SCS Software

message board
It is currently 21 Oct 2014 04:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013 12:08 

Experimental support for Oculus Rift DK1 is available in the 1.9.x+ patches, support for DK2 is available in the oculus beta branch on Steam. Currently the support is available only in the Windows versions of the game.

Requirements

• The game is using a OVR libraries (0.2.5 for 1.9.x patch, 0.4.2 for oculus branch) and expects that there is a default profile which has proper IPD and that magnetic calibration was done in the configuration tool.
  • In case of the 0.4.2 the display mode must be set to the "Extend Desktop to the HMD" mode and the display must be configured to "Portrait" orientation in Windows.
  • A really fast GPU and CPU is recommended.

Limitations and known issues

• The version from oculus branch has very early support for head tracking in the UI which has some issues such as incorrect fadeouts or strange looking PIP images of trucks.
  • Only some parts of the menu have 3d background
  • The head orientation and position is currently used only by the interior camera
  • There might be distortions when using some menu screens in 3d mode or when switching the 3d mode of the menu in some situations.
  • The advisor was moved to the bottom center of the screen when Oculus is used however no other optimizations were done.
  • The game does not reset the orientation/position when entering truck so you will have to do that manually by pressing F12.
  • The default reset key F12 coincides with the default Steam screenshot key.

How to enable

To enable the support, run the game with -oculus command line parameter. This will cause the game to detect the available oculus devices, select the first one found and launch with a resolution matching the device. If no device is found, a dummy one is used.

For standard builds it is recommended to set-up your system so the oculus mirrors the primary monitor and run the game in fullscreen mode.

For oculus branch builds you should run the game in fullscreen DX9 mode.

You might want to configure the graphics settings to use Scale of 100%, disable MLAA and DOF.

Configuration

The game can show the menu in 2D or 3D positioned mode. This is toggled by the r_manual_stereo_in_menu cvar or by F11 key. As the menu was not designed for low resolution displays, the content of many screens is unreadable. If you are using the monitor in the mirrored mode, you might want to set the game to show the menu in a 2D mode or temporarily toggle between the 2d and 3d mode using the F11 key when using the menu to do some work where text reading is required. This mode is currently of no use for DK2 because of its monitor layout.

It is possible to configure the 3D parameters of the plane on which the UI is shown using the r_manual_stereo_ui_fov* and r_manual_stereo_ui_dist* cvars. There are two sets of the parameters. One is used in menu to provide view of all corners of the ui while the other is used when driving in game to provide better view of the advisor.

As the ui mirrors are not visible in the field of view in the default ui fov settings, it is good idea to disable them to improve performance.

The advisor is best run in the minimized transparent variant. The variants are toggled using the F3 key.

The standard builds use the Oculus movement prediction with the duration of the precision limited by per-game-profile cvars named i_oculus_min_prediction and i_oculus_max_prediction representing the range in seconds to which to clamp the frame duration used for the prediction. The beta branch builds ignore the value of those parameters.

It is possible to reset the Oculus position using the F12 key. This conflicts with default Steam screenshot key so you might want change the setting in game by editing the headreset mix in the controls.sii file for your in-game profile or use the in-game screenshot key which since 1.6 also creates corresponding Steam screenshot.

The 1.7.0.3+ builds use a limited variant of angle-dependent movement of the head from the normal game. It only keeps the window lookout and moves its start to about 85 degress. The movement can be disabled entirely by setting g_hmd_no_artifical_movement profile cvar to 1 before starting the game. The game simulates a non-point head in similar way the Oculus example does. In standard build you can tweak the size of the head using i_oculus_eye_height and i_oculus_eye_protrusion profile cvars.

A r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale cvar can be used to increase size of the rendered image which is latter used as input to the distortion to improve quality.

The 1.7.0.3+ builds supports a Oculus specific appearance of menu. Currently this is only used to change layout of the full-featured (with all widgets unlocked) desktop menu. Future builds are likely to tweak the menu more and improve layout of additional parts of the menu. This feature can be disabled by setting g_oculus_no_special_menu profile cvar to 1 before starting the game.

The background truck under the menu is drawn in 3D. This might be disabled by setting g_hmd_no_3d_background profile cvar to 1 before starting the game.

The 1.8.2.10 build allows use of controller to control the mouse pointer and provides ui to set a controller button to open the menu. When switching from the beta back to standard build of the game, the mouse cursor might stop working after you load profile which was used with the beta build. In that case you need to open the controls.sii file for that profile and replace the `fusion.mouse` string with `di8.mouse`.

The 1.9.22 version fixes a color aberration correction for the blue channel. It also reduces shaking of the cabin when Oculus mode is active. Previous behavior can be restored by setting g_hmd_reduced_cabin_movement profile cvar to 0.

Last edited by Komat on 15 Oct 2014 15:28, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013 15:38 

This is great news, thank you for supporting OR.
I am waiting for the consumer HD our UHD version of OR before i make the leap though. If i had a money growing tree it would be a different story, i would have flown a private jet to pick mine up if i had.

EDIT: I was about to say make a post on the OR forums but i see you already did. However, i think you deserve a separate thread. :)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013 16:46 

The demo support the oculus too ?
I tried to launch it with the -oculus command but the game is launching normally.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013 18:26 

Thor wrote:
The demo support the oculus too ?
I tried to launch it with the -oculus command but the game is launching normally.

Currently the feature is enabled only in the special build in the beta branch on Steam. It should become part of the standard build (and thus the demo) in a near future.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 16:42 

I tried it, and it's great, but everything looks way bigger than it should. I feel like a baby sitting in a giant truck. Is there a way to fix that?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 18:31 

Maybe you should lower FOV value

TO DEVS
Will final version of oculus rift have 3d tracking? In theory it should be easy to achieve. They would have to add led dots with different colors. For example 4 green dots in front of device. 4 red dots on sides and 4 blue on top and bottom. Then with simple web cam and image tracking software we could have decent 3d tracking. Just like move does on PS3. Webcam tracks color balls on controller.

some quick example

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013 22:44 

Just a question, have you planned to work on 3d anaglyph? Like in minecraft with red and blue layers.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 06:08 

Will the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED Glasses be supported? Details at the link below if anyone is unsure what this is
http://cinemizer.zeiss.com/cinemizer-ol ... /home.html

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 06:17 

A new 1.6.1.4 build fixes the "too big world" issue and also reduces blurriness of the image. If you were using the previous build, you need to reduce value of the r_manual_stereo_ui_dist_game cvar to avoid the advisor being positioned behind the driving wheel. A new r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale cvar was also added which allows to increase the size of the rendered image before the distortion is applied (and thus the quality) without need to increase the resolution.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013 06:39 

Atak_Snajpera wrote:
Maybe you should lower FOV value

FOV has nothing to do with world scale.

strike4ce wrote:
Will the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED Glasses be supported? Details at the link below if anyone is unsure what this is
http://cinemizer.zeiss.com/cinemizer-ol ... /home.html

This thing is a useless piece of , so no.

Last edited by Unco on 24 Oct 2013 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Removed foul language

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next