Forum Wishlists & Suggestions

SiSL
SCS Software

Re: Forum Wishlists & Suggestions

#81 Post by SiSL » 09 Jul 2016 16:47

Yes, exactly...

I type an appriciation post to a mod or screenshot thread, forever it is top of my list if it is popular...

Also opt-in to select forums to be in "active topics" to your view would be nice... I really want to see new posts / bug reports etc. but no interest in screenshots for example. And there is serious people who posts on every screenshot thread when they login...
FatLizard

#82 Post by FatLizard » 09 Jul 2016 17:33

MinecraftMarioGuy53 wrote:FatLizard, there is already an option for that in 'User Control Panel, Board preferences, Pop up window on new private message'. ;)
Thanks but ... maybe I wrote my wish in a incorrect form ...
I knew about that option in Board Preferences but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's set to "No" by default and, in my opinion, there are many users ignoring that
possibility to turn it on with "Yes" (me too ... I discovered it just some time ago ... after loosing a couple of dated PMs ... :( ).

;)
R0adrunner

#83 Post by R0adrunner » 21 Aug 2016 09:14

I wont make a wishlist, but if you ever consider some options for new functonalities/platform/<insert correct term here>, please take a thorough look at RaceDepartment's forum. It's a true pleasure to use.
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page
Magnum-driver

#84 Post by Magnum-driver » 13 Sep 2016 12:38

This post is about the following forum rule:

Subject: FORUM RULES
ohaha wrote:Forum Rules
(...)
[2] Using the forum, making threads and posting rules.
(...)
  • [2.4] Do NOT use excessive quoting. Only quote the message you are replying to and NEVER quote the message directly above yours unless you only quote a part of it. DO NOT MAKE PYRAMID QUOTES UNLESS IT IS NECESSARY. *
(...)

* - Example:
This is an
example of
a pyramid quote.
Avoid these unless strictly necessary to understand your reply.

If you are replying to the message directly above yours then use the reply button and write your reply.
You don't need to quote a message unless you are replying to a specific part of a long message. (Strip out the parts you aren't replying to.)
Use the name of the poster you are replying to instead.
May I ask for the reason for such restrictions of quoting? I do myself mind it more natural to quote the one I am replying to because that makes it easier for everyone to see who I am replying to, and small pyramids makes it easier to follow on a on-topic conversation. I would even quote if I was replying to the last post. And I would only edit the quote if either it's only a specific part I am replying to, or the quoted post is that big that it needed to be cut in order to fit in a nice, discrete quote.
This is not a signature.
Cadde

#85 Post by Cadde » 13 Sep 2016 13:37

Because...

1) Quoting a message that is in the post directly above means you basically repeat that post for no good reason. If you edit the quote to the one essential part of what you are replying to then all is good.
2) Quoting a quote in a quote (pyramid quoting) means you are repeating what has already been repeated. There, it becomes even more essential to ONLY do it if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to do so. And that only really applies to very old posts from a few pages back.
3) People who quote messages (keeping points 1 and 2 in mind) rarely take the necessary steps to avoid quoting needlessly. Using the quote button rather than the reply button.
If people would be mindful of what they quote then this wouldn't even need to be in the rules. But time has shown (though it's been rigorously cleaned out by now so any examples have simply vanished, for your own benefit i might add) that your average user doesn't do this.

Filler text to make the point clear...
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
On extended hiatus.
ohaha

#86 Post by ohaha » 13 Sep 2016 13:42

Cadde wrote:Because...

1) Quoting a message that is in the post directly above means you basically repeat that post for no good reason. If you edit the quote to the one essential part of what you are replying to then all is good.
2) Quoting a quote in a quote (pyramid quoting) means you are repeating what has already been repeated. There, it becomes even more essential to ONLY do it if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to do so. And that only really applies to very old posts from a few pages back.
3) People who quote messages (keeping points 1 and 2 in mind) rarely take the necessary steps to avoid quoting needlessly. Using the quote button rather than the reply button.
If people would be mindful of what they quote then this wouldn't even need to be in the rules. But time has shown (though it's been rigorously cleaned out by now so any examples have simply vanished, for your own benefit i might add) that your average user doesn't do this.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Let's talk about the post directly above... Well, i quoted it so you won't have to scroll up. Ain't i being the nicest person?
But... It now means that anyone else who actually read the previous post in this thread now sees an identical copy of it in the quote for no good reason whatsoever. It also means more scrolling past duplicated nonsense.

