Public Beta 1.19 discussion

Theosz

Re: Public Beta 1.19 discussion

#171 Post by Theosz » 17 Jul 2015 08:18

Cadde and Max.

Remembering: The best idea I have so far is that there is a considerable improvement in the mods manager, example:

mod "A" loads the value of variable [camera_fov]

Mod "B" try to reloads the value of variable [camera_fov] (if value is same do not ask, I guess, but can log)

Game ask if gamer wanna keep the previous value or allow the change. Game also report what ARE these mods... and important: do not ask again about the process envolved these two mods. if gamer put a mod "C" and this one try to reload this same variable, so only this way the game will ask again.

I hope modders can improve the filename. it is my big concern/preoccupation.
PLEASE, vote for krizzy090's idea about ownable freightmarket skins viewtopic.php?f=185&t=276108
Brazil... shanty towns
since ATS 1.32... and counting
Cadde

#172 Post by Cadde » 17 Jul 2015 09:14

Yes theosz, that's the idea. The difficulty lies in...
  1. The game loads the mods into an internal huge cache. Those internal names you see like "truckskin1.truckbrand.truckmake.paintjob" are what i believe internal paths to that huge structure. Currently, mod loading is "dumb" in that it just replaces the contents of that cache when loaded and there's no intermediate handling taking place. There's no temporary storage assigned for loading mod data and the system is (again, my belief) very convoluted. Especially around the .sii file parser.
  2. Even if the game loaded each mod separately and analyzed them to see where they differ. How would that analysis be done when they can't currently intercept the loading phase. Should they keep two caches in memory? People on 32 bit systems would cry.
  3. Then what, how will users know which one to keep and which not to keep? Do you believe most users even have the faintest idea what "camera_limits_min[0]: (-1000000.0, -1000000.0)" actually refers to? Should SCS have to explain every variable to the users now?
Like i said in that other thread. It would be better if SCS just passed all sii files (when they are extracted into memory, prior to parsing) through a merge utility. They won't have to code anything, only set up the library.
On extended hiatus.
Komat
SCS Software

#173 Post by Komat » 17 Jul 2015 09:46

Cadde wrote: That does raise a question of my own though, with -force_mods, does it load the mods alphabetically still or something else?
Currently it mounts them in order they were enumerated by the filesystem, we will fix that to enforce the original sorting.
GearJammer55

#174 Post by GearJammer55 » 17 Jul 2015 10:03

Cadde wrote:As for your sound mods no longer working. Make sure that the files hasn't changed places or been renamed.
Perhaps some of us long-term users of the game had become a bit too overcautious with mod loading order ;) , but now I've had a couple of days to get used to the Mod Manager, I've found that you can basically put all the mods you need into the Active list, then if something doesn't work as it should (2 of my sound mods didn't), just move the mod(s) to the top of the list for higher priority.

The only addition I would like to see, is an option to show mods in a simple list view in the browser window, possibly with an 'activate' button or check box beside each mod name like the old method, to provide a quicker compilation of the Active list, with a button to 'Move selected mods to Active list'. Just an idea :D .
ProMods Developer
Dukeone

#175 Post by Dukeone » 17 Jul 2015 10:38

Hey gys, at first great patch and really good improvements, especially the automatic shift function. But why we have to use 2 new buttons instead of using the shift stick(if u've wheel) or button. I for myself like to drive both, sometimes sequentiell somtimes automatic but if i want shift in automatic i must use a other button than the stick! Makes no sense for me.

Anyway the progress of the game is really great.
davidzoli

#176 Post by davidzoli » 17 Jul 2015 11:14

if i want shift in automatic
Wha? Can you do that? I press the button I set, but it does nothing.
It's in D10 and I gear back D8 and that stays in D8? When does it change back to D10?
In which automatic?
room217au

#177 Post by room217au » 17 Jul 2015 11:24

Komat wrote:Currently it mounts them in order they were enumerated by the filesystem, we will fix that to enforce the original sorting.
Does that mean when I use -force_mods that my own coin.ogg and yawn.ogg will override default sounds as before?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.
Dukeone

#178 Post by Dukeone » 17 Jul 2015 11:35

@davidzoli, yes works for me. When i drive uphill and than shift down with the setted button, it shifts down ;)
Komat
SCS Software

#179 Post by Komat » 17 Jul 2015 11:40

room217au wrote:
Komat wrote:Currently it mounts them in order they were enumerated by the filesystem, we will fix that to enforce the original sorting.
Does that mean when I use -force_mods that my own coin.ogg and yawn.ogg will override default sounds as before?
That should happen even now, the only difference is that currently the order in which the mods are mounted when using -force_mods its different than it was before so if you have a different mod which overrides those files as well, you might currently get a different loading order. With next build the order should be the same as with 1.18
natvander
SCS Software

#180 Post by natvander » 17 Jul 2015 11:41

Is there any chance the retarder/engine brake can get the same treatment in this release that the exhaust brake did in the last release - deactivation when the accelerator and clutch are active?
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “General discussion about the game”