Printable Road Atlas of ETS2 with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.49 - WIP

SenseFM

Printable Road Atlas of ETS2 with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.49 - WIP

#1 Post by SenseFM » 22 Dec 2021 19:54

Hi everyone, I present you my project to map (almost) every city, road, village and landmark currently featured in Euro Truck Simulator 2 and its DLCs! The result is the road map below which, made in an atlas style, is also meant to be printed and used as a physical map to navigate in the game. The project is a work in progress and will be updated alongside the game. Enjoy and feel free to comment any suggestions or mistakes that you find the map!

You can also find a version for ATS in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=178&t=306951

To view and download the HD version, just right-click on the image below and 'Open it as a new tab!'

If you prefer to reject the forum's cookies, you can also download the map by clicking on this link: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/533 ... ee23_o.png

WARNING: The original image that will open after clicking the picture below is pretty large (22 MB). Watch out if you're browsing using mobile data!

[ external image ]

FAQs and extra information

Why is X place not in the map?

To avoid the over cluttering of the map, I made some rules for myself:
  • Features located inside a marked city are not included because there is basically not enough space for them.
  • You will see that most of the identified inaccessible villages are located in revamped Germany, Austria and in DLC areas newer than the Scandinavia DLC. This is because since the release of Vive la France! (VlF) DLC, the standards for map building are much more accurate to real life, making it easier to identify even very small villages with the help of Google Maps. In the map areas released before VlF, most of the inaccessible villages visible from the roads are fictional and have a purely decorative purpose. For this reason, in the old base map areas, the Going East! DLC areas and the Scandinavia DLC areas, only the inaccessible villages that are in easily identifiable places have been included in the map.
    For example, Den Oever in the Netherlands is shown in the map because it is located in the western end of the Afsluitdijk Dam. Cities such as Worcester, Cambrai or Gorzów Wielkopolski have been included because they appear to be large in the game and can be roughly identified by their position in relation to rivers or road interchanges.
  • The towns that are visible but inaccessible while being part of metropolitan areas have only been included if they appear specifically signed in the game. This has been made to avoid to have too many labels around city areas.
  • Mountain passes are only shown when a notable change in elevation exists in the game.
  • Airports are not shown as landmarks since it’s easy to recognize them and are pretty similar between each other.
  • Important industries, such as nuclear power plants or hydroelectric dams are currently included as landmarks, but I am not sure about keeping them in the map.
  • For spacing reasons, not every landmark in the map is labeled.
Keep in mind this is still a Work In Progress and it probably has several mistakes. Feel free to comment or suggest any errors or information that you think is missing!

How did you make the map?

I used QGIS (https://www.qgis.org/en/site/), a free mapmaking software that lets you edit geospatial information to create and analyze maps. QGIS lets you use OpenStreetMap or Google Maps as a background basemap for reference, which helped me to add towns and landmarks as points and "draw" roads and highways as vectors. The background of the map was made combining several 'shapefiles'. Shapefiles are files that contain geographic data for any topic (they can have information about coastlines, borders, mountains, rivers...). I get my basic shapefiles from www.naturalearthdata.com, which offers public domain data.

Once I had more or less everything in place, I exported the map as a PNG, and I made the final edits and refinement with the paint.net image editing software.

How did you find information for the landmarks?

Most of the research for the landmarks on this map was made 'manually', that is, examining every in-game road with the dev cam, taking note of every interesting place, and then trying to find their IRL counterparts on Google Maps or OpenStreetMap. This was sometimes hard for the most obscure landmarks, and in some cases, especially in the older parts of the map, I found some fictional sites that didn't exist in real life, such as some castles in Germany and Hungary.

And again, feel free to comment any errors or missing places that you see in the map! Even now I am still finding new villages and landmarks that I hadn't caught before. Enjoy!
Last edited by SenseFM on 14 Dec 2023 18:52, edited 15 times in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: ETS2 1.43 Atlas Project - WIP - Road map of the towns, roads and landmarks featured in the game

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 22 Dec 2021 20:00

thats not a mod, that is a map made for ETS (and ATS) that can be viewed outside the game that resembles a real atlas map
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
parasaurolophus67

Re: ETS2 1.43 Atlas Project - WIP - Road map of the towns, roads and landmarks featured in the game

#4 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 22 Dec 2021 20:01

Oh. Just the title and the colour words made me think it was a mod. My apologies.
SenseFM

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ETS2 with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.43 - WIP

#5 Post by SenseFM » 22 Dec 2021 20:57

^As xXCARL1992Xx said, it's not a mod but a printable road map. I see how the title can confuse some people, so I've changed it a bit.
jackalnxt

Re: Printable Road Atlas of ETS2 with all current towns, roads and landmarks - 1.43 - WIP

#6 Post by jackalnxt » 23 Dec 2021 07:10

Thank you for the hard work.
Desperado

#7 Post by Desperado » 23 Dec 2021 09:23

Many thanks for your maps - only can say - wonderful - lot of thanks - stay safe all the time, wish nice hollydays, best regards Mike
Always drive safely and appropriately - in simulation as well as in real life ;)
IvanKuz

#8 Post by IvanKuz » 23 Dec 2021 13:17

Holy moly, this is impressive! Thank you for this amazing work!
Trucker Nik

#9 Post by Trucker Nik » 23 Dec 2021 20:30

Very nice map, great compliment to the author for the work done, hat down
festmache

#10 Post by festmache » 29 Jan 2022 19:26

@SenseFM, nice work! Very cool to see the in-game maps represented in atlas style. Nice touch with the minor towns and landmarks 👍
vanilla player, loving ETS2, loving ATS even more! | 🇳🇱 🇪🇺
Map with all cities | Personal cabin accessories

[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”