Going Owner-Operator

xDope

Re: Going Owner-Operator

#41 Post by xDope » 17 Mar 2017 15:10

Really nice shots!
If it is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
powerforward17

#42 Post by powerforward17 » 19 Mar 2017 19:22

Interesting story and sharp pictures. Looking forward to the next chapter.
andrei383

#43 Post by andrei383 » 14 May 2017 09:17

Hi all, with the Heavy Cargo DLC all over the ETS2 screenshot forum, I'd thought I'd give the ATS screen forum some love! :D Hope you enjoy!:

My stint with Brandon's company was cut a little short. Greta, the driver I temporarily replaced was back quicker than expected. After returning the truck, I decided against taking another temporary job and elected to wait for my truck's service to be done.

Three days into my little vacation, Julia, the dispatcher at HMS Machinery called. "Hey, you free today and tomorrow?" she asked, "I've got a load I need help with, harvester for Sunshine."

"Sure, just let me get a fifth wheel for my pickup," I quipped back. Julia started laughing. "Don't worry, I saw your Instagram post. Sorry about your truck by the way. But we'll use one of ours. It's a Kenny too, so you'll feel right at home." Bags packed and I was on my way to Richmond.

A couple hours later I was at HMS's dock in Richmond. This is where they would load and unload machines coming by ship. Pulling into the yard I spotted the load, a Case 9230, and the 8x4 T800 I would be driving in. If it wasn't for my own truck, it would've been love at first sight:
[ external image ]

The shop mechanics had already pre-checked the truck. Some seat and mirror adjustments later and I was hitching to the Case, fresh off the boat from Sorocaba, Brazil. I always thought they were still made in the US, but it seems Case had moved production beyond our borders:
[ external image ]

To my surprise, Julia came out of the head office, backpack in hand, clutching some paperwork. She opened the drivers door and tossed the bag into my lap. "Thanks for hooking up, now it's my turn."

"I'm not driving?" I asked as I moved to the passenger seat. "No, you're my trainer today!" she replied back over the hiss of the brakes releasing. Before I could fully understand what was happening, she was pulling onto the interstate. "Watch out! There's a cop watching us!"
[ external image ]

Over the relative calm of the Interstate, Julia explained what was going on: she had recently obtained her CDL and was immediately thrown into the deep end. The driver shortage really hit HMS hard: even their dispatchers need to drive. Luckily (or unluckily) for me, none of their drivers were available to train her today. "Watch your right mirror," I interrupted as the 9230 drifted closer to the rail.
[ external image ]

Most truckers, including myself would've started out hauling box trailers, or reefers if we could stand the noise. But Julia, CDL still fresh from the DOT, was now in control of an 8x4 T800 with 600 horses under the hood and an 18 speed box which even I struggle with sometimes. "Hit the Jakes earlier," I advised, "a load like this doesn't like to slow down." The truck shuddered as we pulled off I-5, Jake brakes roaring:
[ external image ]

A short while on the back country roads later we pulled into the receiver, Sunshine Crops in Huron. Having delivered here before, I knew the lot well. "Ok, take it wide, there's a deep ditch on the right.":
[ external image ]

"Alright, just park it in front of the office" I gestured to the space in front of the building. With the pop of the parking brakes I looked over to Julia, a proud grin on her face. "Congrats, you just finished your first heavy haul!"

"Second." she slyly corrected, proudly signing the bill of lading:
[ external image ]
Last edited by andrei383 on 14 Jul 2017 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
cold3000

#44 Post by cold3000 » 14 May 2017 12:42

cool 8-)
andrei383

#45 Post by andrei383 » 19 May 2017 14:02

Thanks! :D

Thankfully for me, Julia ended up being a natural driver. Of course, having come from a family of truckers, she had it in her blood. I helped her with a few more loads, running farm equipment back and forth between HMS and their customers. I, on the other hand, was getting increasingly more excited as the ETA of my truck got closer.

At last, the day came. I received an email from Kenworth LA, as I originally did months ago. I made my way to LA with what turned out to be a slightly costly Uber ride. It really didn't cross my mind, I was too excited about the truck.

At the dealer, I eyed my upgraded truck in the lot. It was a lot taller with the new aero-kit and it had this sweet new bumper, a last minute design switch I called after I had dropped off the truck. There was even an entire new set of complementary wheel nuts. Of course, the main attraction couldn't be seen, the brand new 7-speed Allison, hopefully without the defects the 6-speed had:
[ external image ]

The next day, after bringing back the truck my Bakersfield garage, I browsed through the TruckLOAD app, spotting what was to be the first load in my upgraded truck. I tapped on, and confirmed the load of ice cream headed for Ely, Nevada. With my stuff packed safely in the truck, I headed for the Bakersfield Rail Export terminal to pick up the load.

Once there, I spotted the trailer. Now this trailer was an old, maybe late 80's, early 90's Utility 2000R reefer. Somehow, it stayed through the ranks of John Christner Trucking's fleet. Even more surprising was how clean and intact it was. Now this was a company that took care of its fleet. With the trailer hooked and slowly being pulled out of the lot, I felt the additional responsibility of keeping the trailer in top shape:
[ external image ]

Rolling through the traffic of Fresno, I spotted a yellow Pete coming up the hammer lane. I watched as he rolled past, the yellow followed by the bright red of the AutoZone logo. Of course I had to get on the CB: "Hey AutoZone, you on the net?"

