Creating mods

beramendi

Creating mods

#1 Post by beramendi » 03 Oct 2014 22:05

Hi everybody!

This is my first time posting here. I'm going through a long illness that is forcing me to be at home for one and a half years now. By chance I saw a video in Youtube about ETS and I really fell in love with it. Eventually I decided to purchase ETS 2 and I must say that it's been a great relief in my illness. Then I've just found this great forum and I'm very happy with the good atmosphere you all create. I appreciate especially all those of you who are able to create mods and share them with us. In my case, you make me really happy. I would like to start learning to make a mod but I'm afraid I have to do it from scratch. Could anyone tell me what programs are necessary? Thanks a lot.

My apologizes for this long speech and my horrible English. ;)
Baja_002

Re: Creating mods

#2 Post by Baja_002 » 03 Oct 2014 22:55

Welcome beramendi! We're glad to hear that community is still growing and people buying ETS2 :)

So, I would recommend that you start with simple mods. Perhaps a very basic skin or some changes to the definition files from the game. Those should be easy enough to learn. In case you would like to learn skinning, it's only necessary to have software for drawing and saving .png files, the rest is not important since you can use ES2Studio (links in my signature).

If there is something else you'd like to learn or ask, feel free to do so. There are many members that are skilled in various modding techniques; you'll learn much here.

Once again, welcome
Axel Slingerland

Re: Creating mods

#3 Post by Axel Slingerland » 03 Oct 2014 23:41

beramendi wrote:My apologizes for this long speech and my horrible English. ;)
Welcome beramendi! That was neither a long speech nor horrible English. If you think that was horrible, you must be using a great translator. (I for one can tell you did not do that...) And if you want to see some long posts, look up some of mine! [ external image ]

When I first got here I knew nothing about making mods. I learned everything I know about them from people here. Myself, I pretty much do very basic things such as image replacements, file edits, etc. For file edits you just need a good text editor. I use UltraEdit for that, but Notepad or Notepad++ would work fine. For editing images, you need a good image editor that either has built in .dds support, or something added in. I use Paint Shop Pro 5 (circa 1998) to do the image editing and Paint.NET to make .dds conversions. Be forewarned that just about the time you think you understand .dds files and how they work, there's more to learn about them.

If you want to delve into map editing and or modeling I can't offer much advice there as I know nothing about that. But there are people here who can. Whatever you want to do, if you have questions find the right forum to ask the questions in and have at it. Remember, everyone has to start somewhere. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask...

Good luck!
[ external image ]

Boycott YouTube for Blocking Ad Blockers

Return to “Help center - player to player”