ETS2 Heavy Haul thread

Bandit & The Snowman

ETS2 Heavy Haul thread

#1 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 12 May 2017 13:32

Time to evaluate the DLC!

So the general experience is it's almost too easy to drive a heavy rig with the steering trailer. It takes a bit to get used to the new radii, surprisingly already when moving out of the parking slot. Also you have to stay more on the inside of a curve than you used to. It feels a bit like the trailer's tail tries to swerve right behind the tractor, almost like in a deliberate, controlled fishtailing maneuver.

It does take a strong engine now, you have a hard time getting too far above the highway speed limit even with the 750 hp Volvo. Indispensable in the quarries, where I was astonished to see you can easily spin out at the stronger grades even with the 8x4 and diff lock turned on. If you're caught dead there, it takes some good technique - or you just take advantage of your trailer's steering feature and back up down and make sure you use a lot more momentum upwards.

Physics - from the first teaser video I was a little afraid the front trailer axle's maximum steering angle might be too shallow for optical reasons or whatever, considering that Goldhofer's website speaks of angles of up to 60°. But it looks like SCS has hit the spot again. If you turn too tightly, the trailer will properly brake you and the front wheels will scrape quite reluctantly, the tires and possibly the trailer's mechanics might take damage in real life.
At first I thought I have to question the rig's high stability in curves, but this is one of the not so obvious but strong advantages of trailer steering: The bigger radius allows the trailer to stay in the position (relative to the tractor) where it is most stable.

Looks - I'm not too sensitive about polys, the trailer looks fine to me. Nice modeling and also a good choice of cargos. I'm looking forward to lots of mod cargos and of course trailers.
andrei383

Re: ETS2 Heavy Haul thread

#2 Post by andrei383 » 12 May 2017 13:39

Admittedly I haven't driven it much (was working on a mod to replace the logos), but initial inspection of the model and textures show really high quality work! And at the price I got it for, it's definitely a great DLC!

Thank you SCS! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by andrei383 on 12 May 2017 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Zsuzsanna

#3 Post by Zsuzsanna » 12 May 2017 14:30

I am enjoying the Heavy Haul DLC. I miss my paint job and most of my others to choose from are also not available with the 8x4 chassis but that's not a huge deal. I am surprised that the fuel tank on the tower chassis is only 700l though.
CAElite

#4 Post by CAElite » 12 May 2017 15:32

Bought it earlier on, don't get in from work until late tonight though :(. Although without yet playing it, I was skeptical at first with the new DLC only adding 2 heavy haul trailers to the game when in real life there is a multitude of very different setups, however I have been pleasantly suprised by SCS pricing it according to the content added. Personally I think the low loader trailer should have been more heavily featured in the pre-release press as it is a much more frequently used setup than the pup trailer SCS initially featured.

Can't wait to take it for a spin, trying to decide whether to configure a heavy haul truck or to stick with my 510bhp DAF tag lift, which I know in real life is good up to 80ton or so GTW.
IVECO - It Vibrates and Everything Comes Off. | DAF - Don't Ask for Features.

World of Trucks
fuub

#5 Post by fuub » 12 May 2017 16:29

please tell me there is an option to turn off the steering axles so there is actually any challenge to drive with these trailers...
Max
SCS Software

#6 Post by Max » 12 May 2017 18:06

nope. but its moddable.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
xXCARL1992Xx

#7 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 12 May 2017 18:17

ugh this guy will never learn

can you guys implement trailer destructen ?

then he will think twice before he drives without steering on a trailer that is not supposed to drive without steering
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
fuub

#8 Post by fuub » 12 May 2017 20:03

CARL man you talk like it is actually a challenge to drive in ets2, try playing omsi2 and learn what challeging and simulation is.
xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 12 May 2017 20:07

this is not because of challenge because it is unrealistic to drive a 4 axle trailer without steer and NOT to destroy your tires or worse the whole axle with it

whats the point of this DLC when you deaktivierte one of the main features ?

then dont even buy it and drive with a normal trailer or use jazzycats trailer pack
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Bandit & The Snowman

#10 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 12 May 2017 20:08

'Challenge' is not the point here. There should be a turn off feature, but to make things easier in some specific situations, not harder. Why else would manufacturers develop features like trailer steering? If you don't want trailer steering, there are enough mods out there that have no trailer steering at all.

Return to “General discussion about the game”