What is the "Differential Lock"?

rsitaly

What is the "Differential Lock"?

#1 Post by rsitaly » 24 Mar 2017 09:34

Hello!

I'm not a driver in the real life ... please explain to me what is the new feature "Differential Lock", when should be used in the game and if there are limits (due the speed, etc ...).

Thanks in advance!

Roberto
natvander
SCS Software

Re: What is the "Differential Lock"?

#2 Post by natvander » 24 Mar 2017 10:05

I'm no engineer, but I've owned and driven a variety of cars and trucks with diff locks (4wds etc). I'm assuming you know what a differential is - if not, time to educate yourself and make Google your friend. When a car/truck drives around a corner, the outside wheel needs to rotate further than the inside wheel. To compensate for this, the diff in most motor vehicles allows the two driving wheels to travel at different speeds (i.e. the two driving wheels are not locked together). If this didn't happen you would get substantial tyre scrub and potentially a snapped axle. The downside to this is if one of the wheels loses traction (slippery surface, comes off the ground etc), then the vehicle stops as all the engine output goes to that spinning wheel.

A diff lock combats this as it locks the rotation of the wheels. One wheel comes off the ground, the other wheel continues to rotate. Where should it be used - slippery and/or uneven surfaces (in game, the mine/quarry is the best place). Use at low speed and ensure it's turned off when you hit the hard top - or make sure you drive in a straight line.
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Wolfi
Beta tester

#3 Post by Wolfi » 24 Mar 2017 11:15

This video explains nicely what differrential is for, how it works and what is a diff lock and how it works - it's Lego - but the same applies to real life:
So a diff lock should be used when you loose traction. Ingame if you have route advisor on, it will suggest you when to turn the lock on. It's very usefull for getting out of ditches, quarries, etc. You can use it freely up to the speed of 20km/h (not 100% sure about the exact value) if you go any faster with diff lock engaged your truck will get damage.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Jarrad

#4 Post by Jarrad » 25 Mar 2017 12:41

1) Get yourself an RJL mod (or a suitable truck mod with a tri-drive chassis)

2) Perform sharp turn with said tri-drive (choose a heavy trailer beforehand for best results)

3) Engage diff locks

4) Repeat step 2 with locks engaged. You'll feel the difference ;)
Space_Night

#5 Post by Space_Night » 25 Mar 2017 17:50

GT-Mike wrote: So a diff lock should be used when you loose traction. Ingame if you have route advisor on, it will suggest you when to turn the lock on. It's very usefull for getting out of ditches, quarries, etc. You can use it freely up to the speed of 20km/h (not 100% sure about the exact value) if you go any faster with diff lock engaged your truck will get damage.
great for storming out of the quarry now!

a while ago I had fun getting out of the quarry with a digger, the truck just spun so turned around and had to REVERSE out of the quarry, pushing the trailer!

Eaton lock-up Diff
CMarrasca

#6 Post by CMarrasca » 26 Mar 2017 17:04

I have some questions:

1) Which chassis have Diff Lock? (4x2, 6x4, 6x2-4...)
2) Mods are automatically compatible or need update by the autor?
Reider

#7 Post by Reider » 27 Mar 2017 09:36

When I was an apprentice Diesel Fitter I had to learn from a book called Hillier and Pittuck Heavy Vehicle Technology. We had to quote everything in there word for word then say it in laymans terms. The differential is a unit which transmits torque (turning effort) to the road wheels proportional to the resistance of the road on the road wheels. Meaning, when you go round a corner one wheel goes faster than the other. With the Diff lock the torque (turning effort) is split equally between the wheels. Leaving both wheels with a greater chance of gaining a grip or purchase and getting out of there.
Max
SCS Software

#8 Post by Max » 27 Mar 2017 13:06

CMarrasca wrote:I have some questions:

every chassis has the functionality, so:
1/ all
2/ auto (except dashboard icons)
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
CMarrasca

#9 Post by CMarrasca » 27 Mar 2017 15:38

Max wrote:
CMarrasca wrote:I have some questions:

every chassis has the functionality, so:
1/ all
2/ auto (except dashboard icons)
Thanks Max!
AlexO231

#10 Post by AlexO231 » 06 Apr 2017 13:13

The most and the easiest way to explain this:
-When you lock the differential, the wheels will rotate simultaneousely, that cause the truck to steer harder. And why is dangerous at high speeds? it will self-destruct if you steer at high speeds.it will destroy
-tires
-the axle
-the shaft
-parts that make the wheel that is self-detattach during driving

Return to “General discussion about the game”