Steam OSX, weird startup behaviours

RootlessAgrarian

Steam OSX, weird startup behaviours

#1 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 30 Apr 2017 04:00

Ever since El Cap (and maybe some rev of ETS2) I have had problems on initial startup.

The basic pattern is that on the first try, Steam hangs in "Preparing to start Euro Truck Simulator 2". I have to Force Quit (kill) the process.

On the second try, it also hangs and has to be killed.

On the third try, it usually works.

I did try leaving the timeout to resolve itself; I left it for half an hour and still had the Beachball of Doom when I returned to the screen.

Has any other Steam/OSX user seen this strange behaviour? Once the game finally launches, it seems to behave OK -- stable and glitch-free. It's just a PITA getting it launched.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)
BK Vissers

Re: Steam OSX, weird startup behaviours

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 30 Apr 2017 11:23

I've seen what you describe, but only very rarely. I think it's a Steam problem, because my workaround for the occasion when this happens is to shut down steam and restart. The game will then run fine.

Mind you it happens less that 5% of the time for me so YMMV.
RootlessAgrarian

#3 Post by RootlessAgrarian » 30 Apr 2017 19:44

Well I am glad to know someone else is seeing a similar issue.

Mine happens pretty much all the time. Here is a typical sequence:

Playing ETS2, running fine, everything is great.
Shut down.

Try to restart by dbl click ETS2 (not steam) icon.
ETS2 icon jumps around once or twice, then dies taking Steam with it.

Try again by dbl click ETS2 icon -- Steam starts, logs in, says "Preparing to launch ETS2..." hangs.
Force quit.

Try again by starting Steam first, selecting ETS2 from library and launching. Same hang.

Try again by same method: finally it works.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I start ETS2 from Steam or from a dbl click on its own icon: it always seems to fail on first and second attempts.

Third attempt usually works. I thought at first that there was some startup config behaviour that was taking too long (hence OSX thinking Steam process had hung), maybe trying some network connectivity that was slow... but as said above, I let it run once for 30 min and it never recovered.

I can always get it started sooner or later but it can be quite frustrating. Nowadays I often leave ETS2 running, just switch desktops when I want to do something outside the game. It seems quite stable even when left paused (in main menu) for 24 hours or longer.
Level 42 and rising... i7 8700K -- AMD Radeon 5700XT -- ASUS MAXIMUS XI HERO - WIN10
NoCabView minimod
Euro Bike Simulator
The Beginner's Guide To SCS Mapping (WIP)
BK Vissers

#4 Post by BK Vissers » 01 May 2017 02:01

Ok, but you're doing things a bit differently than I am, if I understand you correctly.

It may make no difference but indulge me.

Try starting steam after a fresh reboot of the computer.

Launch the game from steam.

If it fails to run, close steam, relaunch steam, and launch the game from Within steam.

Does this change the behaviour? In my own experience, I could try relaunching ETS2 several times, but it will just do the bouncy thing unless I first close and reopen steam.

Another suggestion:

Try an SMC and PRAM reset on your computer.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25631?vi ... cale=en_CA

Return to “General discussion about the game”