"10-4," the voice resonated in my cab with a strong Southern twang.

"That's a beautiful truck, driver!"
[ external image ]

His Jake brakes kicked in as we pulled up to a traffic light. "Thank you kindly," he responded.
[ external image ]

The drive out of Fresno was really beautiful. Hauling OTR, I rarely drove the smaller regional roads. I was usually on the Interstates hauling from industrial center to industrial center. Now I was surrounded by beautiful scenery rolling by. Unfortunately for the cars behind me, it was rolling by at 55, state-wide truck speed limit:
[ external image ]

The trees turned to rocks as I pulled further out of Fresno. The temperature rose steadily as the desert opened up. I could hear the reefer behind my cab work harder and harder, keeping the ice cream from becoming a melted mess. In front of me, the cooling fan under the hood roared. I turned up the radio volume and tackled the switchbacks of the east California desert.
[ external image ]

The switchbacks eventually straightened out into the straight-as-an-arrow roads of US-395. In front of me, miles of undeviating asphalt. In my mirrors, the same. I switched my playlist over to some hard rock, in an attempt to keep me awake.
[ external image ]

There was quite the number of trucks running the 395 today. With that was a lot of CB radio chatter. Usually I would take part, but this time I turned the CB down, enjoying the beautiful scenery of the Sierra Nevada mountain range in the relative quiet of the road passing beneath me.
[ external image ]

At Bishop, CA, I switched from 395 over to US-6 and continued my way to Nevada. Continuing past Benton, I was finally greeted by a small sign and the voice on my GPS: "Crossing border. Entering Nevada."
[ external image ]
Last edited by andrei383 on 14 Jul 2017 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Blackspots

#46 Post by Blackspots » 19 May 2017 16:42

Definitely liking this series.
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
Hakan

Going Owner-Operator

#47 Post by Hakan » 22 May 2017 16:01

^^
andrei383

#48 Post by andrei383 » 24 May 2017 20:29

Thank you both! :mrgreen:

Running US-6, although surrounded by beautiful desert scenery, is an incredibly lonely experience. Traffic thins out and soon your only human contact is the occasional car or truck that passes on oncoming lanes. As the 6 merged with US-95 I started seeing more signs of life. Finally I saw Tonopah on the horizon. I ran through the town of about 2,700 people, wondering how anyone can live out here:
[ external image ]

Driving down the 6 again I saw an unfamiliar vehicle on oncoming. As it passed, I saw it was one of the new Freightliner Cascadias. No company colors, probably a new owner-operator such as myself. Although passing it at a combined speed of 130 mph, I was still able to make out some of its features. From that quick assessment I knew it was not a truck for me. I was a bit old-school after all. My bank account would probably have a different opinion though:
[ external image ]

As I edged closer to Ely, I was growing ever conscious of my driving hours ticking away. My e-log began flashing a warning, the sunlight was fading, and with the cooling temperatures the old reefer unit was beginning to relax a bit. I had hoped to complete the load in one shot, and it seemed to be just in my grasp. At every possibility on a downhill, I let the truck coast above its 65 limiter, hoping not to meet a cop, or worse, a DOT officer on the side.
[ external image ]

The sun had set when I finally made it into Ely, the sky just barely lit from the last of the sun's rays. About half the size of Tonopah but with twice the population it felt a lot more lively as a town, but I still questioned why anyone would live out here. I rushed through "downtown" Ely, mindful of the minutes I had left on my clock.
[ external image ]

At last I pulled into the supermarket's loading dock. The only loading door was occupied with a trailer with no other truck to be seen. I hastily parked my load next to it and quickly set my e-log to "on-duty," saving as many precious driving minutes as I could. Thankfully a 24 hour store, I went in to speak with the manager.

"Oh, the other trailer is already empty. Can you move it and bring yours in? I want to get my guys unloading it right away," the manager motioned to two young men, probably teenagers working their first ever job. I saw the look of contempt in their faces. Having myself experienced the "joy" of working night shift, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

"Sorry, sir, but I'm out of driving hours today. I've got just enough to get to the rest stop down the road." He looked disappointed. "I can do it first thing tomorrow, but I have to remain hooked to the trailer." The manager contemplated a bit and relented.

"Alright," he muttered. I was glad to have solved the problem of parking, and getting fresh groceries. As I stood at checkout waiting for my items to be scanned, I noticed one of the young workers, who gave a slight smile. Of course I smiled back, much to the confusion of the cashier, who thought I was crazy.
[ external image ]
Last edited by andrei383 on 14 Jul 2017 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
BK Vissers

#49 Post by BK Vissers » 25 May 2017 02:31

Outstanding write-up! Your pictures are also really well done!
Hakan

Going Owner-Operator

#50 Post by Hakan » 30 May 2017 14:46

^^

Return to “Game”