A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Rafael

Axel Slingerland

Re: A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Raf

#11 Post by Axel Slingerland » 23 May 2017 06:59

natvander wrote:Apparently the Mountain Ash (eucalyptus regnans) can and has grown taller than Redwoods with an unconfirmed tree measuring 132.6m - it was measured on the ground after being cut down! They occasionally lose their crown which obviously drops their height.
The key words there are "unconfirmed" and "cut down". As far as confirmed tree height goes, dead trees don't count, only standing live ones do. However, now days the people who measure these trees in the US now refuse to say where they are, specifically how tall they are or release any specific information about them, because people go to see them and end up damaging them in the process. The age old "love it to death" thing that is destroying many of our National and State Parks here. So as far as how tall "The" tallest tree is... Who knows?

We have a species of Eucalyptus here too, but unlike the Redwoods, they're not native to California. (Well, two of three species are native to California, one is from China.) I bet you can guess where they came from... [ external image ]
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
natvander
SCS Software

#12 Post by natvander » 23 May 2017 07:34

We have sent a few species to the US - I believe the eucalypts in California were originally planted to stop soil erosion on cleared hillsides. I know fire services had to change tactics when they caught fire. Melaleucas were planted in the swamps of Florida to help remove water but they quickly became a noxious pest.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Axel Slingerland

#13 Post by Axel Slingerland » 23 May 2017 07:58

The ones here supposedly came from Australia, via Europe. They were brought here after loggers all but depleted native hardwoods. In fact, remember that image that I posted of the redwood range? That was the original redwood range circa somewhere around 1800, currently it's much smaller. According to the Save The Redwoods League, there are 5% of old-growth redwood forests left.
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
saur44l

#14 Post by saur44l » 23 May 2017 15:03

natvander wrote:Originally I wasn't sure if it should be released and if so, how (the whole CA/NV/AZ map has been altered somewhat) so I thought I'd just post a video. The screenshots appeared because it's easier than doing a video. If someone wants it I'll send it but I certainly can't say it's compatible with other map mods.
Whatever you decide it will be fine,it is your work after all :mrgreen: ............I kinda understand why some people are reluctant to share their work with the public,as soon it goes live there will be fans who will start demanding or asking for this or that,and what was once a pleasant hobby can quickly turn into headache. :mrgreen:
natvander
SCS Software

Re: A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Rafael

#15 Post by natvander » 18 Jun 2017 11:56

Definitely NOT near the coast - last pic should give away the location.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hakan

A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Rafael

#16 Post by Hakan » 26 Jun 2017 23:52

great shots!

Return to “Game”