Police Behavior

Centrino2

Police Behavior

#1 Post by Centrino2 » 22 Jan 2018 18:08

So after being forced into the truck for the christmas rush, I ran around and around in ATS and New Mexico and am super pleased with what I see so far. Even the cops are better... much better. No sudden fines for switching into different speed zones (I think y'all see where I'm going with this already). Now I can drive naturally and let the truck slow itself down or use the jakes. Plus the LED's are great alongside with the sounds. How did I find that out... drifted out of my lane and smacked another truck... cop was right behind it.

But in ETS2... reminds me of the first hell days of ATS. Why hasn't the improved police behavior from ATS made its way into ETS2? I find it quite ridiculous that I would get fined by them when approaching a toll booth that I'm going to have to slow down to a crawl to avoid taking out the gate. Do note that I am not talking about speed cameras (even though they tend to be placed ridiculously close to different speed zones). I also find it ridiculous that I would also get fined for not slowing down on ramps either, even in Italy as well, is that how the law is in Europe? heh, no wonder why Italy can afford to have Lamborghini Huracan as police cars, they bleed their motoring public dry... With toll booths I mean
Mohegan13
Global moderator

Re: Police Behavior

#2 Post by Mohegan13 » 22 Jan 2018 20:48

I don't know how it is in the US, or mainland Europe. But in the UK you should be doing the posted speed limit when you reach the sign. If you are still slowing down when you pass it you are speeding.

I haven't been fined in any Italian toll booths because you have to slow down to 25mph to not hit the auto barriers and the speed limit is 30mph. So speeding in those areas shouldn't even be possible when driving normally. The French auto-booths can be a bit trickier as their limit is actually 19mph. But again you should be doing that speed before you reach the speed controlled area.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Centrino2

#3 Post by Centrino2 » 22 Jan 2018 21:02

I didn't even know France was set to 19mph, but maybe I didn't really see the sign.

But I like to stay off my friction brakes in game and real life, but with the way the cops are now pretty much forces me to slam the brakes. ATS though not so much of an issue. Do the cops act the same way in real life as they do in game? Bust people as soon as they cross into another speed zone over the limit even when slowing down?

Maybe I should just beef up my system and git me one of dem supa widescreen 4K monitors... or maybe wait till 6K, to be able to see further.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#4 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 Jan 2018 09:23

In France the sign can be easy to miss because it's actually on the overhead gantry rather than a road sign and they are quite small.

It's certainly been known to happen here, when there are speed cameras by signs it will always flash you. Obviously a camera is just doing what its programming tells it to. With police vehicles on the other hand, they will often base it on circumstance. If it's clear you are trying to slow down and you are not significantly over the limit they will often ignore it (although most people here drive far more responsibly when they see a police vehicle). They might still pull you and remind you about the highway code and slap your wrist.

But if you were going significantly faster let's say above 36mph when approaching a 30mph limit, then you're probably going to get fined for speeding and potentially even fined for driving without due care and attention since you should have seen the sign from 20 meters away, which is more than adequate time to slow down.
[ external image ]
BlackBloodRum

#5 Post by BlackBloodRum » 23 Jan 2018 09:59

Muh1337 is correct. The limit is a limit, the idea being 30mph beyond this point sort of thing.

So from that sign you should be doing 30, not slowing down to it.

Technically your supposed to start slowing as soon as sign is visible and be at the limit by the time you reach the sign. In some cases a speed reduction ahead may be present for limits that start around a corner etc.

And yup, in the UK a police car or camera can give you points and a fine for going above the permitted speed, even if that limit has only just started.

A good example is 20mph school zones, if you even think of doing above 20 in them you'll be nailed to the floor for it.
Open Modder - Making mods for the fun of modding, without locking them or trying to make a profit. The way modding should be.

World of Trucks | Screenshots | ATS Mods | ETS2 Mods | Gitlab Repositories
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#6 Post by Mohegan13 » 23 Jan 2018 10:04

At least those school signs are easier to see though.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/BM2D26/a-20mph ... BM2D26.jpg
[ external image ]
Centrino2

#7 Post by Centrino2 » 23 Jan 2018 13:45

Now what about those speed limit signs on the exit and entry ramps?

Are those actually enforced in real life?
DWVTLtd

#8 Post by DWVTLtd » 24 Jan 2018 12:54

My problem is that the police vehicle frequency i far far FAR too high, exacerbating the problem of being fined for going over the local speed limit. I do try & stick to the limits but as mentioned above can still get done for slowing down towards a toll - I refuse to jab on the brakes as it is not fuel efficient. The police car frequency needa adjusting immediately. It is spoiling the game.
taneorb

#9 Post by taneorb » 24 Jan 2018 15:51

One annoyance for me is in France there are a few onramps where the speed limit is 50kmh pretty much all the way to the merge point. So to safely merge you pretty much need to break the speed limit and has net me a fine quite a few times.
mrtuan72

#10 Post by mrtuan72 » 24 Jan 2018 16:58

My biggest gripe with ETS2 is the many and sudden speed limit changes that occur back to back on a given stretch of road. It is so bad, I just stay 10 km/h under the speed limit. Yes we should have already slowed down for the numerous toll booths. But with the map scaling, they come up quickly. My rules are after the character has 20 garages full of trucks, I just turn off traffic offenses. The character is making enough through their employees that the fines become insignificant. I just hate the annoying cash register sound for missing a speed limit change form 70 km/h to 50 km/h for an intersection of a 2 lane highway. Love the game but if you can't maintain a set speed limit for 10 seconds before having to change it, then why put that short zone in the first place.

Return to “General discussion about the game”