Forum Wishlists & Suggestions

BlackBloodRum

Re: Forum Wishlists & Suggestions

#91 Post by BlackBloodRum » 13 Sep 2016 18:40

Does anyone have the Service Manual for Cadde :?

I think she's broken again :lol:
Open Modder - Making mods for the fun of modding, without locking them or trying to make a profit. The way modding should be.

World of Trucks | Screenshots | ATS Mods | ETS2 Mods | Gitlab Repositories
Centrino2

#92 Post by Centrino2 » 13 Sep 2016 18:58

Oh no, he is working perfectly fine, over the top explanations are just the usual side affect when taking Cadde's knowledge elixirs .
Wolfi
Beta tester

#93 Post by Wolfi » 13 Sep 2016 19:00

I still think that he should be reported for hexadruple (?) posting :P
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
jarvik79

#94 Post by jarvik79 » 13 Sep 2016 19:17

GT-Mike wrote:hexadruple (?)
Sextuple :)

(No, really. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sextuple)
Wolfi
Beta tester

#95 Post by Wolfi » 13 Sep 2016 19:19

thanks ;)

I'll leave mine in because it sounds more kids-friendly :lol:
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
BlackBloodRum

#96 Post by BlackBloodRum » 13 Sep 2016 19:23

Reported!
Open Modder - Making mods for the fun of modding, without locking them or trying to make a profit. The way modding should be.

Magnum-driver

#97 Post by Magnum-driver » 14 Sep 2016 07:13

Cadde wrote:1) Quoting a message that is in the post directly above means you basically repeat that post for no good reason.
Cadde wrote:As i said, if it's not clear who you are responding to then use his name. There's absolutely no valid point in quoting an entire message if you are responding to someone.
Simply copy his name, put an "@" sign and paste the name.
You are totally ignoring the points of readability and conversation-friendliness. Having replies addressing which poster and what post they are replying too makes it a lot easier to follow and read the conversations, and that's here the quote-function comes in. One button click, and one do not have to bother with writing @Someonew1ithanextremelylongAnddiffIcl_lltusernalvle, and in addition one get rid of the confusion about the reply are replying too. Those who are replying to the last post and plans to reply the whole post are with the current rule not allowed to address what and who they are replying in as easy way as everyone else.

Cadde wrote:2) Quoting a quote in a quote (pyramid quoting) means you are repeating what has already been repeated. There, it becomes even more essential to ONLY do it if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to do so. And that only really applies to very old posts from a few pages back.
I have never supported big pyramids, neither in numbers of quotes insides each other, nor in the size of the quoted posts.

Cadde wrote:On top of that, because of the way the forum software works, if people search for "Lorem ipsum", this particular thread will come first in the results even if there's a thread that actually has a more valid and flavored discussion about Lorem ipsum texts.
That's how it is with every term, you will find this used more in posts outside of threads that spesificly is about the given term. Which is the reason everyone should learn to use the search function for finding a subject by picking the search options "Search within: (*)First post of topics only" and "Display results as: (*)Topics".

We have a term in Norwegian saying "statuere eit døme", which is exactly what you have been doing here. I could not find a similar term in English, but I will anyway try to describe this. In order to counter me with your points, you have overblown and over-exaggerated your examples in order to point out how you are right and I am wrong, and done so to illustrate why we have the rules about quoting. You makes it looks like I support spam and nonsense by repeatedly posting the Latin phase Lorem ipsum, and you even choose to violate rule 2.6 for doing this:
[2.6] Do NOT double post, if you have made a post already and yours is still the last in that thread then edit your previous post. (Exemptions of this rule include your own mod release threads, your own W.I.P. mod threads and your own media threads whether screenshots or videos, they still apply however if you are replying to someone elses mod, w.i.p. or media threads)
Making a statuette (keeping yourself to one single post) for explaining and countering me would be enough, but you rather choose to blow it making the forum's biggest statue making a big shadow over this thread and rule 2.6 for exemplifying your point, hence the Norwegian term "statuere eit døme".
This is not a signature.
Cadde

#98 Post by Cadde » 14 Sep 2016 08:24

Magnum-driver wrote:You are totally ignoring the points of readability and conversation-friendliness.
Not at all. I am wholeheartedly disagreeing. Quite a big difference to be honest.
But as i have already shown in my examples, quoting doesn't mean you have to quote the whole post. Nor do you have to quote the post directly above unless you are responding to one particular part of it. Which i am doing here.
Magnum-driver wrote:That's how it is with every term
Yes, but quoting something several times over gives one thread prevalence over another that doesn't have the term that frequently quoted. No matter what search options you use.
Especially in google results. Which to be honest is the preferred method of searching these forums because the forum search (which is no fault of SCS Software) is horrible at best.
In order to counter me with your points, you have overblown and over-exaggerated your examples
You call it overblown. I call it realistic. You would understand if you had been around the forums before excessive quoting was dealt with.
Again, just because YOU don't do it doesn't mean others aren't doing it. And it's the others that need to pay attention to the rule in the first place.
Your method of quoting is perfectly fine. You are simply reacting to a rule that doesn't even affect your method in the first place.
in order to point out how you are right and I am wrong
Not at all. I am merely giving you a visual example of what the forums would look like in thread after thread if we didn't actually clean up and enforce the rule.
There is no right and wrong here. There's only "we agree" and "we disagree" and in this case i disagree with you. As i said, i don't expect you to agree with me or the other moderators. But we do expect you to follow the rules.
It's perfectly alright to discuss the current rules and i do encourage it. But at no point does me, or any other moderator, disagreeing with you mean either side is "right" or "wrong". This isn't science. These are the rules we have set for the forum and we welcome discussion on the matter.
You makes it looks like I support spam and nonsense
That's not at all the intent of using Lorem ipsum. The intent was to fill out the post with content to show how quoting a medium/big/huge post really does nothing to add to the readability of a thread.
and you even choose to violate rule 2.6 for doing this
Of course i did. And if other moderators think i am out of line for doing so then i expect them to moderate the thread. I also expect other users to actually complain about it if they think i am out of line for doing so.
As far as i am concerned, no-one aside from you have actually complained about it. But people have jokingly reported it and another moderator has closed that report without action nor mention.
So with that track record in mind, i don't see how i have done anything wrong in this instance as it's been a necessary violation to provide an actual example of what the forums USED to look like once upon a time.
I am sure you can find an old thread that hasn't been cleaned yet where certain users used the quote button in place of the reply button in every post they made, no matter how big the post they responded to was. And no, they did not bother to edit the quotes. Hence the rule.

Either way, i can easily fix it if it bothers you that much. In fact, i will do just that! ;)

EDIT: All double posting has been fixed. :)
On extended hiatus.
BlackBloodRum

#99 Post by BlackBloodRum » 14 Sep 2016 08:30

LOL :lol:

Nice job editing the posters!

That's so cheating tho!

ksicht

#100 Post by ksicht » 14 Sep 2016 08:33

OK lads, I'll give one more exchange.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”