A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Rafael

natvander
SCS Software

A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Rafael

#1 Post by natvander » 17 May 2017 22:36

A short-ish video of a little something I've been playing with. I've for some time felt that US101 between Eureka and San Rafael could do with a bit of work as it doesn't really represent what Google Maps/Earth/Street View shows. Note that it's far from complete and there's numerous areas that still need polish, but I thought I'd put this up and see if I get any comments.

Please excuse the slightly jerky video in Eureka - I use TrackIR and I was talking to my son about his homework at the same time (me = multitasker!)

Eureka - San Rafael Updated 20/05
Last edited by natvander on 20 May 2017 00:23, edited 5 times in total.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BK Vissers

Re: A little something I've been working on. Eureka-San Raf

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 18 May 2017 03:07

That was interesting. Now I have to take my truck there and do the same route to pay attention to your changes.
saur44l

#3 Post by saur44l » 18 May 2017 15:58

I realy like what you have done with this section of the map.I do hope that in future when this mod is ready it will be available for the public.........once again,great work mate.
natvander
SCS Software

#4 Post by natvander » 20 May 2017 00:23

Thanks for the comments guys.

Update - added Hopland, changes to the highway between Ukiah and Leggett and between Leggett and Eureka. It's quite hard to do this route justice at 1:20 from what I've seen on videos and Google Maps. Original link.

Note that I'm trying to give the driver a feeling of the more iconic parts of the route in a very condensed area, while not going overboard.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
natvander
SCS Software

#5 Post by natvander » 22 May 2017 09:51

BK Vissers

#6 Post by BK Vissers » 22 May 2017 11:24

Aside from the fact that your screenshots are fabulous and merit a thread of their own, ;) that is a very interesting looking bit of road. No doubt a lot of work to make look this good!
saur44l

#7 Post by saur44l » 22 May 2017 15:35

Like @Bk Vissers said,the screenshots are fabulous........just a suggestion,why don't you post in the mod/maps section of this forum,I am sure more people will get familiar with your stunning work on the map.
natvander
SCS Software

#8 Post by natvander » 22 May 2017 22:35

Originally I wasn't sure if it should be released and if so, how (the whole CA/NV/AZ map has been altered somewhat) so I thought I'd just post a video. The screenshots appeared because it's easier than doing a video. If someone wants it I'll send it but I certainly can't say it's compatible with other map mods.
Axel Slingerland

#9 Post by Axel Slingerland » 23 May 2017 03:01

natvander wrote:It's quite hard to do this route justice at 1:20 from what I've seen on videos and Google Maps.
It's impossible without any Redwood tree models... But if you know Blender, you might be able to make some. There are a few tree models in ETS2 that look similar to a Redwood. But the problem is they just aren't BIG enough. You would have to make them several times larger at the base, and easily 10 to 15 times taller. Here's a good example of what typical Redwoods look like.

[ external image ]
Click the Pic

Notice the difference between the height of the trees to that of the cars and RV's. About 40 miles south of Eureka (this photo was taken about 100 miles north of Eureka) in Humboldt Redwoods State Park is the tallest tree in the world, which is just shy of 380 feet tall. All of the top ten tallest trees in the world are in this park.

To be honest, I don't know if Blender can make a model big enough, or that if it can, if the game can display enough of them to make it look realistic. Or even close... But without Redwoods any rendering of the north coast of California will never look right to me. Not that I'll ever see it, as I don't have ATS. But that's beside the point...

By the way, a couple of your images are right on the money, as far as the layout of the road goes. These two particularly so.

http://i.imgur.com/VGXSbgt.png
http://i.imgur.com/6Xbruij.png

And I know. As a Eureka Resident for over 20 years (25 if you count time I called it home, but was on the road all the time), and someone who has traveled back and forth over this particular stretch of road hundreds of times (and several by bicycle as it's my favorite biking road), I know it really well. I live 8 miles from the US101 and California SR 299 interchange in Arcata. Throw in some farms around the south side and a bunch of houses on the north and you have this interchange nailed. Ya done good, Mate!
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers
natvander
SCS Software

#10 Post by natvander » 23 May 2017 03:42

Thanks Axel. Yeah nether the Spruce or Pine models come close to Redwoods - although species wise the cypress model should be the most fitting :D. In some areas I've tried to compensate by having the largest trees I can get as close to the roads as I can. Also done something similar to CA299 between Eureka and Redding.

A bit of trivia - there's some conjecture globally about tallest trees. Apparently the Mountain Ash (eucalyptus regnans) can and has grown taller than Redwoods with an unconfirmed tree measuring 132.6m - it was measured on the ground after being cut down! They occasionally lose their crown which obviously drops their height.

Return to “Game”