Gamepad in UI - experimental support

Komat
SCS Software

Gamepad in UI - experimental support

#1 Post by Komat » 11 Dec 2013 13:36

Experimental support for use of gamepads in UI is now available in gamepad public beta branch on Steam.

Limitations and known issues
  • There is no UI to manage the list of allowed devices.
  • The input wizard configures the menu button only for controllers it knows. For other controllers or for profiles with existing input setup it must be done manually in the keyboard options screen.
  • Currently it is not possible to use the controller to skip some animations.
Switching to beta

Open the properties tab of ETS2 in your Steam library and select the gamepad beta branch.

Switching from beta

When switching from the beta back to standard build of the game, the mouse cursor might stop working after you load profile which was used with the beta build. In that case you need to open the controls.sii file for that profile and replace the `fusion.mouse` string with `di8.mouse`.

Controller selection

Given the complexity of the game screens, the navigation is currently done as a virtual mouse cursor driven by the X and Y axes on the controller with first button of the controller corresponding to left button of the mouse and second button of the controller corresponding to right button of the mouse.

When the game starts, it will look for game controllers. If the game recognizes some controllers as known gamepad or joystick, it will use them automatically. Controllers recognized as known driving wheels or pedals will be ignored. For controllers which are not known to the game, a message box will be shown for each such controller asking you to decide if it should be used or not. Generally you should allow this ONLY for gamepad-like controllers where the X and Y axes are centered in the default state. The result of the decision is stored in the global_controls.sii file so if you change your mind, just delete that file (currently there is no management UI). It is possible to use the unknown controller to answer the message box however to do that, X or Y axis of the controller must be tilted to both sides to "unlock" it.

Daisy Wheel text input support in Steam Big Picture

When running under Steam Big Picture mode, a double left click (using first button of the controller) on text entry field will open the Daisy Wheel for text entry.
Last edited by Komat on 13 Dec 2013 16:37, edited 4 times in total.
thebigbadonion

Re: Gamepad in UI - experimental support

#2 Post by thebigbadonion » 11 Dec 2013 13:52

Awesome! Glad to see your giving some love to controller users:)

One suggestion for controller support though. I think it would be great if you added another context menu, to be used by the D-pad which opens a menu to control functions such as lights, wipers, hazards, engine start, and all the other secondary functions. The best way to do this, would be to look at weapon select screens on games such as GTA V,

To make it simple and easy. You could have different directions on the d-pad opening different menus. Such as

Up: Truck functions (as I just said)
Down cycle views,
Right Maps. (double function) First button press would bring up the satnav controls, the second would take you to the map screen.

This would definitley enhance the experience for those like me who play on a big screen with a gamepad.
Cadde

#3 Post by Cadde » 11 Dec 2013 14:57

And who ever said SCS doesn't listen to user suggestions/feedback?

Awesome work SCS!
On extended hiatus.
Komat
SCS Software

#4 Post by Komat » 13 Dec 2013 16:38

Now also supported on Linux.
richi902

#5 Post by richi902 » 13 Dec 2013 18:04

i joind the beta but it dosent seem to be working. as i understood the controller should work after i selected a profile, i created a new one with the beta, but my controllers do nothing.

but one good thing is, you seem to have fixed the rumble support/force feedback on linux :D.

edit: i had to controll the menus with the mouse.

my controllers: xbox360 wireless & xbox360 wired.
Death Metal

#6 Post by Death Metal » 14 Dec 2013 03:40

Very good SCS, very good. This was something I've been wanting for a long time, so I'm so glad to see it implemented. Can't wait for it to come out of beta!

Hopefully this will be a standard in your future games, as the proposed ATS and ECS.

Thank you very much!
XyonicS

#7 Post by XyonicS » 15 Dec 2013 12:03

Works great for me using a Xbox 360 wired controller. I only need to use the F# keys now on the keyboard due to running out of buttons/stick directions.

Still some things like hazards ect. also not mapped to the controller, but have really never needed to use them yet.

Makes the game so much easier now for controller used that actually take the time at the start to set it up and it is so easy to set up.
Thanks SCS.
MrHeavyMetal

#8 Post by MrHeavyMetal » 05 Jan 2014 04:33

Would it be possible to add support for modded controllers like the http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/store/razer-sabertooth which has 6 extra buttons?
Cadde

#9 Post by Cadde » 05 Jan 2014 11:20

What is the functionality of those 6 extra buttons on the controller?
If they are programmable (like on the Onza) then no, they are handled internally by the controller.
If they are for "other" functions not necessarily usable by a game then maybe... As in *insert technical explanation here*

All XBox compatible controllers are compatible with Direct Input and supports 16 buttons in total. (32 on an extended layout, but that isn't always supported on all code bases)
On extended hiatus.
MrHeavyMetal

#10 Post by MrHeavyMetal » 06 Jan 2014 00:51

Quoting from the box, "The razer sabertooth is no ordinary controller as it features six additional buttons- two on the shoulders and two removable rocking swithes at the bottom of the controller. reconfigure controls found elsewhere on the controller to these multi-function buttons ergonomically positioned right at your finger tips this design increases actuation speed, reduces fatigue and encourages natural hand posturing"

Return to “General discussion about the game”