Headtracking slash eye trackers, what to choose!?

murdoch82

Headtracking slash eye trackers, what to choose!?

#1 Post by murdoch82 » 29 Apr 2017 13:11

I used to stream ETS2 2 years ago, then Windows 10 came out and the EDTracker model I used then had no support, the chip maker
did not wanna update the driver for Windows 10. They then came out with a "Pro" model with a newer chip and all, but I dont wanna buy that again.

So TrackIR or Tobii 4C... I can not decide, TrackIR seem safer bet.. but Tobii seem so cool.. its tempting, with very limited funds, just about able to buy one I dont wanna risk it.

Anyone have any helpful tips?

I wanna stream full time, I know, everyone do.,.. but I did for 2 weeks and I got such positive feedback I have been wanting to do this now fo ra long time.
I got the basic hardware for it, 2 monitors and a decent PC! No capture card yet but maybe I get that later or even a second PC but cant afford such things now.
Atleast I have fast internet! ;) 100/100 Mbit!

So anyone have experience?
PC: AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, 32 Gb 3200 Mhz,MSI X570S Tomahawk WifI MAX, 6750XT 12Gb, 2x LG 27GL650B-F 144 Hz 1 x ASUS 24" 60 hz 3x1080p, G29 + H-Shifter, TrackIR5
Leen

Re: Headtracking slash eye trackers, what to choose!?

#2 Post by Leen » 29 Apr 2017 13:58

You can use a PS eye and clip or do it yourself with a webcam and cap to make a diy Trackir.

For years I used a logitech webcam and a selfmade cap with ir leds, now I use the PS eye for a smoother behavior of head movements, because the PS eye has a higher fps.

For more info about the PS eye http://www.delanengineering.com/

And to make easily a cap http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=413

Software I use is Facetracknoir v200 with the pointracker or trackhat

http://www.facetracknoir.nl/

https://www.trackhat.org/trackhat-opentrack

The hardest thing is to configurate the movement settings but when done it works so smooth in every direction you want, notice you need driver for the PS eye.
That's why I buy it at delanengineering because the PS eye is ready to use and you get those drivers for free, the PS eye works even with light or sunbeams. My old webcam doesn't do that which means with sunbeams or light on the background the webcam lost his points and stops working, the PS eye don't have that issue.

Of course you can buy a original Trackir but it cost you a lot of money in compare with a homemade trackir.
Reinhard

#3 Post by Reinhard » 29 Apr 2017 15:21

Leen wrote:Of course you can buy a original Trackir but it cost you a lot of money in compare with a homemade trackir.
Yes. And the next time my flimsy original "Pro" clip breaks, I may try the Delan clip.

But the TrackIR-5 device I would replace, again, despite the high costs. Because as far as I know, it is the solution with the least performance impact. That's important for me. But I never used another head-tracking solution, so I can't really recommend it with certainty.

Face-tracking is a no-go for me until FPS is no issue anymore. Probably in the next century.

Eye tracking I also never had an opportunity to try, but the idea makes me shudder. Head-tracking is really nice - after a short period of getting accustomed to it. I want to be able to look at any direction I like, without consequences. The whole idea sounds like nailing the eyeballs to the screen. :D
CXN2615

#4 Post by CXN2615 » 29 Apr 2017 17:04

The TrackIR is better since it
1.use a custom interface, rather than tobii which simulate it self as a joystick for ETS
2.Have 5-DOF, so you can translation your head to see things like the traffic lights behind A pillar

Switching from WiiRemote freetrack to TrackIR 5 I don't feel any performance improve, But the software side became much easier to use
Before, I have to power up the WiiRemote by a 3V DC transformer and power up my LED set by another 5V transformer, and connect wii to PC via Bluetooth then start up Freetrack.
And I have to constantly re-soldering those home made power line, especially the LED one since it moves with my head...
Now I just need to start the TrackIR5 software....
But as I said, no performance difference, so if you can stand on that, you could try the freetrack
Leen

#5 Post by Leen » 29 Apr 2017 17:57

I made my ir led cap years ago and never re-soldering anything, I use a 3 volts adapter for the cap and only that adapter broke once. If you decide to use a webcam beware to use one with minium of 60fps, otherwise your will notice it in game performance.
murdoch82

#6 Post by murdoch82 » 29 Apr 2017 18:14

I jumped the gun on the Tobii 4C with Eye and headtracking but seems ETS2 and only that sim support eye but not head witht hat hardware so I canceled it for now. That said I would have gotten Ghost Recon with it, thats pretty cool even if that game looks abit crap. ;p

I'm so scared I'll be disappointed... I'm poor, its alot of money for me! xD
PC: AMD Ryzen R9 5900X, 32 Gb 3200 Mhz,MSI X570S Tomahawk WifI MAX, 6750XT 12Gb, 2x LG 27GL650B-F 144 Hz 1 x ASUS 24" 60 hz 3x1080p, G29 + H-Shifter, TrackIR5
Reinhard

#7 Post by Reinhard » 11 Aug 2017 14:32

Reinhard wrote: 29 Apr 2017 15:21 And the next time my flimsy original "Pro" clip breaks, I may try the Delan clip.
... which arrived today, all the way from Leicester, England. NICE!

Like I expected all the time: Last week my second clip broke. After several repairs it was in a pitiful state, beyond fixing. I looked up the price for a new one: in Germany, it comes to 45,95 Euro plus 5,00 Euro shipping fee. 50.95 Euro, that's a lot for a flimsy product.

The Delan works like charm, looks way more stable, and was 35,77 Euro (shipping included). So i saved 15 Euro, and I hope it will last longer than the two predecessors did.

A was skeptical, at first, if the Velcro mount is a good idea. Well, it may be difficult for other headsets, but with mine it works perfectly. Much better fit than with the original Track Clip Pro, which was a pain. To be fair, with an older headset it happened to fit much better, then.

Yes, the open cables do look a little bit exposed. I've covered them by wrapping it all up, with patches of black duct tape. A perfect solution would be an aluminum die cast clip. But hey, who's concerned about dignified looks when he's to be seen in front of a display, gaming.
Reef

#8 Post by Reef » 11 Aug 2017 15:00

Reinhard what the heck are you doing to your clips then?

I've had my TrackIR Pro since 2013 it is ALWAYS attached to my headphones and I use headphones for everything, Gaming, Twitch, Netflix, YouTube, music, everything. My headphones must go on and off my head at least 20~30 times per day, 7 days a week, and my clip is still as new :?

I will not hazard a guess as to how many times my knee or chair arm or dog (ikr) have knocked them off the desk onto our laminate floor either.
Reinhard

#9 Post by Reinhard » 12 Aug 2017 17:22

Thrashing it against the wall every time the AI does something stupid.

No, maybe it was just bad luck, but nearly every time when my headset fell to the ground it was clip down first. But we are talking about eight years. I think I bought the first one in Summer 2009. The second in 2013, I guess. So if you brake yours tomorrow, we are on a par. :D
Reef

#10 Post by Reef » 12 Aug 2017 17:32

Oh cheers, now you're trying to jinx me :evil: :lol:

Return to “General discussion about the game”