#7722 Post by davidzoli » 27 Sep 2016 06:46

One week left :D

[ external image ]
Original date: 19 September at 19:55
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: SCS Blog discussion

#7723 Post by Mohegan13 » 27 Sep 2016 08:10

Well you know what they say, if there's nothing on the blog yet it probably means there's nothing to say. :P

France? Who cares about France any more, tell me about Latvia. :lol:
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
davidzoli

#7725 Post by davidzoli » 27 Sep 2016 08:22

That is in 2019 maybe :D
Jarrad

#7726 Post by Jarrad » 27 Sep 2016 08:40

natvander wrote:For what we do, the Scania is great (apart from the turbo lag). Have no problem getting it up to the limiter in a short time. And given that we're a government department, I'm hardly in a position to be asking for a different brand - we're lucky we get Scania ;). The predecessor was (is - they're still in service) gutless - locally built custom truck with the smallest engine they could get away with, and very awful suspension that made you sick.
Don't hate on the ACCO now, they can survive an apocolypse :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#7728 Post by Mohegan13 » 27 Sep 2016 09:30

I wish there were secret meanings to their words. "getting inspirations" meaning the Freightliner inspiration. :lol:

One can dream.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
davidzoli

#7729 Post by davidzoli » 27 Sep 2016 09:39

Great photos!

I've decided I will go to the next IAA... In 2018 :(

Let's make a community trip there! We have enough time to organize that :D
natvander
SCS Software

#7730 Post by natvander » 27 Sep 2016 09:51

Jarrad wrote:
natvander wrote:For what we do, the Scania is great (apart from the turbo lag). Have no problem getting it up to the limiter in a short time. And given that we're a government department, I'm hardly in a position to be asking for a different brand - we're lucky we get Scania ;). The predecessor was (is - they're still in service) gutless - locally built custom truck with the smallest engine they could get away with, and very awful suspension that made you sick.
Don't hate on the ACCO now, they can survive an apocolypse :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wasn't actually referring to the ACCO, but the trucks that appeared between the ACCO and Scania. Austral-Denning and (after they went belly up) Varley made the Firepac in two series (2 door and later 4 door). While the concept was sound, the implementation was far from it. Either they put in the smallest engine they could get away with or the engines were hamstrung, the two door version had the smallest cab that had 3 using a single door, every plastic panel in the cab vibrated, storage in the back remained in the 1970s and we banned the use of the rescue pumper series when they came out because they located the rear air bags in the wrong place, which saw the truck rock and roll like a ship in a serious storm (the mechanics didn't believe us until one finally showed up to my station and I took him for a drive - didn't even drive 500m before he told me to go back). Perth had a single Firepac as a rescue appliance.

Where the ACCOs lacked in performance, they made up for in character. The V8 petrols (the most numerous in service) could get moving after a bit of coaxing but certainly sounded great. Unfortunately they found that CO was building up in the rear cab! The diesels were a mixed bag - the pumpers sounded better than the petrols and had plenty of grunt, but the rescues... Again had plenty of character, but had the habit of shuddering at anything over 80 (enough that we had to hold down our right leg on the accelerator to stop it from shaking), leaked air like a sieve and slow off the mark. They certainly had more character than the Isuzu's that replaced them, but the Isuzu's are far better performers.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”