Traffic Signal Suggestions/Texas Stop Signs

bagnome

Traffic Signal Suggestions/Texas Stop Signs

#1 Post by bagnome » 07 Apr 2017 17:28

First and foremost, I'd like to make a suggestion for when SCS gets around to Texas. Like every state, it has quirks in its road system. So I would like to suggest the implementation of Texas Stop Signs. Every law abiding Texan knows that it is against the law to pass one and not stop at it first. Here is a picture of what one looks like: http://travellogs.us/2006Logs/New%20Mex ... Q_1836.jpg

APRIL FOOLS!!! Sort of, kind of... OK, I know it's a little late for this, but I couldn't help myself. Dairy Queen has the nickname of Texas Stop Signs in Texas

Anyway, about the traffic signals. I've been thinking. The game has a state for protected left turns, and a state for unprotected left turns. Why not put them together in the same cycle? They could make a doghouse light or the one with the flashing yellow left turn arrow, or both. It would give the intersections in the game a little bit of variety.

Also, this seems to be a Texas thing. Whenever I am traveling in Texas I notice that they use two red lights on their traffic signals. From what I've read, the second light on the head is just a backup in case the other goes out. This is to prevent a yellow trap and potentially dangerous confusion. This seems a little redundant as, by regulation, there has to be a minimum of two signals for each direction of traffic. But redundancy is not a bad thing. I think the two red lights on a signal is more for if there is only one signal for a turn lane. Then it becomes more important.

Just thoughts to bring a little more variety.

[ external image ]
Doghouse signal. A common cycle for this (and one that I prefer) is to give protected left to both sides of traffic, followed by an unprotected left for both sides. The signal here in the picture is giving a protected left while giving the same side right of way to go straight.

[ external image ]
This is the other variant. Does the same as doghouse and this one is using the cycle I mentioned above.

[ external image ]
Here is the two red light signal. While not everywhere in Texas, it is certainly not uncommon and if you travel through Texas, you will probably see one. Also sometimes they are also on the thru lights as well.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”