so I though it best to give it it's own post.

How is double clutching implemented in game? Specifically, are you required to fully depress the clutch each time to make gear changes or can you depress the clutch halfway? I've tried halfway and have had no success. A 100% depression of the clutch sometimes works, but is not realistic and may lead to premature G27 wear and tear.

In reality, a truck with a non-synchro gearbox basically has a 3 stage clutch - friction, freeplay and clutch brake. When putting the truck into gear, you depress the clutch 100% to engage the clutch brake. In normal driving, this is the only time you fully engage the clutch. While driving, you only depress the clutch enough to remove the friction from the clutch plate - between 25% and 50% depression (varies between trucks and the age of the clutch). A full depression engages the clutch brake and causes premature wear. Freeplay sits beyond around 50% and is where you hold the clutch when stopped at lights to to keep the plates apart while not engaging the brake (if you don't take the truck out of gear).

A few videos for explanation:

This guy does a good job explaining it all (hauling a 3 trailer road train). He explains the clutch from around 1:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcn2s7oRM3k

Another good explanation from 1:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxdgp__GFZ8

This video does an ok job of explaining it, tho he gets freeplay and friction mixed up (mentioned in the video). Skip forward to 14:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzB9vZ71v08

The difference in clutch operation between a synchro and non synchro box is one reason why in Australia manufacturers like DAF offer European trucks with Eaton Fuller boxes (drivers used to driving with non-synchro boxes in Kenworths etc would destroy a synchro box if they didn't change their driving style. Rather than change their style, just give them what they're used to).
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
natvander
SCS Software

Re: 1.6 Beta double clutch implementation.

#2 Post by natvander » 09 Mar 2017 19:51

Before this post gets lost as well... anyone?
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
R0adrunner

#3 Post by R0adrunner » 09 Mar 2017 20:22

Interesting topic. Subscribing! :)
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page
-=Bora=-

#4 Post by -=Bora=- » 09 Mar 2017 21:11

Ha, things have gotten alot easier. When I had the pleasure of driving Fuller/RoadRanger gearboxes they didn't have clutch brakes, had to wait and slightly grind it to get in gear when you took off :)
Max
SCS Software

#5 Post by Max » 10 Mar 2017 08:26

its just basic simulation of unsynchronized gearbox. much like in V3S (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praga_V3S) - as those are only ones i could play and experiment with.
its extremely hard to find manual gearbox, and even more if it should be unsynchronized in europe these days. and yet more difficult is to persuade eventual owner to let me in and hurt the truck.
so i never seen truck with clutch brake and clutch construction you wrote. sorry.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
natvander
SCS Software

#6 Post by natvander » 10 Mar 2017 09:39

Thanks for your reply Max. The description I gave is for all Eaton Fuller manual gearboxes, so relates to all the manual boxes in ATS. If you haven't watched the videos I linked I really believe it would be very beneficial to do so.

But in a nutshell, is it possible for a gearbox's behaviour to change depending on whether synchronised is turned on or off, and if turned off can the game detect how far the clutch has been pressed? Apart from being unrealistic, double clutching by always applying 100% clutch is very difficult given the speed at which rpm drops and is a recipe to damage your pedals. It's far easier to just float the gears.

g_hshifter_synchronized 1 should require a full clutch depression

g_hshifter_synchronized 0 should require a full clutch depression only when shifting from neutral to a gear while stationary, and from 25% to below 100% for gear changes.
Max
SCS Software

#7 Post by Max » 10 Mar 2017 10:14

... and now it appears that instead of just skipping synchronization routine (which is function of g_hshift_synchronized 0) i had to make completely different clutch/transmission model .. :)
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
natvander
SCS Software

#8 Post by natvander » 10 Mar 2017 10:47

In the words of former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser - "Life wasn't meant to be easy" ;) We know you like a challenge.
jdkelley93

#9 Post by jdkelley93 » 10 Mar 2017 17:08

I have given up with trying to double clutch with `g_hshift_synchronized 0`. It seems nearly impossible. RPMs drop way too fast. I find it a lot easier to just float the gears.
Software dev by day, virtual trucker by night
EricF

#10 Post by EricF » 11 Mar 2017 12:37

Bora wrote:Ha, things have gotten alot easier. When I had the pleasure of driving Fuller/RoadRanger gearboxes they didn't have clutch brakes, had to wait and slightly grind it to get in gear when you took off :)
That happens when drivers push the clutch pedal all the way down, or at least too far, on shifts at road speed. It wears down/damages the clutch brake which is only meant for use to get into gear while at a standing stop.

Because clutches in heavy trucks last so long, company shops tend not to want to deal with abused clutch brakes until its time to do a complete clutch rebuild. So drivers get stuck with little or no clutch brake action until the truck is due to have a full teardown and replacement of the whole clutch. Owner-operators know how expensive a clutch job is, so they tend to take better care with the clutch brake to make it last!
System Specs for Beta and performance comparisons:
Ryzen 9 5900x - 32GB RAM - NVMe SSD - RTX2080 Super - 3440x1440 Ultrawide - TrackIR - T248 Wheel/Pedals

Return to “Gameplay Questions”