[DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

The forum dedicated to site issues, problems and wishes.
Cadde

[DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#1 Post by Cadde » 08 Feb 2017 03:28

This thread is set up for discussion about the topic (which is locked by design) on what we forum moderators do.
Here you can pose new questions or ask for other subjects not already covered in the locked thread.

The thread in question can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=228628
On extended hiatus.
BK Vissers

Re: [DISCUSSION] What do the moderators do?

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 08 Feb 2017 03:35

Just a comment more than discussion per se: the thread this is attempting to discuss (well, it's your opening post at this time) is nicely constructed and informative. Nice work. I hope folks take the time to read it as it's there to help them as much as the moderators.
Cadde

#3 Post by Cadde » 08 Feb 2017 03:42

Thank you. This came about because users have been asking me "why we do this" and "how do i" in relation to moderator action and it's tiring to respond to each one via PM.
Now i can just link to the thread in question and update it if new questions arise.

Feel free to ask questions here and we will respond to them here or in a more official capacity as needed in the other thread.
On extended hiatus.
golcan

#4 Post by golcan » 08 Feb 2017 04:20

I agree with @BK Vissers, I was needing that information, and you explain and organize contents very well.
Having this parallel thread for discussions allows us to have a place where to make questions and interact with you about this topic.
Two great ideas in only one day, mate. You should take the day off as reward! :D

Regards.
JUseeTV

#5 Post by JUseeTV » 08 Feb 2017 09:15

Thank you Cadde for giving as an idea what you do as a moderator until that I haven't really known what you and the other moderators do. THANK YOU!
I am not giving any sort of support, requests or Q&A through private messages, such messages will be ignored. Please use the appropriate topics, they are there for a reason.
SiSL
SCS Software

#6 Post by SiSL » 08 Feb 2017 09:54

I don't envy you guys, even I had strong arguments with most of you so far, still could find middle way...
marcel-dutch

#7 Post by marcel-dutch » 08 Feb 2017 12:29

about quoting:
What here is really not done, is on other forums a real must.
That's why a lot of people do quote the complete posting.

To the moderators:
It is easy to set rules and judge if the rules are followed or not. But understand the fact that it is not so simpel: every forum has it own rules, and that is confusing for people who using a lot of forums.
Keep that in mind.
As a moderator, you need to know why people acting how they do and why they do that.
I have learned that as a former moderator and administrator.
Cadde

#8 Post by Cadde » 08 Feb 2017 13:17

What rules in particular do you find confusing?
On extended hiatus.
marcel-dutch

#9 Post by marcel-dutch » 08 Feb 2017 23:25

I mean that the quote rules here can be confusing for people who using several forums.
As I wrote earlier, the fact is that on other forums quoting is a real must. The reason for that is that sometimes people erase their postings, what results in a unreadable conversation. So to prevent that some people quote a complete posting.
Cadde

#10 Post by Cadde » 09 Feb 2017 14:21

These forums have been spared from such events as far as i can tell.
Users don't generally delete or edit their posts in such a way.

Besides, there's no need to keep evidence of what someone has said before. In fact, there's a rule against that very thing.
[1.3] Do NOT harass, bully or stalk anyone. No matter what their history has been on these forums or elsewhere, treat them neutrally and respectfully.
That means, no matter what they have said in the past and later edited is NOT discussion worthy material.
Forums that promote that sort of behavior are IMHO not serious forums. Which i consider the SCS forums to be.
The day we moderators lose control over such a situation is the day i leave the forums.
On extended hiatus.

Return to “SCS Blog and Websites”