Request: Line wrap in the Bug Report screen

Bandit & The Snowman

Request: Line wrap in the Bug Report screen

#1 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 05 Jun 2015 13:36

When reporting a bug using the (Shift) F11 key, any text longer than the available field makes the line scroll, but the end of the written text is hidden to the right of the right border. So I would like to kindly ask for line wrap or at least some better side scrolling, because it is quite hard to edit the line end. I do like to write verbose bug texts because if I decide to play on for now and post the bug report later, I won't remember all of the circumstances any more.
Last edited by supersobes on 30 Jan 2019 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread moved from "Euro Truck Simulator 2 > Bugs" to "Euro Truck Simulator 2 > Help centre - player to player"
Reef

Re: Request: Line wrap in the Bug Report screen

#2 Post by Reef » 05 Jun 2015 13:42

do you mean when you open the bug.txt in notepad?

If so then...

[ external image ]

Edit: re-reading your post I think you mean in-game in that case, over to the devs :D
Cadde

#3 Post by Cadde » 05 Jun 2015 13:48

Every time you press Shift+F11, that text is also written to your game log and bugs.txt file.
Just in case you need to find something in the meantime.
On extended hiatus.
Bandit & The Snowman

#4 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 05 Jun 2015 14:30

I really mean the small in-game text window that optionally saves a correspondingly named screenshot.
I know there's bug.txt, but as I said, at the moment where the bug occurs I want to use the internal method, esp. when I need to look at the screen while the report dialog is open.

In the mean time I've played some with screen resolutions and switching between DirectX and OpenGL and it turned out that it only happens at 1920x1080 and in OpenGL (can't test DirectX at this resolution because of a different problem that I will report in a later post somewhere). It seems related to the proportional font that is being used. When there are a lot of thin characters (i, 1, etc.) a few characters from the line end is invisible behind the text field's rectangular border. Example: If the word "window" was the last in the line, you would only see "wind". It's just a miscalculation in the line centering/scrolling/text border routine.
I have no idea why it only occurs at this resolution; I did not test other resolutions.
It also makes no sense to post a screenshot of this, because you wouldn't see anything.

Oh, btw, it's a mod free profile, just in case ;-)
Cadde

#5 Post by Cadde » 05 Jun 2015 15:15

Might be related to this: viewtopic.php?f=168&t=185432

EDIT: Explanation for the uninitiated, it might be a faulty text rendering measure method. If the method reports that the string is "yea long" then that's where it will cut it off in a text field that scrolls. The same for the caret in the linked report, it will display the caret where it thinks the string ends.
On extended hiatus.
Michal
Site admin

#6 Post by Michal » 09 Jun 2015 13:42

Not easy to solve now.

Return to “Help center - player to player”