Does anyone else think.....

BK Vissers

Re: Does anyone else think.....

#11 Post by BK Vissers » 26 May 2017 11:47

Ok, so it's not just me then. I kept seeing trailers with steer axles and while I know they exist, they're not quite as universal as that!
CAElite

#12 Post by CAElite » 26 May 2017 12:54

I am trying to find it but honestly can't remember what it is called, there was a company in the UK using a 4x2 tractor coupled to a very short single axle steerable trailer, it was designed to be able to turn around within city roads without causing much disruption, I genuinely can't remember what its purpose was but I saw it in a trucking magazine a few years back.
IVECO - It Vibrates and Everything Comes Off. | DAF - Don't Ask for Features.

World of Trucks
mm1988

#13 Post by mm1988 » 26 May 2017 13:03

CO-OP use quite a lot of short box trailers in the UK with steering axles also tesco have some. They use them for deliveries to the small shops in towns and villages
Last edited by Flemming V on 26 May 2017 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed. Please don't quote post right above.
b101uk

#14 Post by b101uk » 26 May 2017 14:20

Multidrive (http://www.multidrivevehicles.com/)
they were actually most often all wheel drive including the "trailer", but there ware some without the AWD bits and just used the forced bogie steering, and the "trailers" rear bogie was mounted on turntable ring (like the lead axle/s of flexible A-frame drawbar trailer is mounted on a turntable ring), they also had the distinction of being classified as a "ridged vehicle", and not an articulated vehicle (tractor unit + semi-trailer), because the connection between the tractor and the "trailer" was considered in law "permanent", (the definition of permanent being, "requires significant time and tooling or a workshop to separate"), as it used a gimballed turntable ring on most of the AWD ones and a 2 axis turntable ring on the 4x2 ones.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

underside too.
[ external image ]
Last edited by Flemming V on 26 May 2017 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed. Please don't quote entire post or post right above.
FlyingPigeon

#15 Post by FlyingPigeon » 26 May 2017 20:08

CAElite wrote:I am trying to find it but honestly can't remember what it is called, there was a company in the UK using a 4x2 tractor coupled to a very short single axle steerable trailer, it was designed to be able to turn around within city roads without causing much disruption, I genuinely can't remember what its purpose was but I saw it in a trucking magazine a few years back.
it sounds like a city trailer, typically used in local/near distribution, they are effective bc they turn on a dime, also come in a two axle combo where the last is steering and the second one sits abit further towards the front. They are very used in Denmark for distribution i see them quite often.
Scandinavian truckdriver.
CAElite

#16 Post by CAElite » 04 Jul 2017 13:16

Found it: https://youtu.be/UFpc9MfqoxQ

Small bulker deliveries in London.
IVECO - It Vibrates and Everything Comes Off. | DAF - Don't Ask for Features.

World of Trucks
Wolfi
Beta tester

#17 Post by Wolfi » 04 Jul 2017 13:25

That's a super cute combo :wolf:

But yeah it looks like nowadays every trailer mod is equipped with at least 1 steeraxle, which in most cases is dumb and unrealistic :?
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
marcel-dutch

#18 Post by marcel-dutch » 04 Jul 2017 21:12

SiSL wrote: 26 May 2017 09:12 Liftable axles, sure, it is a common sight on real roads but steerable on casual curtainsiders / reefers? Hell no... They do not exist... Or if may be, custom made on some brands some model, which is hard to spot once in a million...
Some small tanker trailers have steerable axles.

Return to “General discussion about the game”