SCS Software

message board
It is currently 22 Oct 2014 14:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: ETS2 prefabs
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 12:19 

I didn't know where to put this topic so I'm starting here. Sorry if I'm wrong.
I'm a map builder. I'm trying myself to convert the ice prefabs from ET2 to ETS2, but I can't convert the .ppd files, or if i just place the same, the game crashes.
Any ideas? I'll be grateful. ;)

Post subject: Re: ETS2 prefabs
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 14:16 

Better just forget about it.

PPD are complicated. And even if you understand how these work, it would be very hard to transform old one to the newest format. Not only because the structures may be slightly different, new formats contains information not to be found in the older ones.

Just compare a prefab property window (in the editor) of an older game with that of ETS2. All that additional stuff has be stored also in the PPD, now.

BTW: ice prefabs? Are you talking of those cracking road segments of Extreme Trucker 2? I would be surprised if these could be triggered in ETS2. So, even if you would manage to enhance the PPD, these prefabs probably would remain without active cracking function.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 14:21 

Reinhard wrote:
Better just forget about it.

PPD are complicated. And even if you understand how these work, it would be very hard to transform old one to the newest format. Not only because the structures may be slightly different, new formats contains information not to be found in the older ones.

Just compare a prefab property window (in the editor) of an older game with that of ETS2. All that additional stuff has be stored also in the PPD, now.

BTW: ice prefabs? Are you talking of those cracking road segments of Extreme Trucker 2? I would be surprised if these could be triggered in ETS2. So, even if you would manage to enhance the PPD, these prefabs probably would remain without active cracking function.

Actually I converted on of the ice prefabs and it worked. I dont know how. Yes, i talked about them, i dont mind about the crack, the most important is that the ai traffic avoid the crack. I don't mind if it'd be hard for me or not, the mostly important part is just to work. Hope at least further in time SCS will make these prefabs when they get to Scandinavia.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 14:54 

Frozen1 wrote:
Actually I converted on of the ice prefabs and it worked. I dont know how.

Did you touch the PPD, or not? The magic header (first byte in hex editor) is 0x11 for ET2 and 0x13 for ETS2. I never tried to do anything like this with ETS2, but I would assume that the engine would reject an old PPD header.

Quote:
i dont mind about the crack, the most important is that the ai traffic avoid the crack.

I don't think the traffic lines are stored in a different manner than before. But you never know. What irritates me a bit, is that there are some red lines now, in the editor, for example on crossings. Was that already in 1.2.5? If not, it is just rendered differently, because PPD of 1.2.5 and 1.3 crossings are the same.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 15:05 

Reinhard wrote:
Frozen1 wrote:
Actually I converted on of the ice prefabs and it worked. I dont know how.

Did you touch the PPD, or not? The magic header (first byte in hex editor) is 0x11 for ET2 and 0x13 for ETS2. I never tried to do anything like this with ETS2, but I would assume that the engine would reject an old PPD header.

I did with the pddedit by avmark. I just don't know what exported but the ppd worked fine.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 15:31 

I see. But if that procedure went fine for one and doesn't work for the other, I have no idea. Was there an error message left, at the end of the log?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 15:43 

Reinhard wrote:
I see. But if that procedure went fine for one and doesn't work for the other, I have no idea. Was there an error message left, at the end of the log?

For a different prefab, a different error. If I convert it it has a mismatch lines and then says the prism isn't right or something like this. Sometime says it's missing the triger_action1. Sometime just crashes.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 16:29 

"Prism" is the name of the engine, Prism3D.

trigger_action? That reminds me of /def/world/trigger_action.sii. Seems the old prefab informs the game to activate something which is now missing. In the Extreme Trucker 2 base content there wasn't such a file, nor this keyword, or the "command" keyword, which is used therein. So something in the handling of events must have changed, dramatically.

My only vague idea is that it must be possible to remove that trigger from the PPD. But I have never done so, I don't even know how to spot one. Maybe these are similar to service points?

I used Avmark's tool only for reading. The prefabs I worked on were simple ones of ETS1 (PDD). To move some reference points to a different location, that's all. Nothing risky, just a few changed coordinates, applied with a hex editor.

Sorry, no further idea. Hope you don't have to wait till "Northern Cape DLC pack" is released... 8-)

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 16:50 

Reinhard wrote:
"Prism" is the name of the engine, Prism3D.

trigger_action? That reminds me of /def/world/trigger_action.sii. Seems the old prefab informs the game to activate something which is now missing. In the Extreme Trucker 2 base content there wasn't such a file, nor this keyword, or the "command" keyword, which is used therein. So something in the handling of events must have changed, dramatically.

My only vague idea is that it must be possible to remove that trigger from the PPD. But I have never done so, I don't even know how to spot one. Maybe these are similar to service points?

I used Avmark's tool only for reading. The prefabs I worked on were simple ones of ETS1 (PDD). To move some reference points to a different location, that's all. Nothing risky, just a few changed coordinates, applied with a hex editor.

Sorry, no further idea. Hope you don't have to wait till "Northern Cape DLC pack" is released... 8-)

No problem. Thanks for answering me.
Btw, Northern Cape DLC pack?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013 19:56 

Frozen1 wrote:
Btw, Northern Cape DLC pack?

Blunt joke, regarding the size of possible "downloadable content", in future. :mrgreen:

But if Scandinavia will be added to the map by SCS one day, DLC or not, it might contain such prefabs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 498 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 50  Next