VR - experimental support

drifter

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#31 Post by drifter » 27 Oct 2013 14:18

Great, almost no more drift now.
(Still not found where my FPS are gone, will try to reinstall the game)
Fluke

#32 Post by Fluke » 27 Oct 2013 14:32

Hi,

Picked this up the other day purely on the basis of Rift support, and I'm having a blast with it :)

Just being able to switch to normal 2d for the menus is a simple but genius idea when retrofitting an existing game (especially with the low res of the devkit).

One idea though regarding the sat-nav - have you played Dreadhalls? When you glance down, the map moves up into your view. I think that would work fantastically for the floating sat-nav. Having it so that if you just glance down 5-10 degrees so that the sat-nav floats up into the center of your view would be fantastic. This would also let you read the bottom row of info on it, which currently just a blur due to where it's positioned in the out of focus area near the edge of the Rift optics.

Anyway, I never thought I'd enjoy this sort of game, but your Rift implementation has me well and truly hooked!
Fluke

#33 Post by Fluke » 27 Oct 2013 15:36

Just had a quick go with the new build and ran into some massive drift problems.

In the previous build, once I'd hit F12 to center my view, and assuming I didn't take the Rift off, my view remained properly centered - I didn't get any drift at all. With the new build however, I started getting drift within a couple of minutes.

It seemed to go between about 20 degree off center in either direction before auto-centering over time and then drifting off again. At the end of my drive though, it was that far off, with my head facing forward IRL, I was facing directly towards my wing mirror in the game. As mentioned, in the previous build I never encountered drift at all (my Rift is up to date with the new bios and calibrated in the Oculus Config Util) in about 7-8 hours of play.

The head/neck position is a lot better now. Is there any way to enable the automatic "look out of the window" feature though, as that was really useful to be able to do without assigning a button? Maybe it could just happen if you look towards the window you're next to, but not have it occur if you glance into the cab.
Cadde

#34 Post by Cadde » 27 Oct 2013 19:07

About drifting issues, even with my TrackIR i tend to constantly reset it (not so much due to drift but because i am changing the way i am sitting in my chair) and i have mapped F12 to one of my device buttons.

May help those who have constant drifting issues.
On extended hiatus.
Bmitch1012

#35 Post by Bmitch1012 » 27 Oct 2013 19:38

I've tried everything I get head tracking but no stereo... It just launches normally and I have head tracking in the cab. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
Juniordee

#36 Post by Juniordee » 27 Oct 2013 19:47

Just tried the new build.

The drift issue is mostly gone, I was having zero drift until I stopped for diesel where I went back to the menu to remap my engine stop key. When I came back to the game from the menu and recentered my Rift, it drifted right away where I had to recenter twice within 5 minutes before it stopped drifting again. After that it didn't drift anymore. A BIG improvement from before.

It's a shame we can't look outside the window anymore though, made backing up easier.
Juniordee

#37 Post by Juniordee » 27 Oct 2013 20:27

Bmitch1012 wrote:I've tried everything I get head tracking but no stereo... It just launches normally and I have head tracking in the cab. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
You added -oculus to the launch options and selected the oculus beta under the betas tab?
Bmitch1012

#38 Post by Bmitch1012 » 28 Oct 2013 00:54

Yep
drifter

#39 Post by drifter » 28 Oct 2013 04:47

Just to say I got back almost all my FPS after reinstalling the game.
(weird because I didn't change anything before my game start to run choppy)

"When you glance down, the map moves up into your view."
Good idea. For now I disable the GPS when I don't use it ("GPS mode" binded to a button)

"It's a shame we can't look outside the window anymore."
+1 a compromise would be nice.
noose

#40 Post by noose » 28 Oct 2013 07:49

Yes, looking out the window when backing up would be great to get back! I Used it so much when backing up!!

Return to “General discussion about the game”