More traffic

fleming164

More traffic

#1 Post by fleming164 » 07 Apr 2013 20:18

Now this may seem like a strange suggestion but I think what this game is lacking in is traffic jams.

I don't know about other countries but here in the UK, rush hour is standstill hour. I just think with a little more traffic the game would become more realistic?

Anyone agree?
n4gix

Re: More traffic

#2 Post by n4gix » 08 Apr 2013 00:41

fleming164 wrote:Now this may seem like a strange suggestion but I think what this game is lacking in is traffic jams.

I don't know about other countries but here in the UK, rush hour is standstill hour. I just think with a little more traffic the game would become more realistic?

Anyone agree?
Obviously you haven't encountered one yet. I've run into a few that were actually "gridlocked," meaning NOBODY could move at all! I went into "helicopter mode" and took a look from several hundred meters. Looking straight down, there was a long line of cars in both directions, completely encircling the town's outer streets!

I finally had to save the game and then reload to clear up the gridlocked traffic... :?
Last edited by n4gix on 08 Apr 2013 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)
JCFast

#3 Post by JCFast » 08 Apr 2013 09:42

My first inclination would be to say yes, let's have more realistic amounts of cars on the road!

But on second thought... Let's not. Sometimes going through an intersection with just a few AI drivers in front of you gets you agitated as some naughty word. It would be nice on highways though, but since the cars can't disappear from it, it'd jam the traffic somewhere. While it is realistic, it's also from a gaming point of view very annoying and boring like it is in the real life. Plus I don't know how it would affect the performance of the game on lower end specs?

But I would be interested in seeing more cars if they happen to improve the AI quite a bit in the next patch or two!
FirstFlyte

#4 Post by FirstFlyte » 09 Apr 2013 02:22

n4gix wrote:---snip---
I went into "helicopter mode" and took a look from several hundred meters.
---snip---
I'm obviously missing out on something. What is the 'helicopter mode' of which you speak? A zoomed out camera view or something?

FirstFlyte
FirstFlyte

#5 Post by FirstFlyte » 09 Apr 2013 03:24

fleming164 wrote:Now this may seem like a strange suggestion but I think what this game is lacking in is traffic jams.

Anyone agree?
I think I'd prefer to see 'better traffic'. There are certain times of day when traffic in cities already borders on the insane. Just adding more would also mean having to adjust the due times for payloads I would imagine.

What I would like to see (and this thread is quickly becoming a Feature Requests & Wishlist Items forum candidate), is longer traffic lights (try 2x longer for starters). Fix the AI so the intersections clear a little faster, but also get twice as many vehicles thru.

In addition, I don't believe I've yet seen an AI vehicle enter a motorway and remain on it - most vehicles (if not all) remain in the outside lane and promptly exit the motorway again. Having these AI vehicles attempt lane changes (intelligently mind you) and ease into motorway traffic would be a big plus in my opinion.

FirstFlyte
PAB

#6 Post by PAB » 09 Apr 2013 06:00

FirstFlyte wrote: What is the 'helicopter mode' of which you speak? A zoomed out camera view or something?
FirstFlyte
zoomed out camera :0

move the truck to another location: F9

Very practical when you are stuck in traffic jams :)
fleming164

#7 Post by fleming164 » 09 Apr 2013 11:47

Around an hour after I posted this I encounted my fist proper jam!

I was thinking more along the lines of Moterways/Highways as there is never a high volume of traffic on them.

I agree with FirstFlyte, the traffic could do with being a little smarter. The fact that they stop when lanes merge drives me mad (no pun intended :lol: ).

I'm looking forward to the next patch as there hasn't been one since I started, I wonder what it'll include...
celestra

#8 Post by celestra » 09 Apr 2013 16:48

The jams i would not mind so much its the AI traffic giving way when it shouldnt at the junctions and the traffic from the direction thats moving going round the junction just often enough to keep the other vehicles from moving again . i have recently started leaving room from the vehicle in front and then after my patience runs out overtaking the standing vehicles and forcing my way through the junction / motorway exit .
n4gix

#9 Post by n4gix » 09 Apr 2013 23:52

I got annoyed enough one day that I 'gently' pushed a string of six cars out of my way... :)
Fr. Bill
Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Max Modeling for Eaglesoft Development Group & Military Visualizations
It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading, (Shin'a'in Proverb) :)

Return to “General discussion about the game”