ETS2 Heavy Haul thread

stb155

Re: ETS2 Heavy Haul thread

#121 Post by stb155 » 29 May 2017 19:56

Overall liking Heavy Haul DLC so far.

Kind of hard to find loads though, lot of deadhead in between.
And it does not pay well compared to other cargo considering that you "need" an expansive 8*4 tractor for it.

Driving is a bit on the easy side with the steering trailers, i find it easier than regular semi, hope the doubles will be more of a challenge.
Bit worried though since the screenshots only show B-trains (standard semi/trailer+drawbar trailer), i really would like some articulated trailers on rigid trucks.

Gearbox also seems not tuned for high loads.
8*4 tractor alone starts in 6th(A4), add a 55ton load and it starts in 5th(A3), so what i need crawler gears for if it always starts in 3rd regular gear anyway ?!?, should start in A1 (as ~450hp semi do with >30tons total)

The heavy loads really push you downhill, so it is a bit annoying that the retarder/engine brake/cruise control and gearbox controls are still kind of FUBAR*.

*Pulling the "retarder stalk" should also activate engine/exhaust brake, and on highest setting also make the gearbox shift up to highest possible gear, and it should NOT cancel engine cruise control.
IRL you operate ONE lever/stalk, in ETS2 you need 5 buttons for the same task.
FlyingPigeon

#122 Post by FlyingPigeon » 30 May 2017 08:25

as far as i know, the retarder doesnt funtion exhaustbrake as that would be the engine brake that does that (on some trucks Scania f.e. its a button on the floor you press). And i am pretty sure in all trucks CC is turned off when brake of any sort is applied, been on all the trucks i ever driven IRL, besides that it would be very unsafe if you apply brakes of any sort and the engine keeps pulling. as it is ingame is pretty close to IRL.
Scandinavian truckdriver.
-Raiden-

#123 Post by -Raiden- » 01 Jun 2017 08:27

stb155 wrote: Gearbox also seems not tuned for high loads.
8*4 tractor alone starts in 6th(A4), add a 55ton load and it starts in 5th(A3), so what i need crawler gears for if it always starts in 3rd regular gear anyway ?!?, should start in A1 (as ~450hp semi do with >30tons total)
I think you're missing a point there...
Those heavy haul tractors are developped for moving real heavy loads... and not for driving at 90km/h on the highway...
The 60 ton locomotive might be a heavy thing for the ETS2 scale, but in real life any of the heavy haul tractors would easily move it around "by one hand".
The Actros SLT (Mercedes also calls it the "Actros up to 250 tons") is made for hauling up to 250 tons alone and Volvo did a PR-stunt / record challenge with a series-produced FH16 750 8x4 with crawler gears which was able to move 750 tons on its own!!!

Long story short - SCS recreated the trucks to their real specs, but the "heavy" loads in the game are still pretty light for such a tractor.
Why SCS didn't include heavier / more oversized cargo will have its reasons which we can only guess about...
SCS-trucksim veteran - ETS2: since December 2012 / ATS: since release in February 2016 / Several 18WoS parts even before that

My Photo Album (ETS2) | My American Journeys (ATS) | My WoT-profile
CAElite

#124 Post by CAElite » 05 Jun 2017 18:34

Those where kind of my thoughts Raiden. Most loads up to around 100ton GTW are handled with fairly standard, but highly speced 6x4 rigs, even some 6x2 setups. The 8 wheeled rigs are really designed for 100-200ton loads, anything above that you are looking at multi-head trailers (trailers with multiple tractors, normally in a pushpull arrangement). Personally I have never seen a 10 wheeled rig but I do know there are some uses for them.

I still can't wait to see some rigids implemented, by far some of the most challenging trucks to drive in real life are 8x4 aggregate haulers. Almost always run highly laden (which here is 38tons GTW i.e ~12ton truck+upfit with ~26ton load) but tend to be badly specced with low power engines and rather unstable centres of gravity. Would be a true to life usage scenario for the 8x4 chassis. I hope if SCS sees the heavy haul DLC to be a popular revenue stream that the can implement other forms of haulage, rigids, even light 3.5-7ton vans would be awesome and introduce a fresh, new dynamic to ETS2/ATS.
IVECO - It Vibrates and Everything Comes Off. | DAF - Don't Ask for Features.

World of Trucks
Centrino2

#125 Post by Centrino2 » 10 Jun 2017 19:38

Truck and trailer damaged possibly by tollbooth on the A4 (is that like an interstate?) going westbound before passing Katowice exits.

No sign of impact just damage that popped up out of nowhere, reloaded game from last autosave which put me after the tollbooth that may have caused the damage, and truck cabin and chassis damage seems to have been reduced but trailer damage was still at 2%.
IonutL

#126 Post by IonutL » 11 Jun 2017 08:33

That issue on the polish tollbooths has been reported in bugs section.
kojot

#127 Post by kojot » 11 Jun 2017 19:16

I personally play with weakest engine to actually have more fun with 12+2 gearbox. This setup can pull anything in this game. Bigger engine just makes it nobrainer.
Spooky

#128 Post by Spooky » 15 Jun 2017 19:57

Love the larger trailers, but I feel it would be nice to have the option to disable the steering axles, particularly to assist in reversing (in the real world, the steering is often controlled by a Banksman with a remote unit when manoeuvring, but I realise the SIM has its limits :D)
Regards,
Mick
xXCARL1992Xx

#129 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 15 Jun 2017 20:03

not every trailer has a banksman that assists, certainly not this "small" ones in ETS2
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Elmer BeFuddled

#130 Post by Elmer BeFuddled » 15 Jun 2017 22:19

stb155 wrote: 29 May 2017 19:56 Overall liking Heavy Haul DLC so far.

Kind of hard to find loads though, lot of deadhead in between.
And it does not pay well compared to other cargo considering that you "need" an expansive 8*4 tractor for it.
I've had no issues pulling the heaviest loads with my bog standard Actros, well, apart from going under the lower side of a flyover and getting stuck!
I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.
Nothing is foolproof to the talented fool.

EBF ETS2 Satellite Map For ProMods, RusMap etc..
ETS2 v1.18.x Satellite Map Background
Road Atlas Map Backgrounds

Return to “General discussion about the game”