Container trailer design flaw [NOT A BUG]

Cyrus Ramsey

Container trailer design flaw [NOT A BUG]

#1 Post by Cyrus Ramsey » 07 May 2017 11:18

Greetings,

40' containers in reality have a hollow space at the underside where the gooseneck of the trailer fits into, so the underside of the container and the underside of the gooseneck are at the same height. SCS has apparently not thought about this, because in the game the container is positioned too high. You can still see the gooseneck and you can look through between trailer and container.

See the images for a comparison between the SCS trailer (wrong) and Stanley's trailer (right).

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Game version: 1.27.1.7s, 64 bit

Cheers

C.
I hope to play Australian Truck Simulator with Kenworth K200 one day.
My 10-speed gearbox settings
»You appear to be in one piece. I don’t think you’re in danger of becoming the next Cyrus Ramsey.« (Dr. Phlox, Star Trek: Enterprise)
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Container trailer design flaw

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 07 May 2017 12:10

this is not a bug

this trailers are not real, yes they are based off of real trailer but dont represent them and this trailer is so since game release
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
natvander
SCS Software

#3 Post by natvander » 07 May 2017 12:28

All containers have a flat floor - there is no hollow space for the gooseneck to fit. That would compromise cargo space, affect pallet loading etc etc etc (cargo space = $$). The trailer in game is correct for that variant - the rear of the container is slightly elevated on stands. There are also trailers that are completely flat.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cyrus Ramsey

#4 Post by Cyrus Ramsey » 07 May 2017 13:38

Hi natvander,

see the gooseneck tunnel here (photos): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freight_c ... escription

Cheers

C.
natvander
SCS Software

#5 Post by natvander » 07 May 2017 13:46

There ya go - never seen that, and I've been in alot of containers.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JESAN

#6 Post by JESAN » 07 May 2017 16:37

Old container variant, before tractors and trailers were lowered (air suspension), making the tunnel obsolete.
Cyrus Ramsey

Re: Container trailer design flaw [NOT A BUG]

#7 Post by Cyrus Ramsey » 09 May 2017 18:05

Feel free to move this thread if it belongs somewhere else.

I just wanted to point out the difference between ETS2 and my real life observations.

Here is another image, showing 4 photos from 2017 and one from ETS2 for comparison:

[ external image ]

I also noticed that the SCS containers have doors on both sides. That doesn't match reality either (see the two images in my first post).

I like ETS and it is my hope that this part of the simulation gets improved too in future updates.

Cheers

C.
xXCARL1992Xx

#8 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 09 May 2017 18:16

just because you made the pictures in 2017 doesn't mean the containers are older then the newer ones without the tunnel

and double doors exist too, you can even buy them with doors on the side of the container
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Cyrus Ramsey

#9 Post by Cyrus Ramsey » 09 May 2017 18:40

Hi Carl,

thank you for the explanation.

Cheers

C.
Reinhard

#10 Post by Reinhard » 09 May 2017 19:33

CARL1992 wrote: and double doors exist too, you can even buy them with doors on the side of the container
Yes. But it is something rare, not the absolute norm, like now in the game. Same with 30 feet containers, even more. These are really hard to spot in the real-world. Myself I never saw one, and the very existence would have surprised me before I googled it.

The gooseneck plus the containers would really benefit from a facelift, or could maybe get a more modern-looking variation added. Including more colors, and some container-like labeling. You know, containers usually have lots of numbers and letters painted on. These are easy to mimic.

Return to “Bugs 1.27”