On top of that, because of the way the forum software works, if people search for "Lorem ipsum", this particular thread will come first in the results even if there's a thread that actually has a more valid and flavored discussion about Lorem ipsum texts.
Every quote of something makes a duplicate which makes the thread more relevant in search results... Heck, even in google's search engine it will come up on top over better discussions.
Retired, but still loving it.
Reef

#87 Post by Reef » 13 Sep 2016 13:47

ohaha wrote:

In this post, let's talk about the post directly above... Well, i quoted it so you won't have to scroll up. Ain't i being the nicest person?
But... It now means that anyone else who actually read the previous post in this thread now sees an identical copy of it in the quote for no good reason whatsoever. It also means more scrolling past duplicated nonsense.

On top of that, because of the way the forum software works, if people search for "Lorem ipsum", this particular thread will come first in the results even if there's a thread that actually has a more valid and flavored discussion about Lorem ipsum texts.
Every quote of something makes a duplicate which makes the thread more relevant in search results... Heck, even in google's search engine it will come up on top over better discussions.
So now we get to point 2, as you can see... There's 4 parts quoted text in this post and only 1 part new content. WHY?
Even if all that discussion took place one or two pages back, if you wanted to know what i was talking about you could read the thread from the beginning of the discussion on the subject.
IMHO, that's much better than having pyramid quotes which just means people will have to scroll past duplicate junk in every other post because people are too lazy to just select some text and press the delete key in a quote since they aren't going to reply word for word anyways.

But let's make things even worse...

I think point 1 is good enough. No need to quote the message directly above. If it's unclear in your post who you are responding to then use the person's name instead?
@Cadde
Flemming V
Global moderator

#88 Post by Flemming V » 13 Sep 2016 13:48

Reef wrote:
ohaha wrote:

In this post, let's talk about the post directly above... Well, i quoted it so you won't have to scroll up. Ain't i being the nicest person?

So now we get to point 2, as you can see... There's 4 parts quoted text in this post and only 1 part new content. WHY?
Even if all that discussion took place one or two pages back, if you wanted to know what i was talking about you could read the thread from the beginning of the discussion on the subject.
IMHO, that's much better than having pyramid quotes which just means people will have to scroll past duplicate junk in every other post because people are too lazy to just select some text and press the delete key in a quote since they aren't going to reply word for word anyways.

I think point 1 is good enough. No need to quote the message directly above. If it's unclear in your post who you are responding to then use the person's name instead?
@Cadde
+1, i agree with everything said and not said so far!
Centrino2

#89 Post by Centrino2 » 13 Sep 2016 13:49

Reef wrote:
ohaha wrote:

@Cadde
On point 3, why should i have to alter the text in the quoted message? If you don't like reading quotes then simply don't read the quotes? Read the message instead?
Bla bla bla Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Cadde

#90 Post by Cadde » 13 Sep 2016 13:57

Magnum-driver wrote:... May I ask for the reason for such restrictions of quoting?
There you have it. If you don't agree then that's fine. But at the end of the day, we are going to enforce this rule for the benefit of all. Not just the ones who CBA to edit the quote as i just did here.
Magnum-driver wrote:... more natural to quote the one I am replying to ...
As i said, if it's not clear who you are responding to then use his name. There's absolutely no valid point in quoting an entire message (which is what happens 95% of the time, even if you don't) if you are responding to someone.
Simply copy his name, put an "@" sign and paste the name.
Magnum-driver wrote:... is that big that it needed to be cut in order to fit in a nice, discrete quote.
Good on you. As long as you use mindful quoting and don't quote the post directly above unless it's particularly large and you just wanna cover one part of it, then go ahead. Use quoting to your hearts content.
We (moderators) don't remove GOOD/PROPER usage of the quote function. We only remove superfluous quoting.

This post is an example of the level of quoting i would allow in a post.

1) It's not in the post directly above.
2) The quote(s) have been narrowed down to what i am responding to. Given, i could have just responded without the quotes. Again, this is an example of what i deem to be acceptable.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”