VR - experimental support

Digital X

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#41 Post by Digital X » 28 Oct 2013 21:26

Few questions really.

I hope to buy the Rift soon, few months maybe more in the future. Does the Dev Kit comes with EVERYTHING I need to play ETS2 with it? I have a HD TV, mouse and keyboard. I'm just a general gamer looking for some fun on ETS2, can I buy it, set it up with cables etc, configure it and off I go? Or will I need to purchase other equipment?
Cadde

#42 Post by Cadde » 28 Oct 2013 23:32

You shouldn't buy a dev kit if you don't know what you are doing. This isn't the consumer version and you are likely to have more issues than it's worth with it.
Also, the dev kit isn't the finished product. The finished product will probably blow the dev kit away.
On extended hiatus.
drifter

#43 Post by drifter » 29 Oct 2013 10:23

If paying $300 is not a big deal for some people, why not buying a dev kit now just for gaming ?
Digital X you will need a controller to play ETS2 : the best is a steering wheel (with force feedback if possible), at worst : a gamepad (wireless if possible).
Cadde

#44 Post by Cadde » 29 Oct 2013 11:17

Sure, if i where a multi-billionaire i could afford an oil tanker to spend my holidays on as well. Doesn't change the fact that an oil tanker is not the ideal cruise ship... ;)

Point is, the dev kits are targeted at game developers, people that want to showcase the technology and pure enthusiasts. If you want to spend your money on it then do so.
But he specifically said "I'm just a general gamer" and the dev kit isn't just plug and play like other consumer products.
So in his case (considering he said he would perhaps wait a few months) it would probably be better to get the consumer version when it hits.
On extended hiatus.
Digital X

#45 Post by Digital X » 29 Oct 2013 20:23

I'll hold off for the consumer version, I have ordered a wheel and pedals (Speedlink Drift OZ) coming tomorrow.
GeoGonzo

#46 Post by GeoGonzo » 02 Nov 2013 13:18

I've tried ETS2 with the Oculus twice, once when it was released (before the patch, could barely play for a few minutes) and once after the latest patch. I played for over an hour and loved every minute of it. It's just freaking amazing.

I think that looking out of the window will have to wait for the Oculus Rift DevKit2 (guessing first half 2014) or retail Oculus Rift, since they'll both have positional tracking... which sounds to me like the best way to solve the issue.

The only change I'd like from the current release would be to allow us to raise the resolution that our main screen plays at, since the Oculus Rift will automatically downsample while mirroring making the game look much better (or at least as good as the current Rift allows).

So anyway: This is great, thank you for making this, SCS! I'm thinking about starting a new VR career, and try the new DLC while I'm at it.
Komat
SCS Software

#47 Post by Komat » 05 Nov 2013 01:48

GeoGonzo wrote:I think that looking out of the window will have to wait for the Oculus Rift DevKit2 (guessing first half 2014) or retail Oculus Rift, since they'll both have positional tracking... which sounds to me like the best way to solve the issue.
The next build will provide better handling of the lookout so the head does not artificially move at all until about 85 degrees after which it will start the lookout like in the older builds.
The only change I'd like from the current release would be to allow us to raise the resolution that our main screen plays at, since the Oculus Rift will automatically downsample while mirroring making the game look much better (or at least as good as the current Rift allows).
The r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale cvar can be used to increase the rendering resolution before the distortion.
Komat
SCS Software

#48 Post by Komat » 05 Nov 2013 10:25

The new 1.7.0.3 build changes following:
  • Adds limited head movement to allow lookout from the window for high angles without moving the head otherwise. If you used the previous build, you need to change the value of g_oculus_no_artifical_movement cvar to 0 to re-enable the movement.
  • Uses a experimental layout of the full-featured (all widgets unlocked) desktop menu to move the ui elements to the center to make them more visible (no other changes were done so there is still space for improvement). If you used the previous build, you might want to change the value of r_manual_stereo_ui_fov cvar to something higher (new default is 80) to take advantage of the improved visibility. Can be disabled by setting g_oculus_no_special_menu cvar to 1.
  • The background truck under the menu is now shown in 3d. The camera movement is not changed so the camera might be sometimes too close to the truck. Can be disabled by setting g_oculus_no_3d_background cvar to 1.
SiSL
SCS Software

#49 Post by SiSL » 05 Nov 2013 10:52

Komat wrote:The new 1.7.0.3 build changes following:
  • Adds limited head movement to allow lookout from the window for high angles without moving the head otherwise. If you used the previous build, you need to change the value of g_oculus_no_artifical_movement cvar to 0 to re-enable the movement.
  • Uses a experimental layout of the full-featured (all widgets unlocked) desktop menu to move the ui elements to the center to make them more visible (no other changes were done so there is still space for improvement). If you used the previous build, you might want to change the value of r_manual_stereo_ui_fov cvar to something higher (new default is 80) to take advantage of the improved visibility. Can be disabled by setting g_oculus_no_special_menu cvar to 1.
  • The background truck under the menu is now shown in 3d. The camera movement is not changed so the camera might be sometimes too close to the truck. Can be disabled by setting g_oculus_no_3d_background cvar to 1.
Now I want this device

Any EST about update date?
GeoGonzo

#50 Post by GeoGonzo » 07 Nov 2013 00:08

Komat wrote:The next build will provide better handling of the lookout so the head does not artificially move at all until about 85 degrees after which it will start the lookout like in the older builds.
Woah, this works really well!
Komat wrote:The r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale cvar can be used to increase the rendering resolution before the distortion.
So it does! God damn. This is simply amazing! I've driven for hours with the Oculus with no motion sickness (due to the more relaxed pace of this game, I guess?)... and it honestly changes so much how the game feels! Like when you are driving down a highway through the night and the lamps change the lightning inside the cabin, or how real and THERE everything is. Seriously, can't get enough. I already liked this game quite a bit but VR really does makes it shine.

Return to “General discussion about the game”