ETS2 DLC (Going East) Competition

Cadde

Re: ETS2 DLC (Going East) Competition

#21 Post by Cadde » 28 Aug 2013 13:35

"It just takes a minute to register on the site"

It also requires you to give out an e-mail address. Sure there are sites that never share that information but that doesn't reduce the amount of spam that ends up in that e-mail addresses folders eventually.
Let's just put it this way, i have used some alternative e-mail addresses for registering on certain forums and even though the forums claim they will never share your e-mail address with anyone after the X'th forum i have registered to that e-mail address fills up with spam none the less.
And then there's the whole thing about not reusing passwords across sites... If one wants to re-visit site number 9001 (a number) in the order of sites then you now need to remember that password.
I only register on sites where i have something to gain from doing so, this competition is not incentive enough to join that site.

As for reporting posts on the forum, that is the best way to keep the forum clean. WerewolfCustoms, you would be surprised to see how effective it is at removing actual spam adverts on these forums.
But i guess i should go and get a life and so should all the other people who actually care about this forum. Let's just let the forum spiral downwards and be filled with haters and spam/junk posters who actually suffer from the lack of life you are talking about.
A forum doesn't just get good by itself, it does require moderation or it will have an equal status to that of youtube comment sections.

So there you have my thoughts on the topic of creating new accounts and flagging posts.
On extended hiatus.
WerewolfCustoms

#22 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 28 Aug 2013 15:11

@Cadde - you need just one password for all the forums - the one that does not grant access to any important accounts :)
And, you don't need to give any e-mails - just use 10 minute mail service.

There's decent amounts of anti-bot and anti-spy software for forums out there. But, I'm not really talking about reporting spam. I'm talking about reporting threads like this one. Who was offended by it? I mean, if you don't like it - ignore it.
Cadde

#23 Post by Cadde » 28 Aug 2013 16:22

"If you don't like it, ignore it"

That's exactly what's going to kill a forum my friend.

If someone (say he's 12 years old because that's the standard measure) comes into this forum and start cussing everybody out for what he believes is retarded and/or stupid and in general stars flame wars and makes troll posts then that's not going to be a nice atmosphere to be in on a forum.
Now say I and everyone else who doesn't "like it" ignore him... Well, that doesn't change the fact he is degrading the quality of the forum in general.

The same with advertisers that post blatant advertising posts on the forum. Do you want 9 out of 10 threads to be about how you can sustain your boner longer and how you can enlarge your junk for the ladies pleasure?
Now, i am not comparing this thread to such obviously annoying spam posts. That doesn't mean i won't investigate if such posts perhaps should have gone in a different section on the forum.
I want to discuss the game in the "General discussions about the game" section of this forum, i don't want to sift through several threads that advertise other ETS 2 sites in the midst of this discussion section of the forums.

The same way i selected the proper section of these forums for testing the forum features rather than posting it in the bugs section of the forum i expect to find related content in the related sections of the forum.
It's not just for our sake either. SCS developers roam these forums for information they can use to improve their game and future game releases. They don't have time to sort through the irrelevant topics to get to the real user feedback and suggestions, that's what moderators are for. To move content to their right places, keep the tone of the forums at a nice level and sort out spam posts.

For instance, ohaha is doing a great job removing unnecessary quotes so that one doesn't have to scroll several miles of pyramid quoted posts to get to the relevant discussions.

This forum is doing great and personally i would like to keep it that way as much as i possibly can.
Ignoring something doesn't make it go away.
On extended hiatus.
ohaha

#24 Post by ohaha » 28 Aug 2013 16:23

OK, people. I think we all got the idea.
Let's cease this discussion, because I'm pretty sure the initial intention was a very different one.
These talks about individual tastes and how each of us relate to an online account are pointless.

Thanks for cooperation. :)
Retired, but still loving it.
MADxMAX

#25 Post by MADxMAX » 28 Aug 2013 20:41

I have noticed that some members have created reports for my thread ( yes I am a global moderator on the SCS forums as well as being a beta tester ), but did not do anything with the reports as I thought it would be unprofessional to do so as these reports where about my own thread, so left them for other staff to look at.

I am doing the competition mainly for the fun of it, not to annoy people, not to start rants over anything, or arguments, my forums will never ever give out users email ( lets clear this up right now ), and if members here wish to join in the competition and do not trust my forums, then if they create a account on my forums, use a fake email, and then contact me via private message on here with their username I will manually activate their account ( we have account activation among other security to prevent the spammers and we had a lot of them but we have stopped them now ).

The DLC will be bought and paid for out my own pocket, and as there is going to be a public poll for the winner there can no way it can be cheated ( I have received private messages on here and my own forums asking this question so wanted to clear it up ).

I do not class this thread as advertising, apart from the SCS DLC, and giving it away, I did not do it on another forums/website, as myself and my staff on our own forums wished to try to help our community, not by growing but to put our name out there as not being another mods website/forums that only wants to gain views for the payments from adverts but for the community to help each other, discussions about the games, mods, and patches, and this is not the first competition we have run, we have given away 5 unlock codes for the complete ETS2 game, and now we have progressed onto the upcoming Downloadable Content.

If you want to discuss anything about the competition please do so in a private message on the SCS forums, and I will answer your questions using this method, rather than 'clogging' the SCS forums up.

M@x

Return to “General discussion about the game”